Naberus - The Fallen (rawest thing in a while - JeffTD reamps)

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

Quick teaser from the last CD I did. A lot more raw than most of the stuff I've done lately. Apart from the kick the drums are almost 100% natural, and the thing as a whole has a bit of a drier, woody vibe around it. Anyway, just putting it up in case any of you are into the music.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds awesome man I really dig the natural vibe on the drums, it really suits the vibe of the song. Also the way the guitars and bass gel to form a larger entity is just great, it sounds really crushing.

Cheers guys. Have to admit I was a bit worried with this one, as its a bit non-standard for me, but it seemed to be the best fit for the music and the tracks that were recorded.

@Uros: There were two LPs in the chain. Originally one at 7khz and another at around 10khz if memory serves. That's for the rhythms. Leads generally just had an LP between 10 and 12k.

This is the best mix I have heard from you and best band I have heard you mix (on this board), very cool stuff and smooth. What are you doing to those clean vocals in the chorus, a little chorus?

What are you doing to those clean vocals in the chorus, a little chorus?

They're all quad-tracked, and have been tightened pretty hard using voc-align for choruses, so that inherently gives them a chorusy feel. The center ones have a been of stereo widening and the side ones have a bit of chorusing. There's also delay, verb, EQ, comp, distortion etc. - all the usual stuff.

For those of you who didn't catch it, we did a little video of the drum tracking session for this. Was one of the best kits I've ever recorded. Best toms by far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like how this turned out man! Nice to hear some real drums in there, fits the music perfectly. All nicely glued together to. I would have liked the kick to be a bit louder other then that, perfect :)

Haha, your comment on that first revision of the mix that it didn't sound glued stayed with me for the whole time. I was always making sure it all fit together, and in the end I ended up using a lot of Nebula tape saturation, which I didn't think was needed at first, but helped bring it all together.

The kick actually was very strong in the subs and pumped the whole thing, but unfortunately we had to rush the last day when I did the mastering, and in my haste I took out too many subs, so it doesn't punch as much as it otherwise would have. Ah well! There's always something.

Thanks for listening!

I can't speak for what Plec does in mastering, but in this case where I mastered it myself, most certainly not. Whatever width there is, is just a byproduct of the mix methinks.

Are you using any stereo widening plugins, or is it all in the mixing and panning?