My quest to meet Mr. V...

i'm going to Borknagar gig on 25th of september. My first time ever to see them live so i'm pretty damn excited! :hotjump: hope to meet mr.V too, though i'm afraid i will be totally starstruck and won't be able to say anything that makes sense... :oops::worship: well at least i hope to take lots of pics and film some nice vids...
Anybody around here ever met mr.V? i wonder what kind of person he is irl...

You know, this is something that I've never really discussed much before: but I really dislike meeting my idols. Doing phone interviews is one thing, but I think the thing that you never, ever really understand until you've met one of your idols is how much littler they seem afterwords. I got to meet Opeth, and hang out with them quite a bit between the Deliverance tour to when Peter Lindgren left the band, and while they were OK, they were totally not out to make new friends, you know? So it was always awkward 'cause I'm not a hot chick. I got more interesting once I started learning some Swedish, but again, I had more fun bullshitting with their sound guys and chillin' with the crew and the guys from Devildriver (a band I don't even like). Not only that, but the dudes from the band had habits that I'm not necessarily down with and stuff..

There's this fantasy that you're going to meet your idols and see eye-to-eye, but that's just not the case. I suspect that if I were to meet Mr. V, he and I would have very little to say to each other. Sure, I'd like to believe that we'd have a really interesting conversation about something, but that's just not the sober Swedes that I've met.

Maybe it's just me, but I pretty much never want to meet any of my idols again.

i hate to use the word "idols", just as much as i hate to use the word "fans". I would call them: "people i admire" i guess... or maybe i just don't have idols. Anyway, i'm very shy so it really doesn't make much difference: i wouldn't dare to start a conversation to the "normal people" i don't know either, not to mention somebody famous...

The only time i met a band was Týr. They were extremely nice people irl, been chatting to them after the show like for half an hour. Heri (the frontman) even let us hear the yet unreleased song on his laptop! They were just normal people, very friendly. But maybe that's because i've been hanging around just too much on their forum and myspace, so Heri even recognized me without ever meeting me before :D And the second time i met them few months later, they recognized me again.

But well, that's the only band i ever met off stage, that's why i have no idea how other bands members are usually towards their fans... My guess would be: in general, the more famous the band is, the more distant/unfriendly/arrogant the band members are to their fans. That's why i would love to know what mr. V is like :p

I drove through Övik for the first time, btw. I think we stopped there to piss and buy some coffee about a half an hour after the bars closed on a Friday night. Ha! Höga kusten is fucking amazingly beautiful, man. We missed a lot of it 'cause it was dark, but once the sun started coming up it was definitely a sight to behold. Of course, it sucked to drive through.. We were driving a tiny car, dragging a släpp that was way too big for it.. some of those hills got so steep that we were going about 50 km/h up them.. Beautiful area, but I wouldn't have wanted to get stranded there. :lol:

Yeah Höga Kusten is almost like a rollercoaster, you have to make sure to hit the gas hard when going downwards :lol:
This whole coastal area between Övik and two hours south down to Sundsvall is well known for being like that, it's on the world heritage list actually, there are very few similar places in the world. If you ever drive through again, try to time it so you do it a while before the sun sets and you get that red/orange light, it's breathtaking.

i've met a lot of my favourite groups after concerts, but of course this doesn't mean we started a friendship, they were tired, i was tired too, my english isn't very good, and well, more than to say that you appreciate the concert/album/entire discography or that you have seen them already thousands of times, i think there's nothing more to say. we are just strangers, linked by the music, as writers from one side and listeners on the other, but still strangers we remain.
i'm quite shy too, so i perfectly understand what you mean Elvina, i sometimes feel petrified :lol:
i like doing photos during concerts and sometimes i asked to do some photos with the guys of the bands as for memory of the gig, 5 minutes of talk, but that's all. i remember one of nicest musicists i've met was Peavy of Rage, maybe he was in the right mood but he started to talk a lot, thanking us for buying cds and telling he would not be anyone without us fans. also omen were really nice people, especially kenny powel but he was interested in something else than speaking :lol:
i agree with Novermbers Dirge. they are just humans, as we are, maybe there's nothing interesting to know about them beyond music. i think that we may also get disappointed about the kind of person they can be, so maybe it's just better to not know more! but on the other hand, the curiousity remains, how can be the person that wrote that music you like so much, that have touched you so deeply, and maybe has been a good companion in hard times was no one else was there for you? :)
but again, i'm a very shy person, and i think that if i would find mr V in front of me i wouldn't be able to say a SINGLE word. yes i know he's just a normal guy but i see him like fucking music machine, something superhuman :lol:
believe me that sometimes i feel weird also when he comes here and replies to posts, i cannot believe he does such human things like to reply to us, surf the net, and stuff like that :loco:

i agree with Novermbers Dirge. they are just humans, as we are, maybe there's nothing interesting to know about them beyond music. i think that we may also get disappointed about the kind of person they can be, so maybe it's just better to not know more! but on the other hand, the curiousity remains, how can be the person that wrote that music you like so much, that have touched you so deeply, and maybe has been a good companion in hard times was no one else was there for you? :)
yes i would like to know that too, however that was not what i meant in this case... i was just wondering if he's a friendly person and if it was safe to approach him after the concert :p But in general, i'm also always interested in the personalities of the people who have that talent to create amazing music that enthralls and captivates me. I'm just overly curious of who they are, and what made them what they are... But i certainly wouldn't dream of finding that out other than by reading inteviews, watching vids and such.

but again, i'm a very shy person, and i think that if i would find mr V in front of me i wouldn't be able to say a SINGLE word. yes i know he's just a normal guy but i see him like fucking music machine, something superhuman :lol:
believe me that sometimes i feel weird also when he comes here and replies to posts, i cannot believe he does such human things like to reply to us, surf the net, and stuff like that :loco:

haha i bet you're not the only one feeling this way ;) i very much appreciate him doing so, i think it's just sooo cool that some great musicians just do normal nerdy things like that! :p In that sense, i guess Mikael Akerfeld beats them all as he writes about most personal things in his blog and we love him for that even more.

yes i would like to know that too, however that was not what i meant in this case... i was just wondering if he's a friendly person and if it was safe to approach him after the concert :p But in general, i'm also always interested in the personalities of the people who have that talent to create amazing music that enthralls and captivates me. I'm just overly curious of who they are, and what made them what they are... But i certainly wouldn't dream of finding that out other than by reading inteviews, watching vids and such..

you can ask lupskalla, she met him in oslo some months ago!
she told me he's a quite shy guy...
anyway he comes quite often on this forum, he doesn't speak about his private life of course, but i think you can make yourself a vague idea of the person he can be reading his posts :)

haha i bet you're not the only one feeling this way ;) i very much appreciate him doing so, i think it's just sooo cool that some great musicians just do normal nerdy things like that! :p In that sense, i guess Mikael Akerfeld beats them all as he writes about most personal things in his blog and we love him for that even more.

i wouldn't say that before, but hanging on the forum i discovered that there's a human being behind the genius :lol:

since i kinda met mr.V last friday, i thought i'd write an update...

First off, i am already extremely happy i have seen mr.V performing live at all! I had no idea he goes berserk on stage like that! :devil:totally awesome!! i guess the entire audience were caught up in his contagious energy and electric performance. I was totally blown away! ♥

After the show the guys were hanging around in the hall. What struck me is that Mr.V looked totally different off the stage :) kinda normal and not so wild at all :lol: Just as i thought, i was waaaay too shy to say anything to mr.V... :cry: i wonder how i even managed to ask him and Lazare for a picture...

3959370282_cd761ef57a.jpg

3959370002_1e24d0cab0.jpg

3959372060_846571b0f6.jpg

not the prettiest shot but it does look like fun, so i like it a lot :)

I hate myself for being so shy, i had like 100000 things to ask Andreas but i just couldn't bring it up :cry: now i really hope it wasn't my only chance waisted....
at least i got to meet him irl and see his amazing live performance which is already more than i could hope....

Now i keep my fingers crossed that either Borknagar or Vintersorg (or both?!) will be touring next year supporting their respective new releases and that they will come somewhere near me... and that i won't have to wait another 5 years or so...

so about what were you speaking in the last funny photo? you are all smiling showing 32 teeth :lol: (well not andreas, he is sleeping)

so about what were you speaking in the last funny photo? you are all smiling showing 32 teeth :lol: (well not andreas, he is sleeping)

:lol: it went like that: i asked them if i could have a picture with them both, yes sure; so it was like: Lars, Andreas, me. Then Lars said that i should go stand in the middle between them :D then we reorganize, i put my hands on their backs and Lars goes: Andreas is that your hand on my butt :lol::lol: me: no it's mine :p then we all laugh, and that's where the shot was taken i suppose. And no, my hand was not on his butt :oops::p neither was Andreas's :lol:

1. I like the little flower thingys? by your eyes.

2. In that picture, Andreas looks *exactly* like a friend of mine. Who is also, ironically enough, a teacher. (However, my friend isn't a musician, and Andreas doesn't lead Buddhist meditation groups, so they're definitely different people! :lol:)

3. I wonder if there's any pics of Asgeir and the Sarke cats floating around. They looked like they had a lot of fun.

:lol: it went like that: i asked them if i could have a picture with them both, yes sure; so it was like: Lars, Andreas, me. Then Lars said that i should go stand in the middle between them :D then we reorganize, i put my hands on their backs and Lars goes: Andreas is that your hand on my butt :lol::lol: me: no it's mine :p then we all laugh, and that's where the shot was taken i suppose. And no, my hand was not on his butt :oops::p neither was Andreas's :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
a similar thing happened to me with rotting christ. i've a sooo funny photo with them, we are all smiling/doing strange expression/looking in wrong directions because i asked the guitarist george to have a photo with him, one second before the shot themis the drummer came in shouting "meeeeee toooooooooooo!" and appearing at my side out of nothing.
george looked at him with a big question point on his face, said him something in greek, so i said "what?" george look at me, started to laugh, themis replied in english and so i said "vaffanculo, allora io parlo in italiano" (fuck you, then i speak italian) and in meanwhile of this crazy three languages dialogue the photo was taken :lol:

I went to the show in Oberhausen but I didn't get to meet him. My two friends (from which 1 had to drive home) were pretty tired and felt like leaving already some time before Borknagar started to play so the moment the band went off stage I disappeared as well. It would have been cool to meet mr.V afterwards but I think it's much cooler my friends waited for me this long so I could watch the entire show.
It was a great experience and I'm happy one of my friends and a guy I met that day took a lot of pictures so I can always look back at it. :)

yes i would like to know that too, however that was not what i meant in this case... i was just wondering if he's a friendly person and if it was safe to approach him after the concert :p But in general, i'm also always interested in the personalities of the people who have that talent to create amazing music that enthralls and captivates me. I'm just overly curious of who they are, and what made them what they are... But i certainly wouldn't dream of finding that out other than by reading inteviews, watching vids and such.

lol, like I said on the borknagar forum
my friends wanted to kiss all the borknagar members, it was fun to see vintersorgs reaction when they kissed him haha
normally I am involved with jokes like this but I decided to act more serious with my idols so I only did thank vintersorg for the show
ow, and I did taste vintersorgs sweat when he jumped in the crowd! ;)

elvina, I recognise you from the concert
do you have more photo's from the show and perhaps from the crowd? me and my friends also were in the front

lol, like I said on the borknagar forum
my friends wanted to kiss all the borknagar members, it was fun to see vintersorgs reaction when they kissed him haha
normally I am involved with jokes like this but I decided to act more serious with my idols so I only did thank vintersorg for the show
ow, and I did taste vintersorgs sweat when he jumped in the crowd! ;)

LMAO :lol: tsk tsk tsk i wonder what mr.V thinks of all this!! he must be thinking we're all insane! btw, were those female friends? :lol: otherwise i don't envy mr.V... :p

elvina, I recognise you from the concert
do you have more photo's from the show and perhaps from the crowd? me and my friends also were in the front

hmm i don't think i recognize you but if you were at the front i must have seen you too :) you're in the Colossus video somewhere in the pit, right?
Unfortunately my pics are not so great (used wrong camera settings, damnit!! :mad: ), and i haven't made pics of the crowd. Here you can see what i got.

I don't know. In the afternoon he was a bit shy when I was talking to him. But after the concert (and beer and wine) he became more extravert. On a moment when the band had to take a taxi me and a friend kissed the female singer of Wardruna just before they get in the car. I saw Gaahl laughing and then we were a little bit in doubt to kiss him. Well, next time better hehehe