My Top 15 Progressive Metal Albums (Now With a Link!)

Why do people seem to enjoy masturbating over the number of different sub-genres there can be?

They're both proggy, they're both metal. Prog Metal. Done.

I think most really specific sub-genres are pretty dumb, but the whole point of a genre is to come somewhat close to defining a sound, sooo...yea you kinda need different ones if you're going to compare My Arms, Your Hearse and Train of Thought or w/e.

I guess it generally means complex music with odd timings.

http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=19

Just as Prog Rock bands want to push the boundaries of rock music, Prog Metal bands want to do the same. Bands like Opeth and Dream Theater are as much influenced by prog rock bands like Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree etc as they are by their metal contemporaries.

lateralus14 said:
I think most really specific sub-genres are pretty dumb, but the whole point of a genre is to come somewhat close to defining a sound, sooo...yea you kinda need different ones if you're going to compare My Arms, Your Hearse and Train of Thought or w/e.

I'm not sure you do, otherwise you're going to be coining names for every single band that have a unique sound.

Dream Theater fans do tend to like Opeth and vice versa, not as a rule but it's often the case, even if they sound very little alike.

Much of their music is incredibly shallow, repetitive and milks all the worst aspects of power balladry to it's most nauseating extreme. LaBrie is a decent power vocalist but he's far too pretentious and showy sounding to do anything with the slightest hint of real emotion. The band did a few good albums early in their career but since then they've mostly been doing mediocre rehashes of the same formula while knocking off annoying trends in popular music in an attempt to make themselves sound more "accessible" and "evolutionary". They really just need to disappear from the face of the earth already.

I like Dream Theater but I cannot stand LaBrie's vocals at all. Steven Wilson or Mikael Akerfeldt's clean vocals sound a lot more natural.

The trouble with Dream Theater is that they've written some fantastic riffy songs but always feel the need to rehash the same ideas (theme and variation) 100 times in the same song until it reaches the beloved 10 minute mark.

I think they've missed the point of progressive music to an extent in that aspect. Case in point, The Glass Prison. It's a cool riffy song but about 7 minutes too long. If you cut off the various solos by the keyboard player etc then it'd be fantastic.

Much of their music is incredibly shallow, repetitive and milks all the worst aspects of power balladry to it's most nauseating extreme. LaBrie is a decent power vocalist but he's far too pretentious and showy sounding to do anything with the slightest hint of real emotion. The band did a few good albums early in their career but since then they've mostly been doing mediocre rehashes of the same formula while knocking off annoying trends in popular music in an attempt to make themselves sound more "accessible" and "evolutionary". They really just need to disappear from the face of the earth already.
Couldn't have said it better myself, the last sentence pretty much sums it up.

Fuck DT. Fuck LaBrie, fuck Portnoy, fuck everybody in that shitty band.

The lack of BTBAM makes me sad. Fuck the OP too.

I have a better lists than this faggets obvious failure.

1) A progressive list with no shadow gallery is like a deaf man with a walkman - pointless

2) people new to a genre (and music in genreal) should not make fuck off lists and should just fuck off (in general)

3) A prog list with half dt but no images and words is compareable to the show two and a half men winning a emmy - retarded.

4) Tool - aenima on a prog metal list........ya.......not much else to say about that...

5) ehh...

6) alright im done

Lol, first of all I've barely listened to them at all in the last few months. Second of all, way to point out something irrelevant.

I simply think that ratings on a point scale are designed to rank albums above or below one another and if you have like a hundred 10 out of 10s, there's pretty much no point to the ratings unless you somehow value each and every album the same.

I simply think that ratings on a point scale are designed to rank albums above or below one another and if you have like a hundred 10 out of 10s, there's pretty much no point to the ratings unless you somehow value each and every album the same.

It's amazing how many people who listen to music don't seem to understand this.