My New Song

Originally posted by KielbasaSausage
Damn good. Period.

EDIT: Yayo has made a fine piece of original work - i couldn't say that it sounds like anything else. Good job and keep it up Yayo!
This interests me, although i too cant really find anyone exactly the same it doesnt seem right to call it 'original' because the ideas themselves are quite standard. But im glad its got its own personality! :)

how did you do the echo effect on guitar around the 2:12 mark?
Thats made from the same guitar sound from the lead just before it, then i just applied a "Great Hall" reverb from Cooledits standard Full Reverb effect. The original guitar sound already has some pretty standard reverb and delay on it.

That's really good. Parts sounds like soundtrack music or something. I don't think it sounds unique or anything like some have said, but it's not derivative at all. The backing instruments sound natural, too.

Thanks again to the more recent comments! :)

Originally posted by Hondo
The backing instruments sound natural, too.
Glad to hear this.

In fact, if anyone else is willing to comment on the programmed drum sound i would be appreciative..

Originally posted by YaYo
Hehe, perhaps. There is a side of me that is minimalist!

;)

Originally posted by YaYo
Yep, i wish i had a vocalist :(

I was thinking how cool a song it was. Since you're going to do a whole album, the music is very cool, but it seems like it be able to hold interest so much more with just some unintrusive vocals. Your music is quite good; keep looking for someone who fits. I know I wish I could take part in a music project like that. There's got to be others certainly willing to do so as well.

This is really beautiful, man. I am gonna start using Cubase VST Instruments, they sound really good. The build up is really incredible, I find absolutely nothing wrong with this song. Sorry, I can't say much more. This makes me want to start writing again!
Where did you get Cubase, and the VST plugins? Did you record the sound effects at the end?

I was thinking how cool a song it was. Since you're going to do a whole album, the music is very cool, but it seems like it be able to hold interest so much more with just some unintrusive vocals. Your music is quite good; keep looking for someone who fits. I know I wish I could take part in a music project like that. There's got to be others certainly willing to do so as well.
Luckily there has been some interest generated from posting this song, apparently. Good things are happening. :)

Originally posted by Morningrise
This is really beautiful, man. I am gonna start using Cubase VST Instruments, they sound really good. The build up is really incredible, I find absolutely nothing wrong with this song. Sorry, I can't say much more. This makes me want to start writing again!
Where did you get Cubase, and the VST plugins? Did you record the sound effects at the end?
Thanks! And yes you should write and record more! Cubase is only a small file (10 or 20MB?) so its easy enough to find an illegal version somewhere.. same with VST plugins, thankfully i've had friends who've already done the hard work and downloaded all these things and i got them straight off them :)

Yes, you've done it again...I love the tranquil vibe is creates. One simply loses himself in the music.

I thought the instruments were very natural sounding and didn't sound programmed. Simply put, it fucking ruled.

I am really looking forward to more of your work, especially put together as an album. Do you have any music written that you think might fit on an album? How do you go about writing the music? I assume you just become inspired to do something depending on your mood and pick up the guitar. Anyway, very impressive stuff and I hope you are able to find a vocalist...nothing too overbearing, just some subtle vocals thrown in to add to the overall vibe. Good luck in the future.

Do you have any music written that you think might fit on an album?
yes, i have a complete album written, and recorded to the quality of this song. Its what i spend most of my spare time on, its been basically a fulltime job for the past couple of months.

Certain opportunities have arisen to maybe record this properly as well during the next year and possibly get it released, but nothing is definite yet so no details. Im very keen to let people hear this album in its entirity, its exceeded my own expectations and im very excited about it!

How do you go about writing the music? I assume you just become inspired to do something depending on your mood and pick up the guitar.
Depends really, sometimes im inspired by other music and i seek to write something similar.... Sometimes im just randomly playing stuff and i stumble on something special... sometimes i get in a mood and i need to release and express something specific (such as this track)... etc etc.. theres many things that start the ball rolling... from that initial point the process becomes more standard. Even from maybe 2 riffs i can usually plan out a whole song, i know roughly how long it will be, how it will progress (quickly or slowly? big changes or small variations? etc), and the feelings the song will go through.. after that its just a matter of filling in the gaps and making it all work... and that can take anywhere from a day or two (for this song) up to a few months.

I end up with a 1 or 2 guitar version of the entire song.. most of the layering is done during the recording phase, though i have clear ideas of what i want, ive rarely planned the details.

I hope you are able to find a vocalist...nothing too overbearing, just some subtle vocals thrown in to add to the overall vibe.
I have had a number of offers for the vocal position recently, nothing confirmed yet but i'd say theres a strong chance the position will be filled. :)

It seems i probably need to find a drummer now though! Always more work to be done!

Thanks again!

you have a great ear for music YaYo. The blending of the instruments seemed so natural. Almost epic in scope but seemingly executed with a simple gesture.

great work , it reminds me a little bit of Al DiMeolas album Cielo e Terra ... anyway good luck!!!

this music sucks. :lol:

na, you know I like it.

but here is some criticism.

the entire song-- its as though it's riding on a single narrow wave of music. So, it would seem, there isn't much creativity and expression going on. it doesn't breathe, or it's a bit long-winded.

also, the changes in texture seem a little too forced and too symetrical, as though everything that happens, all the instruments that come on to accompany or whatever, do so uneventfully. in my experience, the most interesting and enduring music is the sort you can't anticipate -- or, if not this, there has to be some kind of excuse or context that makes this music a welcome reprieve from the UNusual.

you have not provided this context, and the track seems a little thin, though pretty.

yayo, I figure after all the praise you'd like some healthful criticism, so I am bringing some. and, we all know, you're capable of greater heights. :)

also, I am open to criticism myself. You can criticize my criticism. Maybe I've misperceived something.

Originally posted by KielbasaSausage
hmm, in my opinion, that was the worst criticism ever. maybe you should have been more focused on the direction he was trying to take with his song. :D

that's a fallacy of some kind, dude. :p