n00b question about CoB and their recording....

Rock Hydra

Feel the Strain!
Nov 27, 2005
Buffalo, NY. U.S.A.
I'm not too familiar with recording and things like that...but....do CoB play through the songs and then alexi records the vocals and it gets dubbed over the guitars? I was listing to some songs, and there were some points where he randomly sreams for a long period, I would just think it seems kinda hard to scream for as long as he does and concentrate on playing the riff right.

Yeah, I don't really think bands just stand in a recording studio and play it all at once like they would live. There was a time though..

Rock Hydra said:
I'm not too familiar with recording and things like that...but....do CoB play through the songs and then alexi records the vocals and it gets dubbed over the guitars? I was listing to some songs, and there were some points where he randomly sreams for a long period, I would just think it seems kinda hard to scream for as long as he does and concentrate on playing the riff right.
Yeah, it's all mixed seperately. You can even tell when Bodom plays live that Alexi doesnt do his screams in proper places.

while you scream theres no difference in screaming *WWWRRROOOAAARRR* and *WRRROOAAAGGGG* to me. The truth is nowadays noone really reords stuff all together at the same time. Guitars are often doubed themselves, each word in lyrics can be cut out and screamd and pasted againg if the produced doesnt like it. Nowadays theres also that stupuid trend to rerecord yer live gigs, while nobody will notice that you actually played that solo again in studio so they could swich it with the bad one you really played life. Bands recodring live do that often unless they really want to show off and that they dont cheat :p this is really common in music bussiness for live recordngs.

have you ever considered cob plaing with playback? :lol:

Of course they record everything separately. Drums, bass, guitars, keyboards, vocals... everybody plays their parts as well as they can and then they're put together. I once counter how many sections there was to record in T,L&S.. can't remember it anymore, but probably something like 15+. CoB plays so well on the gigs it almost sounds like they just put the CD in.. but you don't wanna hear a fuck up on the CD 10.000 times and that's why they do this..

I was going to say that, let's be realistic. And my opinion is not influenced by AYDY, I thought the same before it. Most songs from FTR are almost impossible for them to play live, althought the ones from HCDR seem to be easier. And Tokyo Warhearts sounds good, maybe they had a good day. :)

Bodom After Breakfast said:
You can even tell when Bodom plays live that Alexi doesnt do his screams in proper places.

yeah its called improv, no one wants to see the same thing over and over again.

^ Lots of people know. It's impossible to play the leads Alexi used to play and sing at the same time. c_+

No, not maybe. You can only concentrate on singing if you're playing easy rhythm tracks, there's no way one can focus on two instruments at the same time.