My late christmas gift to you guize: Full song ready to be mixed

Sounds pretty monstrous, GH. It sounds like it could use a little less of that low-end 'boom', since it's cutting into bass territory, haha, but aside from that I think a workable tone (for a Krank :p)!

PS. Crackling is a mark of the pros. You aren't doing modern metal the right way unless your master is clipping everywhere! :D

6505. No Krank. I know, bass heavy, I reamped blindly without any backing track. A little EQ to tame that should help.............maybe. :) Gots to tame the Boom. :lol:

6505. No Krank. I know, bass heavy, I reamped blindly without any backing track. A little EQ to tame that should help.............maybe. :) Gots to tame the Boom. :lol:

6505!? Seriously!? Crazy. I suppose they have in many ways sounded very similar in the past. I keep coming back to the fact that your room must be imparting a ton of tonal character on all the reamps, because 'fizz characteristics' are always the same. But anyway, great work! Especially considering it was blind.

Nice one, Greg. Interesting to hear the backing track with a tone next to it. Also, it was obviously the Gorilla combo! Monstrous sound, them things.

I'm still hanging on freakin Ola to give us some Rectoreamps to play with :cry:

Thanks, Ermz. The tone was just kind of magical. Threw the mics up and it was done. This was actually my Windsor with a heavy boost in front. I'm starting to thank myself every time I took this modification as far as I did; it never fails me. :kickass:

I'm hoping that between you and Ola, we can put together some DIs/backing tracks for my equipment shootout.

Finally got a chance to listen through everyones take at this, and some of you guys got some really great tones.

Thanks Ermz and Morgan for backing tracks for the guys.

And as requested by Ermin for mesa miced signal(they're not reamped, I recorded them on the fly for the youtube video. If you listen closely you can actually hear some of my string hits in the background)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3423189/mesatracks.zip (Dropbox give it a 15 min)

I'll be sure to let you guys mix some of my other songs aswell if you like. Just takes a bit of arranging and bouncing.

Trying to make a comment for all you guys who attempted this:

Dandelium - Just awesome, I like the bass alot on this one.

Dawolf - Cool with some more djenty/death attempts on this. sounds sick!

Morgan - Awesome sound and awesome drums(but I prefer my own take on the drums ;) ) I don't like the string section though, If I put on strings I would use them in another way. But I really admire the effort you put in this.

GuitarHack - sounds awesome but the backingtrack and guitars are out of sync ;)

Ongel - Like always the ampsim sounds really convincing!

zakky - just really brutal sounding!

media12 - Sounds good but maybe a bit dull sounding mix overall. Great work otherwise!

G1 - Really evil sounding guitars!

greg - Sounds really solid and convincing! Fucking love it that you guys did such awesome mixing on this!

Kyle - Sounds good but kinda grainy and compressed. At least in my headphones. Really nice attempt though.

Catharsis - Also awesome tone on this one!

Only just saw this now, much thanks for posting this up man, anything for mix practice is hugely appreciated. I'll give it a go soon

Hmm, anyway of somehow getting each of the individual drums in WAV? I don't really have one of those drum software programs that support MIDI, nor am I going to go and pirate one for the sake of being able to use that MIDI. Would be appreciated if someone were to post up WAV files of the individual drum tracks.

Righto, fixed mine up. Everyone seemed to love the first snare but it wasn't cutting it for me. Same samples, different processing (3 limiters at different spots in the chain to kill that 'hardness'). Also mostly the original drum MIDI now, cymbals probably wrong in spots cos I had to guess what they'd be.

Ola, you didn't say... do you mind if I use this excerpt for my studio page? I'd prefer to have the strings, just so its something different to what I've already got up, but if you want them gone that's fine too.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/OlaLong12.mp3

Had a lot of problems with the low-end on this.. every time it was sounding good on my headphones I'd take it to my speakers and it'd sound really boomy. After about 2 hours I realised the treble on my speakers had been turned all the way down -_-.

one a side note; I'm really wanting to get into the whole Nebula scene atm. Everythings sounding good but its just popping out weirdly. Maybe its my way of mixing (and I'm sure I could fix it ITB), but I think that that slight analogue emulation (past the saturation plugs I already use) would really fix a lot of these issues up. Pity its such a resource hog and a simple mix like this is already using up ~70% of my CPU.

Alright here's a quick attempt at getting Ola's guitars into mine: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/OlaTrack-ErmzMix2.mp3

Still not happy with the guitars. Those fucking Benton cabs are deceptive, I tell ya. They will present the image of what sounds like a good raw tone, but then you take the tools to em and they completely fall apart under any EQ whatsoever. The issue is that there is a very prominent voicing at 2k with these guitars, and that's generally very bad for mixes since bass grit and vocals tend to live around there. As soon as too much is removed however the tone absolutely collapses in on itself and sounds stuffy/wimpy... so I had to really restrain myself here and do as little processing as humanly possible. I guess it's ok for a quick attempt, but nothing I'd let go on a record!

I had several problems with this. Especially on trying to get some loudness in the track. She clipped easily. Mastering is not my strong point. I spent most of the time doing eq on guitars. Drums doesnt have almost nothing and the kick it´s kinda weak. This a few hours mix, so it´s far from being great. But it was fun and I learn something. Thanks Ola.:)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1457645/feared.mp3

Hey dudes, here´s my guitar mix using soloc > le456 > GH NewIR1 and morgan´s backings.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/929252/Goddamn Git.Mix1.mp3

Thanks for sharing...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/OlaLong2.mp3

An early attempt. Fucking strings are still cutting out on export.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/OlaDrumBass.mp3
Just the first minute, hope that's ok. I have to go through and edit all the cymbal hits cos I'm using Slate ><

^And morgan, great drumsound as usual. Can you tell wich slate samples you use? I own slate 2.0. Any comparable samples in the 2.0 platinum pack. I know many people here using mostly the same ssd samples, but i can´t find out wich ones. Thanks.

Alright here's a quick attempt at getting Ola's guitars into mine: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/OlaTrack-ErmzMix2.mp3

Still not happy with the guitars. Those fucking Benton cabs are deceptive, I tell ya. They will present the image of what sounds like a good raw tone, but then you take the tools to em and they completely fall apart under any EQ whatsoever. The issue is that there is a very prominent voicing at 2k with these guitars, and that's generally very bad for mixes since bass grit and vocals tend to live around there. As soon as too much is removed however the tone absolutely collapses in on itself and sounds stuffy/wimpy... so I had to really restrain myself here and do as little processing as humanly possible. I guess it's ok for a quick attempt, but nothing I'd let go on a record!

I have the same problem with mine, veerry aggressive upper mids and highs.

Your mix sounds monstrous, especially the bass and the drums (toms at the start... soo nice), but the guitars are really lacking definition at some points, especially when the guitar parts get fast. I'd back of the gain a tad and maybe take out a bit less at 2k.

Joe

It might be the guitar/pickups causing the upper mid harshness. But I was using Ola's original Recto tone, so I don't have the ability to dial back the gain or anything like that. But I will try to make it more intelligible. The thing about my mixing approach is that I compromise the fidelity of the individual track to make the greater whole sound 'better'. Sometimes, as in Ola's case, you lose some pretty awesome playing nuances, but you always have to remind yourself you're serving the greater good.

I think in this case I may have over-processed the guitars though without realizing. I'm not used to dealing with tracks done with players of his caliber, so my inclination with guitars is always to process more rather than less. It's a bad habit I need to break out of when dealing with guys that can actually play the instrument.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I'll try to finalize it tomorrow and also use it to post that Nebula vs ITB shoot-out some folks wanted.