My Latest Work (literally just finished this)

Was this the first time you rolled with the E-channel, Joey?

yeah

his voice is harsh in the mid range, and i didnt like it through the 1176

so i rolled the e channel and it sounded great

when i record vocals, i put almost every line on a different track because:
1. i hate automation
2. i might want each one to be at a different volume
3. i might want each one to have different delay's / effects

so to avoid plugin chaos, i bake (aka process) each edited take with the "vocal chain" i want it to have

sometimes i'll do this on a per line basis if stuff comes out weird (like adjust the ratio for one line, etc, etc)

i dont ride the gain when i track, so soft vocals are really quiet, and that will usually require a +6 or more db input into the chain as well

Yea I was thinking the same thing before you posted this. Its insane the little production goodies joey sneaks in a mix. There never to much either and just make the production a bit more exciting. Great job Joey and this band has come a long way with your help! You already know this though....

thats sorta weird though, because i always shoot for "over the top"

maybe if people could hear it with the guitars turned off... the effects are really loud but covered up with all the gain

haha:headbang:

yeah

his voice is harsh in the mid range, and i didnt like it through the 1176

so i rolled the e channel and it sounded great

when i record vocals, i put almost every line on a different track because:
1. i hate automation
2. i might want each one to be at a different volume
3. i might want each one to have different delay's / effects

so to avoid plugin chaos, i bake (aka process) each edited take with the "vocal chain" i want it to have

sometimes i'll do this on a per line basis if stuff comes out weird (like adjust the ratio for one line, etc, etc)

i dont ride the gain when i track, so soft vocals are really quiet, and that will usually require a +6 or more db input into the chain as well

Do you find committing this much in regards to the vocal chain puts you in a place you can't return from afterward? Or do you keep your processing fairly minimal and do an 'overall' EQ curve for that track (or dozens of tracks, as it may be with that approach).

I'm glad to hear the e-channel worked out for you. I've been digging that thing for years. Don't have an 1176 on hand, but the Stillwell Rocket does a very similar job for me, if you needed something alike in the software realm.

Do you find committing this much in regards to the vocal chain puts you in a place you can't return from afterward? Or do you keep your processing fairly minimal and do an 'overall' EQ curve for that track (or dozens of tracks, as it may be with that approach).

I'm glad to hear the e-channel worked out for you. I've been digging that thing for years. Don't have an 1176 on hand, but the Stillwell Rocket does a very similar job for me, if you needed something alike in the software realm.

i never eq vocals
so i would say im dealing with a very minimal chain

its just to even out the volume between each sylable, really. and to give it that thick sound.

i de-ess before compression, and i always use the same number and frequency.

im pretty "factory" oriented. its kind of like every venue has a sm57, with a view minor variations here and there. its still a snare mic.

same thing with my chain.

if i run into something weird, i can always use the compression i recorded during tracking, or just recompress from the "vocal di" (raw mic)

Hey, what I'm curious about is what sort of settings you are pulling on your reverse verbs. Do you still use Rverb for that? I've got an assortment of native verbs, but it seems that one always works best for the purpose.

I can see why you hate automation. I don't like it much either. It's an absolute pain in the ass to do accurately in Nuendo.

Hey, what I'm curious about is what sort of settings you are pulling on your reverse verbs. Do you still use Rverb for that? I've got an assortment of native verbs, but it seems that one always works best for the purpose.

I can see why you hate automation. I don't like it much either. It's an absolute pain in the ass to do accurately in Nuendo.

no pre-delay
mix 100% wet

set size and length

done

i use Reverb A lol.

you'r really creative!! This song is musically great and production is awesome!
IMO, I will turn the first keyboard+drum part a bit lower (volume) in order to make the next part is really explosive (more contrast). But, I think you have your own reason when assign that contrast level.

Another thing about the Reverse reverb swells... Are you having the vocalist literally do a couple vocals swells ....so you have them and then you use them were you want?.....Or do you just take like the first word in the phrase copy it and reverse it and bake it?

i can't get the fuckin song out of my head, i seriously really like these guys...i love the singing notes...just sounds different and refreshing to me.

Another thing about the Reverse reverb swells... Are you having the vocalist literally do a couple vocals swells ....so you have them and then you use them were you want?.....Or do you just take like the first word in the phrase copy it and reverse it and bake it?

i can't get the fuckin song out of my head, i seriously really like these guys...i love the singing notes...just sounds different and refreshing to me.

nah, i use parts of the phrases to make the swells
usually one word / syllable from the main take on what is getting swelled into...

thanks, i wanted the key change about the 5th time i sat down to listen to the arrangement. i really like it in this song, it fits really well. =]

that was really unique joey, most producers would proably be like..uh no you can't do that, mad props man, i hear a little glitchin goin on too haha

that was really unique joey, most producers would proably be like..uh no you can't do that, mad props man, i hear a little glitchin goin on too haha

anyone that has that attitude is a complete dumb ass and will never make it anywhere

i used to be like that, glad i opened my mind to what the fuck im actually doing lol

producing is about a lot of things, and being close minded isn't one of them

Just thought I should make it clear that when I was referring to Happy Hardcore keys I was talking about the timbre of the patch you used.

Have people actually pointed out the D Major key change as a bad thing?