My New Song

Ok I'm listening to the song now. As it is begining I'm pretty much indifferent to it. However as the violin part begins that sad effect sarts to set in even more and then its reinforced at about 1:00 with the piano. Sounds pretty good, must be because its sad. When the drums come in it sounds more happy at first until the lead comes in. The lead is awesome, then the violin comes in once again so far this is the best part of the song right here at around 2:47-3:30. Sounds pretty good, I don't know about those noises at the end though, with like the birds and such...

Listening to it some more,

I have to say, I like it more. That part in the two-minute range, when you solo, and the guitar kind of "flies" into atmospheric "space", is awesome. and is my favorite part of the track.

It's definitely high quality stuff, and it would make a great sound-track to a song (I'd imagine done in female vocals). There's a subtle intensity about it I missed the first time around. Beautiful! :)

Some nice complexity happening with the guitar work. I almost think it could focus more on that and be just as powerful without the emphasis on all the other "background" instruments. Their 'texture' didn't strike me nearly as much as the layers of guitars near the middle of the song. Definitely the strong point is in the obvious place - the guitars.

As always, thanks to the latest batch of people to respond and give their feedback!

Originally posted by CladInDarkness
I don't know about those noises at the end though, with like the birds and such...
hehe, there is not a single nature effect i could put in a song without at least some disliking it or thinking its cliche.

Originally posted by Xtokalon
the entire song-- its as though it's riding on a single narrow wave of music. So, it would seem, there isn't much creativity and expression going on. it doesn't breathe, or it's a bit long-winded.
Well, imo... Expression there is plenty of, creativity there is little... i think i said it in the first post that i wrote and recorded it very quickly, never did i have the intention of making it an original song or anything mindblowing.. i had something specific i wanted to express and thats what i did.

the most interesting and enduring music is the sort you can't anticipate
But i wasnt trying to be interesting or enduring ;)

Music can be many things, this was a bit of therapy for me, not written with intentions of being a lasting song or anything like that. I COULDNT take long to write record it or it would no longer have been what i set out to make it.

This song was for me, when it turned out alright i decided to let others hear it.

-- or, if not this, there has to be some kind of excuse or context that makes this music a welcome reprieve from the UNusual.
In comparison to all my other songs it is unusual... but yes context is important... its a piece that you listen to when you are in a mood, unlike my other tracks which attempt to take you to the right mood. Im still unsure if this track will make it on the full album, if it does it will be the only track quite like it and i think it could make a very good addition away from the everchanging feel of the other songs.

yayo, I figure after all the praise you'd like some healthful criticism, so I am bringing some. and, we all know, you're capable of greater heights. :)
I appreciate it! Criticism is a great thing. Im extremely grateful you took the time to give your comments, its much easier to tell what people really think when they are willing to give their criticisms and such.

Listening to it some more,

I have to say, I like it more. That part in the two-minute range, when you solo, and the guitar kind of "flies" into atmospheric "space", is awesome. and is my favorite part of the track.

It's definitely high quality stuff, and it would make a great sound-track to a song (I'd imagine done in female vocals). There's a subtle intensity about it I missed the first time around. Beautiful! :)
:)

here's more criticism.

There's something too inorganic and mechanical about the music. It's like music "on a schedule", music produced by a clock. It doesn't have a life of its own, it doesn't "breathe" as I wrote previously, it's afraid to breathe.

I think the track would be so much better if you let bits of unfolding soundscape of the music settle down in some way, slow up tempos and allow instruments to have their own dimensions (rather than a fixed metronomical one).

Dear YaYo,

Your song is great. I make little recordings like this too, so I realize the time and effort it takes to self produce a track such as this. Your song sounds way better than anything I've ever made...I always lose interest or focus after awhile...this song is neat though, soothing...I wanna hear some more stuff...the drum sounds are pretty good (a drum machine is always a drum machine). What do you use for the drums?

Originally posted by Mr. Niel
What do you use for the drums?
Cubase VST to program them in midi, then i use the VST instrument "Steinberg LM-4" and have it set up with numerous wav samples of drums that i've located on the net (105 of them) which makes them sound decent. I also have them running through a reverb to add to the realism.

here's more criticism.

There's something too inorganic and mechanical about the music. It's like music "on a schedule", music produced by a clock. It doesn't have a life of its own, it doesn't "breathe" as I wrote previously, it's afraid to breathe.

I think the track would be so much better if you let bits of unfolding soundscape of the music settle down in some way, slow up tempos and allow instruments to have their own dimensions (rather than a fixed metronomical one).
I can see what you're saying, but remember a lot of this was programmed. You are not listening to real instruments with all the dynamics right.. furthermore its got to be programmed to a metronome (unless i put 1000x more time into it to make it speed up and slow down as appropriate, and to make all notes slightly offtime like a real person would play it). This alone would make the feel of the song less mechanical, more emotive, and such things can also have an apparent change in the pace of the song, without changing the tempo.

I think the first riff, and when it reoccurs, are the biggest points where slowing it down and playing less in strict time would be most effective, i shall consider this because i do tend to agree to a degree.