My new song is available!

Incredible music! The intensity build-up around 4:30 and the subtle guitars at 8:00 are moments of true beauty. This is even three times better than "Softly" - where that one was kind of too square occasionally, "Forestall" is captivating from start to finish.

It's clear that you don't really need any advice from us lamers :) , but here's a small thing to consider: when you program the drums, try to deviate from the usual formula of "steady beat for 3 measures, fill at 4th measure, then another beat". You can place the fill, for example, at the 3rd (or 1st) measure, or change the beat gradually - all kinds of stuff to make it flow even better - unless you want to specifically mark the transition. Your drum-patterns are very good as they are - the above is NOT a complaint - but there's always room for invention and improvement. And, try to find a better drum-synth.

Waiting for your album! ;)

D Mullholand

... when you program the drums, try to deviate from the usual formula of "steady beat for 3 measures, fill at 4th measure, then another beat". You can place the fill, for example, at the 3rd (or 1st) measure, or change the beat gradually - all kinds of stuff to make it flow even better - unless you want to specifically mark the transition. Your drum-patterns are very good as they are - the above is NOT a complaint - but there's always room for invention and improvement.
Agreed, and good advice, drum programming is still relatively new to me and i still have a lot to learn, this will be useful. I guess ive just gotta learn the rules before i break them!

And, try to find a better drum-synth.
Definitely, ive already got a better a drum plugin for Cubase (the one i use atm is extremely limited)... but its going to take a long time to put together a new drum kit with all the sounds that i like..and its going to take a lot of analysing other bands sounds to see what is appropriate for my music... ill do it one day and then go back and re-do all the drums for the previous songs.

I'm going to try and record your songs onto cd and hopfully they'll come out good if they do I'll send you a pm if not your going to get some hate mail from me
:lol: well i have CDs done of all my songs so i dont see why it wouldnt work for you as well!

thanks for the comments Opth_001 and D Mullholand!..

Right, I've just downloaded it at college, and zipped it onto 8 floppy discs just so I can take it home and listen to it. This had better be worth it... :D

Right, I've just downloaded it at college, and zipped it onto 8 floppy discs just so I can take it home and listen to it. This had better be worth it...
For your sake i hope so then!!

every time i think this thread has died more people and go and reply!!! Thanks everyone! :)

Can't... let... this... thread... die... heh heh

I've just finished listening to your song for the 1046th time (I know, I know, I'm slacking... Should be up to 4000 by now...) and I realized that the song shouldn't end at the 10:47 mark... You need about 3 more minutes on there... (There's a logical reason for this: I'm greedy!) :lol:

No, seriously, have you ever heard of Jim Matheos? He's the guitarist for Fates Warning... He has 2 solo albums out that are kinda New Agey but, I swear, the clean portions of your song remind me of his stuff... You should check him out... If you try to find some of his stuff and can't, let me know, I'll hook you up...

Originally posted by YourFuneral
Can't... let... this... thread... die... heh heh

I've just finished listening to your song for the 1046th time (I know, I know, I'm slacking... Should be up to 4000 by now...) and I realized that the song shouldn't end at the 10:47 mark... You need about 3 more minutes on there... (There's a logical reason for this: I'm greedy!) :lol:

No, seriously, have you ever heard of Jim Matheos? He's the guitarist for Fates Warning... He has 2 solo albums out that are kinda New Agey but, I swear, the clean portions of your song remind me of his stuff... You should check him out... If you try to find some of his stuff and can't, let me know, I'll hook you up...
I downloaded some Fates Warning after 'softly' where they were mentioned, but yeh unfortunately i didnt think too much of the song i heard, not that i can remember what song it was. I shall try his solo project though.

did you think of any, some growls or clean, or both? it would sound great i think.
I have ideas, a minimal portion of clean and growls. but they wont see the light of day for the moment... things are progressing pretty quickly and i have a real drummer who wants to play for these songs, and somewhat of a financial adviser / manager! lol... well its just a friend but he might get things moving for me
so who knows, maybe by tomorrow ill have a vocalist!

thanks for the recent replies to the thread everyone! I have a sneaking suspicion that this will be the last post in this thread... at almost 700 views i doubt theres anyone left who hasnt downloaded the song!!

Sorry it's taken so long for my reply, but I had problems...

Anyway, this is one of the best songs I've ever heard!:D I just love it, and I've even added my own dodgy growls to the bit where you said it needed some. There's no lyrics to them, but it sounds damn good! I must say that the first time I listened to it I stopped it a about 6:15 - I thought the rain was just my speakers hissing.:( :D

Say, is there any chance of you moving to Nottingham in the very near future?:D

Its an asome song but honestly, i like softly better. It has more personal style and its still noticeable Opeth influenced, this new song its still great but it sounds like you are trying too hard too have the same style as opeth with new things to it. At times it sounds like a perfect blend of all opeth periods from orchid to blackwater park, yet your own style remains, just not as present and evident as in softly.

I hope you understand what im saying...

Anyway, this is one of the best songs I've ever heard! I just love it, and I've even added my own dodgy growls to the bit where you said it needed some. There's no lyrics to them, but it sounds damn good! I must say that the first time I listened to it I stopped it a about 6:15 - I thought the rain was just my speakers hissing.
hehehe, one of my friends stood up and left the room when it got to that bit cause he thought the song was over..
Glad you finally got to listen to it, cant believe someone else gets to hear my song with growls before me!!!! :mad:
:lol: Glad you enjoyed it!

Its an asome song but honestly, i like softly better. It has more personal style and its still noticeable Opeth influenced, this new song its still great but it sounds like you are trying too hard too have the same style as opeth with new things to it. At times it sounds like a perfect blend of all opeth periods from orchid to blackwater park, yet your own style remains, just not as present and evident as in softly.

I hope you understand what im saying...
Thankyou Misanthrope, what you said does make perfect sense, this song is very Opeth influenced, but for the telling of the story i felt it was appropriate... i mean if i end up writing an album over the next few months i can safely say that at most only 1 other song will be in this style, adn my next step is to include my jazz/classical chord knowledge into my writing which should again make the songs more 'me'.
Thanks for having the balls to say what you think, its really appreciated.

Greetings.

I finally got around to downloading this song.

I have yet to finish listening to it, but so far, it's awesome. Great sound you've got going there too, you've a great recording technique.

You guitar work is VERY good, I wish I knew a guitarist able to create songs like this.

I'll give you an indepth review of it later, when I listen to it properly.

Some of the idea's are good, ask Sullen Jester, he's heard the rough guitar tracks.

Yes.

Bumblefoot's song is good. Great even.

You could also ask me for help with lyrics :) I can do that hehe..

Your song was pretty awesome. I especially liked the acoustic-sounding parts. Did you use a real acoustic guitar or a simulator?
But now comes my critic: What you gain in wonderful sounding guitars you lack in drums. I would like to hear your great song with real drums. I´ve never liked drum machines. They sound cheap and in some ways inhuman, you know. But anyway, I enjoyed your artwork pretty much! And as a sound technician I really appreciate your work. I think this song makes every hard hour you spent recording and sweating worth while! Looking forward to hear more!

Yes.

Bumblefoot's song is good. Great even.

You could also ask me for help with lyrics I can do that hehe..
Sounds promising! Hopefully we all get to hear bumblefoots work someday then!

Thanks for listening to my little tune! :)

Your song was pretty awesome. I especially liked the acoustic-sounding parts. Did you use a real acoustic guitar or a simulator?
But now comes my critic: What you gain in wonderful sounding guitars you lack in drums. I would like to hear your great song with real drums. I´ve never liked drum machines. They sound cheap and in some ways inhuman, you know. But anyway, I enjoyed your artwork pretty much! And as a sound technician I really appreciate your work. I think this song makes every hard hour you spent recording and sweating worth while! Looking forward to hear more!
Nah, not a real acoustic, just a normal electric guitar (which has an awesome clean sound by itself) and then lots of effects and EQs and stuff.

And yeh, when i record these songs properly and release them you'll here them with glorious proper drums, played by a glorious proper real drummer! Should make heaps of difference... currently its pretty impossible for me to record proper drums for obvious reasons (mics, inputs, etc)... so yeh, until the proper recording its just gonna be programmed drums.

thanks!

BRILLIANT JUST BRILLIANT..........agrree with whoever said

The song had the Opeth effect for me...
...Just sit and live the song and when it's over
you realize where you are. Sitting in front of the
computer. Then you just have to listen to it again
that you can be in the same wonderful but obscure
place once again.

Thankyou........by the way where are u in AUSTALIA......i live in wollongong....which is about an hours drive south of sydney.

TRUELY BRILLIANT........its stuff like that, that makes me jealous......because when writing musik i just doint think like that......ohwell....thanx.

Man, this is still getting replies!!!

Thankyou........by the way where are u in AUSTALIA
Your welcome and thank you!
[whisper] I live way down in tas.. [/whisper]
(dont let it get around... hehe)

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
Man, this is still getting replies!!!

Your welcome and thank you!
[whisper] I live way down in tas.. [/whisper]
(dont let it get around... hehe)

Do you want us to let this thread die YaYo? We can do that if you like... ;)

You've probably said it all already, but, please explain your recording steps.

You got a very good sound quality and I want it.

TELL.
Yes, ive said it already!!! Many times!!

1. Plug guitar into 'mic' input on computer, going straight through pedal into computer.
2. Record using cooledit, making sure to get as high as possible sound without clipping.
3. Play guitar through cool effect on pedal.
4. Stop playing guitar.
5. Stop recording
6. Go 'yippeeeeeee'
7. Add EQ, Cooledit effects.
8. The end

There really isnt anything to know in this respect, you simply have to learn what sounds good in a mix.. and try and achieve that sound through trial and error...

If you are more specific i may be able to help you better... What specific things are you interested in?