My best mix finished (Panic Room Master, Guitarhack Reamp)

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

Some of you might remember a track from this project having been posted earlier as I was beating myself up, trying to get a decent guitar tone.

Well, this project is finally wrapped, and we just got the masters back from Plec who, as usual, did a stellar job.

This is the first track off the CD. It is just an EP and of course was subject to budget and time limitations, so please don't judge too harshly. Regardless I hope you enjoy.

Here is 'Drones': http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/Untruth - Drones.mp3

You can find out more about the band here: http://www.myspace.com/untruth1

If anyone asks for details I'd be happy to share what I can.

All the best!

Plec definitely made the low-end nice and fat and overall the mix sounds bigger and more pleasing to the ear. I'm comparing it to the final mix of the other song you posted.

Once again, props to Plec and of course, you! I really like the guitar/bass sound and the huge pummel they are giving together.

This mix sounds great. My only gripe is digital clipping, I'm assuming from a compressor somewhere, on the guitars when the first come in.

This mix is fantastic bro! Any and all details would be great... Which samples are the drums? How much of the natural kit is left in there if any? Any info about the guitar tone would be great too, although I know how totally ridiculous you said you had to get with the EQ to get anything close to what you wanted out of it...

Nice Ermz just heard the myspace track and wanted to listen to the mp3. :headbang:

Excellent Mix. Hopefully you have some more Melbourne Metal bands lined up.

Props to guitarhack too! always love his tones.

Sounds great Ermz, all the hard work paid off. Plec glued it together nicely. I do believe it is your best mix. I like this extended ending better than the one you gave me initially as well. This is probably my favourite song off the EP. Love the riffs.

@poid, Cheers dude. :kickass:

This sounds amazing! I did notice some slight clipping in the beginning as others mentioned, but when all the instruments came in, I couldn't hear it anymore. The bass guitar grind is outstanding as well.

I really like the song also. It reminds me of the Colony days of In Flames.

Mastered slightly too loud for my tastes, but otherwise , this clip is proof of your amazing talent for mixing.

This is just fantastic! There is no other way to describe it.

Props to you for the recording and stuff obviously, but also, MY GOD is this music/songwriting awesome or what? :D

Nice Ermz! I don't think this song gells quite the same with the mix as the other track did, but that's probably just because I listed to the other one so much and it was a far superior song IMO. Still a great mix and as always I'm loving the space created for the vocals.

This sounds amazing!

In the beginning I can hear the clipping too...it's gone after the intro though.

I would be interested in the non-mastered file; basically your "mix file" and how it sounds compared to the mastered file.
I'm always curious about how much the mastering process really changed the sound.

Was the mix of this song posted in another thread? :)

guitar chain. plz.

Maxon808->6505 Lead Channel->Mesa Recto Straight->57->API A2D Double-tracked.

Then Ermz used two or three 648-Band EQ's to get it to sound the way he wanted. :lol:

Neb, unfortunately hearing Possessing 12472 times blaring through my cab and monitors has kinda ruined it for me for a little while :lol:. Keep listening to Drones it will grow on you. The riff at 1:41 slays me. :headbang:

I think I liked that track because you could hear each instrument almost solod afew times, which showed off abit more of the production, especially the bass.
I'm also abit sick at the moment, so my ears are shot.

Hey guys!

Thanks a lot for the amazing feedback. Some of you guys are too kind - it's just an EP after all! Have yet to get around to releasing the full-length projects for the year (which you guys will be the first to hear, of course).

First thing: The band have uploaded another track called 'Force Fed' on their Myspace. http://www.myspace.com/untruth1

Second thing: The clipping was one of the first things I noticed too, but Plec assured me it was the best compromise he could get when shooting for the sort of RMS levels we were going for here. It's due to the long chords being held. The rest of the tracks don't have it quite so bad. I'm cool with it, as long as the band are, and being an EP, which is ultimately a promotional tool, it needs to 'stand up' to other hot commercial releases.

Third thing: Here is the 'unmastered' version of Drones. With the stereo bus chain I was mixing through: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/drones-test-2-altending.mp3

Okay, so Adam asked for some details, so I'll give you the rough outline here. There's a lot of source-specific stuff going on in the mix, so that won't help as much as knowing what was used to track and start with.

1. Drums: We started with the drummer's normal kit, and I've completely forgotten what it was, or what the cymbals were. All I recall was that one of the toms wouldn't hold tune, one of the chinas was cracked and the drummer hit very softly, so it was a foregone conclusion that a lot of sample replacement would be necessary. Overheads were captured with a spaced pair of NT5s. Here is a picture for better illustration:
l_a9e9c6c89b4441c380ad0ea0fee2a793.jpg

In the mix I converted all hits to MIDI via Drumtracker. I used it to trigger Slate Kick 15, and blended some more 'ticky' high-end from some sample or other I had lying around. Snare was the SD2.0 Nir Z, with a very large dose of room mics blended in. Toms were also the standard clear SD2.0 toms. This was the first time I used SD2.0 on anything other than messing around.

Bass: Some low model BC Rich or whatever with passive PUs run right into the DI on my Millennia Origin. He is a finger player, and played with a lot of ferocity, hence where all that gorgeous fret grit is coming from. I wanted to feel that filth all over my face in the mix, so I cranked the high end on the NSEQ (on the Millennia) and the Opto comp on the way down. In the mix I band passed in standard Sneap forum fashion and treated the highs with Audio Damage Kombinat's 'Saturation' for more grit. I did a lot more shit than that, but I can't recall off by heart. This was all summed back on a group, which was treated with Ampeg SVX for tone shaping, a heavy dose of L2 limiting, Stillwell Rocket and a bunch of EQ and multiband. I was flying blind at this stage because my room has horrid low-end and I can only guess what is happening down there.

Guitars: Schecter Blackjack w/ a JB in bridge. Run right into the DI on the Millennia (a mistake I will not make again) and taken right out into the Multiface. Guitarhack's reamping chain was listed above. The processing in the mix is too numerous to both list and be useful to any of you. Only few people in the world have the necessary amount of self-loathing needed to pull this off.

Vocals: Here is my favourite, and the ONLY part of the EP that was tracked right. U87 into Distressor into API 512c. That really says it all. Distressor was on Dist 3 mode, giving me grit on the way down. Up to 7dB reduction - I wanted this slammed so I didn't have to fuck it up with shitty ITB compressors. The chain was glorious, the vocalist amazingly tight, and I really couldn't have asked for anything else.

So I think that's about the core of most of it. I hope it's somewhat helpful, and thanks once again for all the responses! Please keep em firing.

Also, just a massive thanks towards GH for doing those last minute reamps. They really saved my ass and are the reason impulse rhythm guitars aren't featured in the final mix.

Though I should mention all the leads and solos are done with 6505 directly into Catharsis fredman impulses :)

I love it man, the songs, the mix, all of it! The clipping is there for a bit but yeah it goes away quickly XD

Dude, seriously, all of your work gets better and better and this is an EP, I can't wait for the EOTE album *Drool*
I can't until we do our full length at some point. Unfortunately, I think as a band we aren't good enough for you yet haha ;)

But when we are butthole tight there's another album for you dude haha!