My Top 15 Progressive Metal Albums (Now With a Link!)

Too much Dream Theater in my opinion. I'd include them but not to the extent that you have.

It's a pretty good list though.

You could have edited your previous post and put in the link to avoid creating this thread. There's a little "edit" button on the bottom-right corner of all your posts. Please do that in the future.

Nice list though.

Yes, as for the Dream Theater, I was concerned there was a little bit of overflow. But I loved too many of their albums not to include as many as I did. It was even hard cutting the ones that I did.

Also, my old thread was locked, so no edit option available.

The other thread was more entertaining than this IMO

You should probably wait to make a list like this until you know more than three or four bands.

A top 15 list where 2 bands occupy 8 spots? Wow!

"My opinion changes on a weekly basis, but as of now, this is a strong list for anyone who wants to get exposed to the genre."

Judging from the list it sounds like you yourself were recently exposed to the genre.

While I agree with you completely, I wouldn't expect a better list from you, in fact I think that "Your Dick" would top all 15 spots

It's pretty offensive to fans of either band to put Dream Theater and Opeth in the same genre, imo.

First of all, I am very aware of many bands in this genre. I had to leave out many albums by other bands (Pagan's Mind, Watchtower, Symphony X, Dominici, etc.) simply because I didn't feel that they produced an entire album that was so epic and worthy of the top 15 albums of ALL TIME. Don't get me wrong, there are bands other than the ones on that list that have released some amazing shit that could've easily have made a top 50 or top 25 list.

But I'm not going to add albums that I don't think cut the list just for the sake of having a greater variety of bands on the list.

This is my list, and more importantly my opinion.

You're missing Crimson and Crimson II, and you know it.

And therefore could have gone in The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like. If you think your opinion deserves a thread dedicated to it (or two threads dedicated to it :p) then understand people are going to scrutinize it.

The main problem with having so few bands is that there's fairly little difference stylistically between Blackwater Park and Still Life, for example, so having both of them seems unnecessary.

EDIT: ninja'd

It's not an awful list, I suppose... Er, it would have been nice if you could have said something about each album rather than just name good songs from it. Something to explain why you liked it so much. I understand that some people can't find the words for these sort of things, but I can say that people who can find the words are better at making worthwhile lists than you.

Also, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, the title track, is absolutely horrible. The first disc of the album is actually quite good. But I don't see why people like the title track at all. It feels like a 40-minute medley, not a 40-minute epic.

EDIT: Also, to force my own subjective opinion upon you and your list: Needs more Devin Townsend. Possibly Terria. Preferably at #1.

Instead of attacking the obvious, I wonder what you see in Fates Warning's No Exit? I like the album a quite a bit myself, but it's basically a less technical/progressive Watchtower that goes by too quickly initially and then goes through a hell of a disjointed speed bump with the closer.

It's pretty offensive to fans of either band to put Dream Theater and Opeth in the same genre, imo.

Actually, they both fall into the genre of progressive metal, with one being in the subgenre 'extreme progressive' and the other not.

And yeah the list isn't diverse enough, and SDOIT is not DT's best work.