My First Katatonia CD

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
The only stuff I had heard about Katatonia was that they were usually lumped with such bands as Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, and my favourites, In Flames and Opeth. With company like that, why not give 'em a shot?

So recently I bought the CD TONIGHT'S DECISION and was quite suprised. Very mellow CD. With clean vocals. Not what I was expecting, so I need at least a few more listens before this music connects with me. But not bad at all.

And I heard the new one, VIVA EMPTINESS, is pretty good too. I suppose that's worth getting as well? We shall see.

If you're an Opeth fan, you're likely to enjoy Brave Murder Day. Mikael from Opeth growls on the album and it is regarded as a classic by many. Post BMD has clean vocals, but every album is still of a high quality. Tonight's Decision is a very good album. For My Demons, I Am Nothing, Right Into the Bliss, A Darkness Coming and Black Session are brilliant songs.

Yeah Katatonia's quite good.

The somewhat exciting thing about them is that I definitely don't think they've reached their full potential yet, they've made some very good albums, but I believe they are capable of making a masterpiece in the near future.

Forget everything I said...

This CD is awesome...

I must admit that when I posted this, I had only listened to the first four or five songs, then when I got to the brilliant ""Right Into The Bliss," it was all uphill. Awesome, awesome stuff. I'm ready to grab the next one I can find.

Last Fair Deal Gone Down was my first...

Glad you got into Tonight's Decision that fast Overlord,it took me about 6 months to even manage to listen to the whole cd through on my comp. :p I think that Right Into The Bliss is the song that got me hooked on Decision too. Been listening to Nightmares By The Sea the most lately. Way too good.
I second epi5ode666's comment.

Okay, so not to start up a second thread (some people don't like me doing that :D ) , I will say that I just picked up my second Katatonia CD...

DANCE OF DECEMBER SOULS.

I know it's gonna be different, since I went on the Katatonia site and this is one of their earliest, but I still am excited!

Viva Emptiness was my first, and I have been going backwards with last fair deal and tonights decision. All are great but VE is my favorite of three - it has heavier sounding guitars, more intricate song construction, and has the best production values. all are good though!

Yeah. They had VIVA EMPTINESS in stock, but I figured that it was the popular CD of Katatonia and being that it was also a clean vocal album like TONIGHT'S DECISION, I went for DANCE OF DECEMBER SOULS. Simply because I don't know how long it will be in stock and I thought that VIVA EMPTINESS would be in stock for awhile. I will still get it when I have a chance.

shivering corpse said:
Dance of December Souls rules.
I don't listen to it a whole lot, but when I do put it in I like it quite a bit.
Bad production, but that's to be expected.

What are you talking about? Bad production my ass. That album sounds great, the production is just perfect for that kind of music. It wouldn't have the same cold and desolate atmosphere if it had some goddamn superclean Abyss sounds.

Hail! For me, the best Katatonia's album or maybe the best doom metal's album (haha XD) is Dance Of December Souls... All songs are perfect, specially Velvet Thorns and In Silence Enshrined.. I love them all... It's simply wonderful, and I don't think the production is bad... ¬.¬