My new song is available!

Hey YaYo, I have a question or two about CoolEdit... (You use CoolEdit Pro, not CoolEdit 2000, right? I could go back a couple pages and find that answer but I'm too lazy, heh heh...) Anyways, you did ALL the tracking in CoolEdit Pro? How many tracks does it allow? I've been messing around with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, have you used it? If so, which is better? Where can I get a copy of CoolEdit Pro? (Without suffering through a billion freak'n popup windows! I HATE those things!)

I'm pretty new to recording on computers... I used to do all my recording on a Digial Recorder but I recently sold it because it was getting old and I've been reading about alot of people recording with computers so I figure, "what the heck! I've got three computers here, I'm sure I can make something work with all that..." Heh heh!

L8r!

Last time i checked cooledit wasnt a multi-track recording utility, it is a wave editor. So if you do separate takes and mess around with copy/paste well it could be as many tracks as you want just not simultaneously. But besides you need a damn good sound card and probably other equipment im not aware of to do multi track recording with various channels at the same time. I rather use a analog mixer and record each track with metronome, using a multi track recording software. ( thats how i plan on recording my bands demos...if i ever get a descent soundcard, and a faster hdd...and a mixer...)

Originally posted by YourFuneral
Hey YaYo, I have a question or two about CoolEdit... (You use CoolEdit Pro, not CoolEdit 2000, right? I could go back a couple pages and find that answer but I'm too lazy, heh heh...) Anyways, you did ALL the tracking in CoolEdit Pro? How many tracks does it allow? I've been messing around with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, have you used it? If so, which is better? Where can I get a copy of CoolEdit Pro? (Without suffering through a billion freak'n popup windows! I HATE those things!)

I'm pretty new to recording on computers... I used to do all my recording on a Digial Recorder but I recently sold it because it was getting old and I've been reading about alot of people recording with computers so I figure, "what the heck! I've got three computers here, I'm sure I can make something work with all that..." Heh heh!

L8r!
Cooledit Pro has 64 tracks. Forestall used 28 of them. CoolEdit 2000 however is just a wave editor which is probably what Misanthrope was thinking of. Ive used lots of different cakewalk programs (Pro Audio 9, Home Studio and Sonar).. and they are all very good, but to me they seemed a bit too complex, too many terms and options and shit.. so ive just stuck with Cooledit coz its easy (although it doesnt handle midi and doesnt have a metronome.. and has a few other things that you have to find workarounds for).
So if you have Cakewalk and cant find Cooledit (you'll just have to search for it yourself, i havent seen it around anywhere lately to give you a link) then by all means just start playing around with cakewalk, its a damn good program, you just may not find it as easy to get into as Cooledit, im not sure. Once you get the hang of Cakewalk its probably a better program.. but i stick with what i know for the moment.

Last time i checked cooledit wasnt a multi-track recording utility, it is a wave editor. So if you do separate takes and mess around with copy/paste well it could be as many tracks as you want just not simultaneously. But besides you need a damn good sound card and probably other equipment im not aware of to do multi track recording with various channels at the same time. I rather use a analog mixer and record each track with metronome, using a multi track recording software. ( thats how i plan on recording my bands demos...if i ever get a descent soundcard, and a faster hdd...and a mixer...)
Well, my computer is only a 600Mhz, 256MB ram and the cheapest soundcard i could find. Now i can only RECORD 1 track at a time because i only have 1 input.... but on my machine it handled Forestall alright, took a minute to load all the wavs and stuff but other than that it recorded fine.

Yayo are you in standard tuning in this song?
Nope, i only use a 6 string, and its dropped down to CGCFAD (ie just dropD tuning down a tone).

Heh heh... I thought you had a 7 string... I guess it's the Vai reference in your name... Either that or all the 7's in your guitars model ID... Or perhaps a combination of the two... Yeah, that's more likely it... LOL!

I'm working on a song that was in drop D but I might make it drop Bb (All strings drop 2 whole steps then drop the last string another whole step) I'm pretty sure that's the tuning In Flames use on the song Colony.

Yayo do you write some of the mellow parts of your song in counterpoint? If so how do you go about doing it? Also are there any chords/arpegios/harminizations you find yourself leaning towards offten? I myself like 9, 6, and sus4 chords. Some harminizations I see alot are these:
Opeth - Alot of 3rds and octives (for that creepy sound)
Slayer - 4ths (because they are considered a disonent interval)
In Flames - ALL DIATONIC THIRDS!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!
What types do you use?

hehehe this is an interesting topic.

I use 5ths, 3rds, 8ths, 4ths and even 7ths.

Actually the major and minor 7ths are interesting i use them with its 3rd ( major 3rd for mayor 7th, minor 3rd for minor 7th and mayor 3rd and minor 7th for dominants..). And i use them with full distorsion and the 3 at the same time...go figure :p

Well, my computer is only a 600Mhz, 256MB ram and the cheapest soundcard i could find. Now i can only RECORD 1 track at a time because i only have 1 input.... but on my machine it handled Forestall alright, took a minute to load all the wavs and stuff but other than that it recorded fine.

Well what cuality do you use? how many takes you use? if you use 24bit 96hz cuality it would chunk away 100s of mbs per minute, multiply that for each track, multiply that for each channel and you have and idea of the ammout of space used. Not only that 1 minute waits and undo/redo's can get to be fucking frustrating if you are editing alot and dont have an infinite amount of free time. This is why if i ever get serious about home recording im planning on getting a pc with a gb of ram, 2 40 or 50gb scsi drives in a raid configuration, dual processor ( i hear the 64bit amd's will rock ) and water cooling system for the processors ( my city its damn hot, 110 degrees on summer all days, i cant afford processor overload with this heat ).

On top of that an audio card that its worth it ( maybe 400 bucks or so ) and a mixer, plus you work with drum samples but i work with a real drummer who needs top of the line mics for the drumming ( 100 bucks each at the very least, getting at least 4 of them will be another 400 bucks ). It still beats the shit out of a semi or a pro studio if you wanna take your goddamn time to record.

thats a bit...disonant.

But when i play dominant 7ths with no 5ths the 3rdM and the 7thm form a tritone if im not mistaken right?. I usually fly by those tones at the end of the progression cause i dont wanna sound like grindnoise :p

Yes there are tritones in dominant 7 chords. In 18th century vocal harmony there are is a rule when you have a V7 chord go to the I. You must resolve the tritone by raising the the 7th to the tonic and drop the 4th to the third....
DAMN MUSIC THEORY CLASS!!!!! I'M GOING INSANE!
At the begining of lepher affinity there are some cool tritone chords. That little raising lick right before the solo in four horsemen has a bunch of tritones. And the song black sabbath is one big fucking tritone.:D

Originally posted by Misanthrope
Well what cuality do you use? how many takes you use? if you use 24bit 96hz cuality it would chunk away 100s of mbs per minute, multiply that for each track, multiply that for each channel and you have and idea of the ammout of space used. Not only that 1 minute waits and undo/redo's can get to be fucking frustrating if you are editing alot and dont have an infinite amount of free time. This is why if i ever get serious about home recording im planning on getting a pc with a gb of ram, 2 40 or 50gb scsi drives in a raid configuration, dual processor ( i hear the 64bit amd's will rock ) and water cooling system for the processors ( my city its damn hot, 110 degrees on summer all days, i cant afford processor overload with this heat ).

On top of that an audio card that its worth it ( maybe 400 bucks or so ) and a mixer, plus you work with drum samples but i work with a real drummer who needs top of the line mics for the drumming ( 100 bucks each at the very least, getting at least 4 of them will be another 400 bucks ). It still beats the shit out of a semi or a pro studio if you wanna take your goddamn time to record.
Yeh i only use 44hz 16bit quality, Forestall ended up being 300MB total. And yeh there are definite hassles and having bigger faster computer would be good... but im just saying its not absolutely nescassary. Sure it takes some time processing certain effects but when your recording its good to have time to think anyway.

Yayo do you write some of the mellow parts of your song in counterpoint? If so how do you go about doing it? Also are there any chords/arpegios/harminizations you find yourself leaning towards offten? I myself like 9, 6, and sus4 chords.
I invent whats appropriate, i know how to build my own chords, but i dont really know the names of most of them just off the top of my head, i mean if its jazz theres a range of minor 7th and major 7th chords, and a lot of sus4 and sus chords...etc etc... if its the metal bits its a lot of 5ths and minor 3rds... but a lot of the time when im harmonising i try not to simply follow an exact third or something, ill try and make one guitar go up while the other goes down for example.. and swap between different harmonies to avoid creating a standard sounding thirds riff or something.
I really havent done many lessons on the theory side of things, i mean i know what its all about and stuff but i havent done enough for things to be instantly recognisable to me... i dont know a lot of chords names and stuff, but i do know how to play the chords and how to achieve weird and woderful sounds, so once i sit down to learn the theory it should come quickly, its just putting names to things i already know.

And jsut to prove the point.... what are tritones?

oh and if you tell me what counterpoint means i might be able to answer that part of the question.....

A Tritone is basically a lower fifth. Try playing E and B flat together, and you have a tritone. If used right it can get a beautiful sound....

Well, my computer's only 200MHz with 32MB ram and it works fine on that.:D

Dear YoyoGakk:

I'd like to give you my 2 cents on your little piece of music. First of all its very nice, and I dig the developped accoustic passages, and separate moments within the song. Very nice. I also have to say that your effort in creating this file should be rewarded and you should be proud 'cause its a nice piece.

Although it is too opeth soundy in few little moments, as well as in the general structure you were going for, it does have its own feel that surfaces from time to time. I hope that you will be able to find this feel of yours and build on it.

Ok: first and foremost, mike the guitars. Don't record through the effect directly into the PC, 'cause it comes off too dry and electronic, at times. Especially in that distorted part. Second, the distorted parts are the lower point of this recording. The first one is too Opethy and unoriginal. I can understand that since you did em last (if i read correctly) you might have not put as much effort in them as in the rest. Second thing about the distorted parts is that there is well.. too few of them. They are almost non-existant in the grand scheme of things, and thats too bad, as the whole song needs more contrast in those long acoustic passages. Third major thing is that few of the bridges are not too well developped, and there's overal too many "feels" in the song. I would definitely cut out few parts and developped the ones I would leave. Fourth is, the rain? uhm.. i didn't dig it because of (un)originality. I know I'm being harsh, but not one person was harsh, so I don't want you to think this is like perfect or something.

Uhm. ok enough. Last thing: use actual acoustic guitars please! Drum machine I won't mention cause I understand its a bitch to get a good drummer.

Best of luck in the future, I hope I didnt piss you off too much! I honestly don't mean to.

Sfarog

Tritone: a diminished 5th or augmented 4th. aside from a minor 2nd or major 7th this is the most disonent interval.
Alittle note on tritones:
Long ago tritones were greatly frowned apon and were never used as thier sound was considered "offensive" and they were known as "Diablos en musica" or "The Devil in music"..... yes, yes, like the slayer CD. I was thinking of calling someting I was woring on that but stupid slayer stole it from me. :(

Counterpoint:This is just writing 2 seperate melodies ment to be played over each other. They are not just harminizations of each other but thier seperate melody.