My Bass Traps - Finally!

ruckus328

Nov 2, 2009
Philly USA
Just spent the last 2 weeks building these son-of-a-bitches, so just thought I'd post some pics. Took step-by-step pictures also, so was thinking of doing a tutorial of what I did if anyone's interested. All-in all they cost me about $35 (stuffed) a piece to build. Made 13 in total, I'll post pics of the room after I finish mounting them all.

Black_Trap.JPG

Black_Trap_Close.JPG

Black_Trap_Mount-1.JPG

Black_Trap_Mount-2.JPG

Purple_Traps-1.JPG

Looks pro! Which materials did yo use? Do you recommend holes in the sides / do they have a positive effect? I'm planning to build some traps next month, DIY fun :kickass:

Yeah they look top notch. Is there any purpose to the holes in the side? I'm going to embark on a DIY spree once I've finished my booth next week.

This forum could really use a DIY Home Brew Studio Gear sticky thread!!

Besides looking cool:kickass:, yes - the holes serve a big purpose. They leave more of the insulation exposed, thus increasing the amount of absorption. I've heard different opinions as to whether or not they help much for HF reflection panels (they definitely don't hurt though), but for corner bass trapping they are definitely a good thing. It does add quite a bit of work to the process though, but now that it's done I'm glad I did it.

I'm going to write a tutorial with pics this week. I got the idea for that design on gearsluts but made my own changes/improvements on it and also learned some REALLY hard lessons that I'll share so nobody makes the same mistakes I did. I pretty much have it down to about 2 hours each, start to finish, although if you're going to make them I highly recommend doing them in as big of lots that you can afford. It really cuts down on the cost and overall time when you've got an assembly line going and buy the materials in bulk.

Fuuuuuuu, sick ass bass traps look sick. Great work man, looking forward to the tutorial - treated the walls for reflections and highs/mids but I can still hear the low-end issues very clearly.

Nice job. Looks like you did everything right. I always laugh when I see most peoples bass traps in studios around here, they are always just some bare OC703 with a shitty fabric wrap job. With just a little more patience you can get results like yours.

Nice job. Looks like you did everything right. I always laugh when I see most peoples bass traps in studios around here, they are always just some bare OC703 with a shitty fabric wrap job. With just a little more patience you can get results like yours.

I would have loved to leave the wood exposed but I was dealing with some pretty ugly (fence scraps I got for free) red cedar wood for the framing. :lol:

Thanks alot for all the compliments guys, really. I'll have that tutorial done sometime soon (probably around Tues-Wed). Just to give a quick rundown though, I used MDF for the frames. Normally, I would NEVER think to use MDF, especially raw MDF, but after seeing someone else do it that way I couldn't argue that it didn't look good. And provided you're not putting these outside (lol), you shouldn't have to worry about moisture exposure. If you live in a high humidity area though, you might want to think about some kind of coating (at least a clear coat). I had thought about painting them and even stained a piece to see what it would look like. The stain looked nice (I can post a pic of what that looks like) but I already was looking at 3 weeks of downtime with the trap build and moving into my new mixing room so I just decided to leave them raw this go-around. I might stain them later however it is probably a better idea to do whatever you're going to do before you attach the fabric.

A 4' x 8' sheet costs about $25 (US) in my area and you get about 8 traps out of that. So that's about $3 a trap. If you don't want to use MDF your only other alternative is 1x5 Pine. Which runs around $5-$6 per 8' piece. So somewhere around $12+ per trap. And good luck finding straight pieces lol. Plywood won't work because you'll see the layers in the front and particle board will look like crap.

Note though you'll need a tablesaw or access to one if you use sheets. Or call around and find a local lumber yard that will do the cuts for you. Home Depot/Lowes won't be able to do it (not with any sort of accuracy).

More to come.