My new song is available!

Counterpoint is, in addition to what Poison Godmachine said, is not necessarily just two melodies played simultaneously, but also playing off each other, or one melody in half notes against one in quarter-notes, or two melodies off the beat, like complementing each other, or three melodies with even more wicked possibilities, ad infinitum. I'm studying this shit right now, so Palestrina and Lassus for me, later I'll cross over to Bach. :loco:

D Mullholand

Originally posted by Sfarog
Although it is too opeth soundy in few little moments, as well as in the general structure you were going for, it does have its own feel that surfaces from time to time. I hope that you will be able to find this feel of yours and build on it.
This was my opeth piece, it was appropriate for the telling of the story, but yeh i think my own style is still in there, its just a bit minimal in this song. Songs prior to this arent as opeth sounding, and the song im working on atm isnt as opeth sounding either, it was just this one song i chose to do like that. Although there is still a lot of Opeth influenced riffs still. Im still in a learning process for writing songs, i have many other influences and techniques that im only just learning how to incorporate them into my songs, so hopefully i wont be labelled an opeth rip off in future.

Ok: first and foremost, mike the guitars. Don't record through the effect directly into the PC, 'cause it comes off too dry and electronic, at times. Especially in that distorted part.
Obviously, these are just demo versions though, they arent meant to sound and be perfect, i dont have mics or time to set up mics every time i want to record. The aim of these versions is simply to put the song down in a solid form so that its listenable and so i can analyse it and can remember how it goes. Also mixed with that is also a learning experience on how to record and how to mix and stuff like that.

Second, the distorted parts are the lower point of this recording. The first one is too Opethy and unoriginal. I can understand that since you did em last (if i read correctly) you might have not put as much effort in them as in the rest.
Recorded them last, not wrote them last. The underlying distorted riffs are pretty basic agreed, but the were written with intentions, and these intentions were fulfilled in my eyes. Especially the second(3:30-) and last distorted sections. The first distorted section is admittedly the weakest distortion section, and the most unoriginal and so on. I still like it however.

Second thing about the distorted parts is that there is well.. too few of them. They are almost non-existant in the grand scheme of things, and thats too bad, as the whole song needs more contrast in those long acoustic passages.
Inappropriate for the song and what i wanted to achieve. This song and my other solo stuff are primarily clean and meant to be that way. I guess theres supposed to be a lot of thinking time in my songs, time for inner reflection.

This comment is just a subjective thing based on personal taste i think.

Third major thing is that few of the bridges are not too well developped
Yep, as im just learning to incorporate a certain few different styles into my songs, and placing them correctly in the song still needs work, and bridging is a part of this.

and there's overal too many "feels" in the song. I would definitely cut out few parts and developped the ones I would leave.
hm, this i disagree with this. Another thing thats based on taste me thinks.

Fourth is, the rain? uhm.. i didn't dig it because of (un)originality.
Yeh yeh, i think i talked about what my true visions of this section were, but rain had to suffice. If you get over the unoriginality it achieves its purpose i think. Well it does for me anyway.

I know I'm being harsh, but not one person was harsh, so I don't want you to think this is like perfect or something.
Dont worry, i appreciate the comments. And i dont think my music is anywhere near perfect. I will be thinking about your comments, hope you enjoy my future projects a little better!!

Yayo do you write some of the mellow parts of your song in counterpoint? If so how do you go about doing it?
Well from the meanings of counterpoint given, i think i do. Not sure if any appear in the songs ive uploaded.

Um hows it done... a lot of the time its about just writing one melody and then improvising a second melody over the top till it sounds good together. Then adjusting and fixing the pieces so that they work well together. Other times ill have a single melody and split the notes over two guitars (ie the first 2 notes on guit1, next two notes on guit2) and then fill in the blanks with harmonisations of different sorts. Some times its done properly, ie youll have 1 main melody and then use knowledge of scales and harmonies to write a second piece, making sure to change a few things (ie 8th notes, or make it go high where the other goes low, or little trills and stuff at different places.. hm)

Hm, i guess i dont really know what im doing. Seems like a technique that would take some theory to do properly, if i ever do it i guess its just really through random experimentations or just hearing things in my head. hehe

I was under the impression counterpoint was just attacking the weak part of the tempo and its often used with syncopat wich is going from the weak part of the tempo and extending to the strong part, making a tempo-contratempo effect like most progressive bands or jazz bands. However ive seen it being used as another term for harmony, specially guitar harmony, specially on twin electric guitar harmony but according to some classical music teachers i had its very wrong to call it contratempo.

Originally posted by Poison Godmachine
I have to write a full orcestral peice for my music theory class... you guys wanna hear it when I'm done?
Of course!

Do you know of any any good programs for composing? I had noteworthy composer but for somereason it wouldn't play back (no sound for some reason) and I also had Melody Assistant but its shareware and changing the time signiture is not enabled.

Originally posted by Sfarog
dude this song rules, can you send me links to those other songs that you created and mentioned? Thanks in advance!

Sfarog
sfarog@yahoo.com
Seems like a quick change of heart!?

and sorry the other songs arent uploaded any more! I will upload them again for those who missed the earlier songs, but not just yet, so keep an eye on my sig in the next few weeks.

I liked this song so much, BECAUSE of it's similarities to Opeth's style. I hope Yayogakk can continue to record music in this style, as well as others, while developing his own signature sound.

I must have listened to this song at least 30 times now.

And still, I get goosebumps at the climax at 9:44, the way the riffs rise up. I still have no idea how the hell you did this.

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
I liked this song so much, BECAUSE of it's similarities to Opeth's style. I hope Yayogakk can continue to record music in this style, as well as others, while developing his own signature sound.

I love this music, stuff like, Yayogakk's, Soul Forlorn, Opeth..I just hope someday I can write music like they all can..

Hey Dave, it really makes me happy to see the positive response you have gotten for your music on this forum. And as your fellow band mate, and friend I'd like to tell you that I think you have done a particularly fine job of it, all!! You know which ones are my faves, which riffs are my faves and for what reasons, and you know I love all the melodies. And I feel pretty blessed that I am always probably the first one to hear any of this stuff as soon as it's done, and for that matter, am privalaged enough to witness it's creation when you come to rehearsel and start playing some eccentric little interlude from your latest master piece, and I get to hear that one little part later realised in it's full and glorious vison when you have it in the completed piece 2 or 3 weeks down the track. I look foward to getting Pro tools and working with you in having a go at producing them all in a pretty slick little package, and getting them to the sound quality I know you want them to be, and what the songs truly deserve.
I also look foward to many good things to come in the band, I've told you this before but I count myself very lucky that I found you, and that it has all worked out. It is true happiness for me to play with another musician who understands my vision straight from the start, our 2 styles have clicked in perfect unison from my point of view, and I feel very lucky for that. And I read one of your posts calling yourself only the "secondary writer" in the band. Well, as I might be the primary writer, but give yourself a little more credit. You are taking my songs and writing a whole other song to them, and doing it very well I might add. My songs would merely be stark and 2 dimensional without your input, and that input is invaluable to me, and the songs that I write for this band.
Keep up the good work, I am always keen as hell to hear any of your new stuff, and you can my borrow my bass anytime you want for recording it. I'm still extremely over joyed at how good it came out sounding. Well, bye for now.... see you at rehearsal on the weekend!

hey look everyone, its another member of Unthroned!!!

hehe, thanks trent!

make an album, and ill buy it
:) Seems like ive got some album sales lined up then!
An album WILL get made, its just a matter of when.. songs are getting written at a quick rate at the moment, 2 songs completed in the last few days (writing, not recording) and a slow acoustic orchestrated piece making process. One of those songs ive yet to decide if its for Unthroned or me, ill have to see. If i include that song then i have about 40 mintues of complete music, + a few other pieces lying around thats gonna be rewritten. So its getting there. The proper recording of all these songs is a fair way down the track though, late this year to midway through next i assume.. we'll see... Theres a LOT of issues i have to think about and sort out before i get to that stage.

All this i sgetting me worked up. I reckon I have about 60 mins worth of music... but I have no idea whether it's good or not! Do I post a song on here? But if I do it might be crap and I couldn't take the shame...Now I've gotta do some recording.

Originally posted by rustymetal
All this i sgetting me worked up. I reckon I have about 60 mins worth of music... but I have no idea whether it's good or not! Do I post a song on here? But if I do it might be crap and I couldn't take the shame...Now I've gotta do some recording.
Hehe, well you should show your music around, as longs as you can handle criticism. Put it this way, if your songs arent that good is it better to find out whats wrong with them now and work on it, or find out later and have a lot of good work thats spoiled by a few problems you hadnt noticed yourself? And besides every one has something going right in their songs, and people will notice these things and point them out and maybe you havent noticed and youll be able to go "hey i am good at that!".

So yes post your music here for us all to listen to. But dont do it just to get praise, do it to help you get an idea of where your writing is at.. whether that be good or bad.

And remember, the most important thing about music is whether you enjoy your own music... any advice or criticism we may give is only relevant if it helps you enjoy your music more.