My thoughts on "The Accolade"...

ArroyoMusic

New Metal Member
Jan 9, 2007
Hey guys. I posted a blog on my MySpace that I would like to share. I am new to Symphony X, but I am now a huge fan. The blog is about my personal thoughts on the song "The Accolade" and my interpretation of the lyrics therein. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. Oh yeah, i added some words to the lyrics to make it more of a poem than song lyrics. This is so those that don't listen or appreciate prog-metal can enjoy the depth of emotions these lyrics convey. I hope this is cool. Here is the link: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=146462833&blogID=471032627

-Arroyo-

Welcome to Symphony X the Accolade is one powerful song and they have many

Actually the lyrics are quite poetic as they were written and make for excellent spoken word. To me its a form of blasphomy to rewrite someone words. The way you did it changes some meaning as well

one of the gr8st song of the century...awesome lyric and superb composition with heart touching guitar solo :)

Actually the lyrics are quite poetic as they were written and make for excellent spoken word. To me its a form of blasphomy to rewrite someone words. The way you did it changes some meaning as well

100% agreed.

Ok, this is just me, but I feel like so many people seem to be misinterpreting the Accolade lyrics. I have always felt and still feel that the last verse, ie

"To see the light, he spent his life to understand
The sword he once held tight, falls forever from his hands"

means that the knight dies on his quest.

I also prefer my interpration to those that suggest that the verse means something else, cause to me... It doesn't. Great lyrics anyway.

As much as I love the original Accolade, I find the sequel to be superior. However, I think the original has a better chorus. It also has that part after the vocal interlude where there's a bunch of parts being played on top of each other. Amazing.

100% agreed.

Ok, this is just me, but I feel like so many people seem to be misinterpreting the Accolade lyrics. I have always felt and still feel that the last verse, ie

"To see the light, he spent his life to understand
The sword he once held tight, falls forever from his hands"

means that the knight dies on his quest.

I also prefer my interpration to those that suggest that the verse means something else, cause to me... It doesn't. Great lyrics anyway.
Yeah, you're right, that's what it means. The band said that. That's why the guy's son is burying him in the beginning of The Accolade II.

...LICKS LICKS LICKS LICKS!

"To see the light, he spent his life to understand. The sword he once held tight, falls forever from his hands."

Id have to agree with you that the knight dies. For many obvious lyrical reasons. Also I know i'm not the grammar guru so you can all laugh and poke fun all you like, but "HE SPENT HIS LIFE" has many meanings! Which to me is not time spent, but is life spent.

5. to give (one's blood, life, etc.) for some cause.

But I suppose anyone can view this however they see fit, or however the song touches them. That is how music is meant to be listened too, despite its actual meaning/story. And +1 for the above post as well, since 'The Accolade II' also explains that his father died.

"On a cold and misty night, a ring of torches lights the hallowed ground where his father's laid to rest. In the reflection of a sword ,he sees his destiny and he swears up to the sky - 'you will not have died in vain'"

Seems pretty clear to me....Epic song/s!

Blasphemy?! Damn! You think they will smite me? Either way, without me knowing the author's views of this song, I would have to filter the meanings of the lyrics with my own sense of perception and come up with a personal view of this song. I mean, that is the beauty of Progressive and Power Metal and Rock! These genres lyrical contents are so fantastical and "out there" that many times a literal meaning may be suggested, but it is also open to interpretation. It is not like a John Denver song where he says "Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy"! I mean, you can't interpret that any other way! I am very new to Symphony X, and I personally would prefer to not know so much what the lyricist meant by a given song, but instead allow the song to inspire me and leave it's own impression on my psyche. That is the power of our genre, Progressive Metal, that I prefer over any other style of music. It's like Freaking Lord Of The Rings + Distortion + Virtuosity = PROGRESSIVE-EFFING-POWER METAL!

So, with that said, I say let us all of the metal-round-table drink to thine and thine owns' health and prosperity (the sound of applause, chalices clanking, and the the chugging of mead) :kickass:

Nothing wrong with getting some personal meanings out of songs, IMO, so long as you recognize it may not be what the band intended - I do similar things myself, almost automatically, with lots of songs that tell stories (which SX has a lot of, so yeah...) often relating them to my own life or people I know.

As for your interpretation, I like it, but honestly I'm not sure SX intended anything beyond what the song literally talks about. =P

Great song, of course, great song.

Nothing wrong with getting some personal meanings out of songs, IMO, so long as you recognize it may not be what the band intended - I do similar things myself, almost automatically, with lots of songs that tell stories (which SX has a lot of, so yeah...) often relating them to my own life or people I know.

As for your interpretation, I like it, but honestly I'm not sure SX intended anything beyond what the song literally talks about. =P

Great song, of course, great song.

I understand. And I believe you are correct. I guess let me explain myself this way: I believe writers in the realm of fantasy and sci-fi (escape literature I believe it is called) are expressing, in written form, a deep-seated desire or longing for meaning and importance that the real world has not always given them. Okay, sometimes it is just cool thing to sing or write about, but at other times these artists are deeply in tune with the ironies and deceptions of life in such a way that they view life itself as a struggle that must be overcome, sometimes with great difficulty. It is an extremely healthy and productive form of expression to be able to tap into this mythical place, where wondrous things may occur and the idea that the insignificant can be mighty and courageous. Think of "The Hobbit", "Lord of the Rings", "Star Wars",...heck, even "The Matrix"! I mean, imagine of Frodo didn't destroy the ring, or if freaking Luke Skywalker gave into the Dark Side and became an intergalactic pimp daddy?! Would not the story lose it's appeal and would not your emotions lose that resolution it was looking for? Of Course!

With that being said, there is no Luke Freaking Skywalker, no Freaking Frodo, no Freaking Accolade-Knight-Person. It is all an expression of what was inside the heart of the story teller. Without getting to ofar in left field with this (I know, I probably am already there...it's a character flaw. Sue me.), that is why I can see a connection from a made-up person, like the individual in The Accolade, and someone true, like Abraham Lincoln. Because that whole idea of overcoming the struggle is the same. The difference is that one shows you that greatness really is in the insignificant and flawed (good ol' Abe. I love that guy!) and the other is the symbol of where our true self desires to be.

I am gonna stop here now...i can go on forever.

P.S. This is an awesome board, I can tell. Cmon! We couldn't do this at the Britney Spears or Jessica Simpson board! I should know, i tried. Just kidding....

-Arroyo-

Anything is possible in terms of music, since as I stated earlier everyone interpretation can be differint depending on how the song touches them. But Russell Allen used to be a knight where he worked at one point, hence why some albums with Allen on them have him named 'Sir Russell Allen'... Russell is in love with that stuff, there for is capable of singing about it quite amazingly. I dont think there is anything outside of the box with this song, but next time I see them I will be sure to ask them.

Anything is possible in terms of music, since as I stated earlier everyone interpretation can be differint depending on how the song touches them. But Russell Allen used to be a knight where he worked at one point, hence why some albums with Allen on them have him named 'Sir Russell Allen'... Russell is in love with that stuff, there for is capable of singing about it quite amazingly. I dont think there is anything outside of the box with this song, but next time I see them I will be sure to ask them.

Wow, you know those guys? I would like to know his thoughts on all this. What an unexpected surprise. Thanks dude. Tell um thanks for the inspiration. I have been on a musical high these last couple of weeks because I recently became a fan. I have even converted a few people. Some dude at work asked me what I was listening to and now loves their stuff and has just bought a couple of CD's. My younger bro recently fell in love with them and is practicing his guitar hard trying to learn Set The World On Fire. What a blessing it is to be an inspiration to other people. And that is exactly what they are, inspiration. (another sound of applause, chalices clanking, and the the chugging of mead) :kickass:

P.S. Oh crap! You are a judo dude. I love the art. I am a boxer.

A lot of us who've been into the band for a long time know a lot about the guys pasts (the thing about him being a knight is fairly common knowledge around here... or rather, it's come up quite a lot) and also, the guys are super accessible. if you go to a show and want to meet them, you WILL meet them and they'll bullshit for at least a short time. One of the most appreciative bands of their fanbase.

I always thought he died, too. Wasn't Accolade II supposed to be about the knight's son carrying on his legacy or something? Oh nvm Jeff said that already.

Paul Gilbert would make a great cheerleader.

I think the song talks about a Templar knight. Not an ordinary crusader knight. Because I don't think SX would glorify those regular crusaders, they were pillagers and murderers most of them. Templars on the other hand were true christians. Thats why the Pope ordered them annihilated. That's it for now, my history lesson.;)

It doesnt matter how someone interprets a piece of writting but changeing the words of another persons artistic work is blasphomy.

Further on this particular interpretation, I believe Slaydon is on to something, if this was written in direct reference to the Knights Templar, they were eventually persecuted for heresies and many were ordered executed by King Phillip and the Pope and the order was disolved. So be it by this or their activity during their Knighthood it is likely that the correct writting of these lyrics is closer to reality.

It doesnt matter how someone interprets a piece of writting but changeing the words of another persons artistic work is blasphomy.

Further on this particular interpretation, I believe Slaydon is on to something, if this was written in direct reference to the Knights Templar, they were eventually persecuted for heresies and many were ordered executed by King Phillip and the Pope and the order was disolved. So be it by this or their activity during their Knighthood it is likely that the correct writting of these lyrics is closer to reality.

Dude, the word "blasphemy" has a negative connotation. To be specific, it is irreverence or lack of respect. When someone inspires you and you want to share that inspiration with others, there is no disrepect in that. It is actually a compliment. Especially if I am turning people on to a band they never have heard of before. Several CD's sold because of my enthusiasm for the group. You act as if I changed the song lyrics completely and renamed it! C'mon now!

First of all, i agree that it's not blasphemy to create something based on being inspired by someone's art. It's not like he's calling it his own dude, he's saying he took something and changed it. It's not blasphemy, it's not plagiarism, it's fine. You don't have to like his interpretation as much, but it's legit. Example: Space Oddity is one of the best songs ever, and no one will argue that unless you're full of shit. Peter Schilling did an interpretation of that amazing song and those lyrics in his song Major Tom (Coming Home), which is obviously not as good as the original, but is still inspired by and therefore a relevant piece of art in its own sense.

Second, it's pretty obvious that the Accolade is about a Templar knight and not just a "regular" knight. It's pretty blatantly obvious from the chorus that this is the case.

Jesus, you guys are yelling at him for saying, "Hey, I made this work based on The Accolade"? The guy is paying homage to a song he really likes, and not taking credit for it. More power to him.