My top ten records of the year...

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
For whatever reason, I do this every year....list my top 10. They weren't all released this year (though most were). These are just the albums I listened to most....Feel free to tack your list on.

1. John Arch - A Twist of Fate
2. A Perfect Circle - The 13th Step
3. Isis - Oceanic/Celestial
4. Opeth - Damnation/various others
5. Voi Vod - Self titled
6. Dead Can Dance - Box set
7. Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
8. Old Man Gloom - Seminar II/Zozobra
9. Electric Wizard - Dope Throne/Let Us Prey
10. Enslaved - Below The Lights

Honorable mention:
Kings of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood

I'm sure I'm forgetting something really important (at work, CD collection not in front of me)....but that's pretty close if nothing else....

Incidentally, anybody who hasn't heard the John Arch CD, well, check that fucker out. It's just an EP, but still gets my record of the year for sure. John, if you don't know, used to be the singer for Fates Warning, whom I was a mild fan of. His CD though, is just fucking amazing....!

Oh fuck me....I forgot AFI. I listened to a whole lot of AFI this year; Sing the Sorrow and The Art of Drowning especially.....

Agree, "The 13th Step", "Damnation" and "Dance of Death" are great...

I can only add

Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
Caliban - Shadow Hearts (nobody knows 'em...)
End of Green - Last night on earth (same here)

1. Overkill-Killbox 13
2. Evergrey-Recreation Day
3. Opeth-Damnation
4. Nevermore-Enemies Of Reality ( Production issues aside...)
5. Iron Maiden-Dance Of Death
6. Marilyn Manson-The Golden Age Of Grotesque
7. Dimmu Borgir-Death Cult Armageddon
8. Kalmah-Swampsong
9. Nightrage-Sweet Vengeance
10. Arch Enemy-Anthems Of Rebellion

I haven't heard either the new Perfect Circle, or the new Machine Head yet. When I do they will probably knock the last two off the list.

Oh Christ....I completely forgot about the new Nevermore. You know, truth is I haven't even gotten it yet.....I better get me to the sto' tonight.

Frick, Triumphant Apostle..you reminded me about the Manson record too....yeah, that's a good 'un. I like all Manson's stuff, and Golden Age is a fine disc....defintately one of the best this year.

The three albums that get the most play for me, are Isis Oceanic, Testament The Gathering, and Slayer's Reign in Blood.

ElectricWiz said:
Frick, Triumphant Apostle..you reminded me about the Manson record too....yeah, that's a good 'un. I like all Manson's stuff, and Golden Age is a fine disc....defintately one of the best this year.
Yeah, I also have to admit to being a huge Manson fan. I know alot of people hate him which is fine, but no one tells me what I can and can't listen to! I've been listening to metal/hard rock since I was about five years old (22 years ago!) and I've always had varied tastes. Anyway I really liked the new album of his quite a bit. I think the second half of the album is MUCH better than the first half though. Too bad he concentrated on the first half of it when I saw him in October.

You've also all forgotten Strapping Young Lad - SYL

smile.gif

Calvin2k3 said:
Agree, "The 13th Step", "Damnation" and "Dance of Death" are great...

I can only add

Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
Caliban - Shadow Hearts (nobody knows 'em...)
End of Green - Last night on earth (same here)

I listen to Caliban...

@Triumph: I have the new Machine Head, but I don't know that it beats out Arch Enemy's new album, but give the new MH a listen, it's good.

Am I the only one who thought the majority of those bands suck including the ones he missed? I mean Manson?? Because of shit like that I just dig deeper into the past before diving into anything recent. I mean John Arch? I heard that whole fucking thing the day it came out and it was a load of shit. Portnoy never seems to create ANYTHING new for himself since FII and the continued use of him by prog side acts only makes his style that much more stale.

On a side note, this forum is getting so fucking lame. I've seen so many people who like Opeth along with other lame bullshit. I can't stomach the posts much longer.

DreamingofUr said:
Am I the only one who thought the majority of those bands suck including the ones he missed? I mean Manson?? Because of shit like that I just dig deeper into the past before diving into anything recent. I mean John Arch? I heard that whole fucking thing the day it came out and it was a load of shit. Portnoy never seems to create ANYTHING new for himself since FII and the continued use of him by prog side acts only makes his style that much more stale.

On a side note, this forum is getting so fucking lame. I've seen so many people who like Opeth along with other lame bullshit. I can't stomach the posts much longer.
Then don't come here. Just because other people don't like EXACTLY the same bands you like doesn't mean the forum is getting lame. I listen to everything from Opeth, to Disincarnate, to Tom Petty. EVERYONE has different tastes and you need to accept that fact...

My choice for album of the year goes to

*****A PERFECT CIRCLE - 13TH STEP*****

With runner-ups:
OPETH - DAMNATION
STRAPPING YOUNG LAD - SYL
DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND - ACCELERATED EVOLUTION

And very honorable mentions to:
NASUM - HELVETE
LAMB OF GOD - AS THE PALACES BURN
KATATONIA - VIVA EMPTINESS
THE CROWN - POSSESSED 13
UNDERWORLD SOUNDTRACK
BLACK DAHLIA MURDER - UNHALLOWED
BURNT BY THE SUN - PERFECT IS THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD
EDGE OF SANITY - CRIMSON II
THE HAUNTED - ONE KILL WONDER

And also deserving of some recognition:
ARCH ENEMY - ANTHEMS OF REBELLION
SOILWORK - FIGURE NUMBER 5
NOTHINGFACE - SKELETONS

Triumphant Apostle said:
Then don't come here. Just because other people don't like EXACTLY the same bands you like doesn't mean the forum is getting lame. I listen to everything from Opeth, to Disincarnate, to Tom Petty. EVERYONE has different tastes and you need to accept that fact...

Thanks for saying exact because I never said EXACT in the first fucking place. People can't even fucking read anymore and I'm supposed to except someone's taste as good? I think not and no matter how you slice it...Manson fuckin blows. Nothing like posing for the media huh? And I don't give a fuck who you like but thanks for the short bio.

ElectricWiz said:
Oh fuck me....I forgot AFI. I listened to a whole lot of AFI this year; Sing the Sorrow and The Art of Drowning especially.....

Nice to see another AFI fan

I haven't even bought 10 CDs this year,
but what I like of the ones I have bought is

1. Opeth - Damnation
2. Edge of Sanity - Crimson II
3. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (european special edition) heh
5. AFI - Sing The Sorrow
6. Katatonia - Viva Emptiness

Honorable mentions: A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step, yes yes it is good but doesn't to deserve to be ranked among those above :)

OK, I don't know shit about Devin Townsend...but he sure comes up here a lot. Somebody turn me on to a good title...? Also, what kind of stuff is it? A mix between what other bands. I gotta know 'cause I keep seeing him in people's lists and in other threads, generally speaking.

Enlighten me....