My thoughts on the new album

Wardy,

I couldn't have said it better myself (and I was an English major). I happen to love the emotion Ray is able to project. That's why Black and White World, and Love Kills Us All/Life In One Day are so powerful. Same for so many other songs prior and current.

Am currently listening to the new album for about the numpteenth time ,gets better with every listen great melodies lyrics and another great delivery from ray

Another outstanding effort!!! The original songs are excellent and the covers, wow. Blink of an Eye is my favorite so far. It could have been on Snowfall. What great tone. This is signature Redemption.

Let the U.S. tour begin.

I do agree with the production/mixing on this album being sub-par. Gotta disagree with the rest that review, however. The part of "Blink of an Eye" where Ray's voice cracks was obviously intentionally left on the record. I'm sure the band heard it and realized they stumbled upon a blessing. That part turned an already great song into a near masterpiece. It really connects with the lyrics and helps convey the message of a broken man with nowhere to run. Unable to go back in time to the way things were. Unable to change what's been done. Unable to find his voice. Brilliance, imo. Re-recording that would have been a huge mistake.

Overall, this album is fantastic. It definitely has a different feel to it than past albums due to the subject matter and such. There's also a lot of new ideas brought into the mix; especially with the choruses. It's far too early to know how it holds up it to rest of the band's discography. Individually, I don't think many of the songs quite match up to the strongest from past releases. But as a complete album with every song having an equally important role and everything coming together perfectly from start to finish, I don't think a better job could have been done.

Oh. The covers disc is cool too. It would have been nice to have "The Real Thing" on there as well though!

Ooooh! "The Real Thing". That would've been killer!! But that wouldn't necessarily fall into the category of a song by another artist you wouldn't think a metal band would cover.

I do agree with you wholeheartedly on your comments. I love the choruses. It seems there are more harmonies, layering of the rest of the guys singing back-up. I do hear a note or two of Queensryche (MindCrime) in there, and even a bit of Kansas; all from the influence of NK.

On the count of three....
ONE
TOUR
THREE
DALLAS!!

I am not alone. I love this band and expected so much more with TMC. I mean you have Neil Kernon working with you. I expected something top notch.

Songwriting on the album is really good, but Ray really needs to quit smoking. Recording quality is crap. They need to throw this to the almighty Andy Sneap and let him clean it up.

The cover songs are crap too. I don't believe Ray didn't match some of Perry's high end on Edge of the Blade. That is one of Journey's coolest songs.

I never thought I would say this again ( i said it when I heard the Live DVD Frozen in time), Ray needs a break. There is no conviction anymore.

The guitar work is A number 1. Solos are quite good.

.......and yes, I am a singer and a recording engineer.

I don't believe Ray didn't match some of Perry's high end on Edge of the Blade. That is one of Journey's coolest songs.
Oh, for sure. It's not possible for Ray to hit those notes anymore. The first thing I thought when I saw the tracklisting was "I would have loved to hear Ray Alder circa-1998 sing that song." Still, I enjoyed it much more than expected. He added a more aggressive edge to the vocal delivery which was cool.

Ray's voice is what it is and what it has been for years now. I appreciate that he's adapted his style of singing to what his current range allows. He doesn't just sing everything and octave lower. On every new recording, I hear new things he's never done before. Obviously, a lot of that to do with the strength of Nick's writing, but I think he does a great job with the execution.

As far as live performances go, I saw him last year with Fates on the Parallels tour and to me he sounded better than he did in 2007.

It really kills me that this CD wasn't better. I almost feel like crying.

Ray, quit smoking and you'll get your range back. YOU KNOW I am correct. Smoking dries out the throat and chords. That note in Blink of an Eye never should've been passed by. It was an obvious mistake of a dry, fatigued voice. I have had those, " Aww that sounded really cool" moments in the studio. That was not one. Edge of the Blade has dry notes all over, it made me pause and re-listen to see if that actually made it to press.

This "new" style that Ray has developed over the years is just getting lazier and more mundane. You ARE RAY FUCKIN ALDER, you need to sing like you should.......................John Arch sure sounds DAMN good on the new ARCH/MATHEOS cd and he's got a couple of years on ya.

I just tell myself maybe Neil Kernon is just too expensive, or InsideOut just doesn't have the funds. I say you start a Sneap fund, shit, I know a 20 year old that can obtain a better mix than this.

As I wipe a tear from my eye, I still love Redemption.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Andy Sneap who made Nevermores Enemies of Reality sound outstanding back in 2005???

About Rays voice, yes he should do everything he can to preserve his beautiful voice, but I still think that he would sound awesome... if he were more upfront in the mix. :)

Sure was, that's what redemption should do as well.

I can hear in the mix the difference in a good Ray vocal and a bad, tired one. Just go listen to the Snowfall CD, you'll hear the difference in everything from the mix of the solos to the balls Ray has on it.

Night and day.

I can hear in the mix the difference in a good Ray vocal and a bad, tired one. Just go listen to the Snowfall CD, you'll hear the difference in everything from the mix of the solos to the balls Ray has on it..
I have to agree. It's great if you guys enjoy the new album and are fond of the production. Just don't tell us what does and does not sound good. I know what I hear, and the production of the new disc does not do it for me. The vocals *are* mixed low, no question.

Fair point too... To each their own and all... I'm just pleased, while I recognize the low vocal mix and production issues, that I can still totally enjoy the album based on the performances and material. I mean I'm still hearing as many if not more highlights songwise than I did on Snowfall... And thankful too I might add, had Redemption released their own Dedicated To Chaos it would be too close to three strikes and out for 2011 ;)

I have a big problem with this new album : the sound
I'm not satisfied it's too muddy for my tastes
I love listen to music with headphones and i can tell you it's not a pleasure here!!
I have a problem with ""No tickets for the Funeral" , around 2mins there' s what i call a "digital noise" over the music (after lead guitar when Ray is starting singing)...it's ugly
I consider this as a flaw
I've sent a mail to Inside Out to know if it was my cd or the "production" ...i'm still waiting for an answer !!
Very sad this song is really good
I have a very good equipment and in this case i'm not sure it's an advantage , you can ear more the flaws!!

That noise in NTFTF has to be on purpose. I haven't quite figured out what it represents, but think about it. Would a professional (much less a newbie producer) allow the release of a track with such a glaring error? Come on. Give InsideOut, Neil Kernon, and the band a little credit here.

I have to agree with several other people... The more I listen, the more I am loving the album. The production is what it is. At this point, the album as it stands is a permanent part of the Redemption lexicon, and it fits right in with the rest of the albums as the band moves forward. No band should stagnate. If they came out with Snowfall, part 2 we'd be happy at first. But by the time Snowfall 3, 4, etc.. came out, they'd get blasted for not growing the music. All bands need to grow and mature. TMC seems to me to be a natural progression, a fitting next step from Snowfall.

That noise in NTFTF has to be on purpose. I haven't quite figured out what it represents, but think about it. Would a professional (much less a newbie producer) allow the release of a track with such a glaring error? Come on. Give InsideOut, Neil Kernon, and the band a little credit here.

I have to agree with several other people... The more I listen, the more I am loving the album. The production is what it is. At this point, the album as it stands is a permanent part of the Redemption lexicon, and it fits right in with the rest of the albums as the band moves forward. No band should stagnate. If they came out with Snowfall, part 2 we'd be happy at first. But by the time Snowfall 3, 4, etc.. came out, they'd get blasted for not growing the music. All bands need to grow and mature. TMC seems to me to be a natural progression, a fitting next step from Snowfall.

I do not regretting Snowfall i'm just talking about the production , mastering call it as you want
And about this "strange noise" on NTTTF well if it's volonteer the purpose escapes me !

I have a problem with ""No tickets for the Funeral" , around 2mins there' s what i call a "digital noise" over the music (after lead guitar when Ray is starting singing)...it's ugly
Lol. I'm pretty sure that's just the keyboards. They used some strange patches or effects at times. Listen to the verses in "Noonday Devil" and you'll hear the same sound.

Well this probably deserves its own thread but just to change the discussion somewhat and perhaps 'focus' on some positives and bit o fun... Favorites changing on an almost daily basis and remain subject to change but yer current top 3 Coils in runinng order when you've no time to digest the album in its entirity and instead getting yerself a quick fix?;

Let It Rain - Love its emotion and slow pull into that part of the story arc, Ray sells this and lovely chorus, great way to build into the record when not wanting to go from Path... being the softest on the record makes it stand out and shine! Always thought Origins of Ruin was a fine ballad (which IMO should've kicked off as track one on its album of same name) but Let It Rain probably nudges it out... Perhaps!

Stronger Than Death - Probably my favorite guitar fest and riffs in this one, and another super chorus! I dig the intro but once those riffs hit proper things get really tasty!:headbang:

Focus - Not quite the riffery of Stronger but a very complete song through and through, good music vocals and melodies and this one continues to grow with each listen.

And you?

@WardyS1

Of course we should discuss the more positive aspects.. I feel a little bit guilty for bringing it up in the first place (the sound aspect), even though I guess that someone else would've brought it up sooner or later. I too listen with headphones, and after several weeks of listening I too want a remake. It's too unpleasant. BUT.. I can enjoy the songs regardless...

so here's my top 3

Focus - same reasons as you gave WardyS1. It's got a bit of everything. Great vocals, great melodies, great chorus.

Noonday devil - fast, aggressive, love the lyrics. I get pumped up when this song plays, great song to listen to when working out. Awesome!

Perfect - The first song I really loved instantly, from the first note. Probably Rays best performance on this album. Catchy chorus. Beautiful.

IF I could pick 4 songs, which I can't, so I won't... or I will.. but it doesn't count :p I would pick Departure of the pale horse as well. Complex, progressive and a nice ingredient looking at the album as a whole entity, it's got a bit of everything.

One last thing, I really really love the solos on the album. I really think they complement the songs and I think this album has some of Nicks best soloing on any Redemption album!

Reflecting back on what has been written in this thread, the positives and the negatives, I want to say a few more things. First of, I stand behind everything I've said, the good, the bad and the ugly about this album. But there is one more thing I need to say that I haven't yet.

THANK YOU Nick and thank you Redemption for continuing to put out absolutely awesome music!

Now I'm not just kissing ass here. This album really means a lot to me, especially the theme of the album, as my mother is fighthing her cancer, and has been for the past 2 years. Although her prognosis is certainly very very depressing, and the outcome feels inevitable and coming closer at a rapid pace, this album helps me restore some faith that, for some people, there is a possibility to fight cancer and win. Even though I've lost many family members to cancer, I haven't lost my favourite music which paradoxically helps me get through the days when I'm thinking and feeling a lot about my mothers condition, and it restores hope in my body and soul.

Thank you.

Yeah I love that chorus, Departure Of The Pale Horse owns and quite possibly features the best chorus to be honest... And so uplifting! Whether that would be my fourth selection or not I don't know though such rather long list of likes. Blink, Perfect, Begin Again and TicketsTTF all there too! Noonday Devil was initially my least liked but it's sounding rather snappy now and I'm liking where it's headed!

I have searched through the album to find mention of Parker's current situation, wondering how dealing with that too while tackling blood cancer may have affected the process, whether giving Nick more fight or maybe compounding the fear of losing, likely both extremes... And another reason this album will stand the test of time and why the material and delivery rise above any sound concerns. A snapshot of a time which can be taken in many different ways... postive negative loss recovery hope... endless opportunities for listeners.

And best wishes to you and family Condemnation...