Nationality...

It's kind of a tricky question, that thing as to whether Mexico and Cuba belong to North America. Most people i Canada would say that they do, because they are part of the much famed NAFTA agreement. I cannot thing of ANY Danes that would put Greenland, which belongs to Denmark, in North America. I was lazy and copied this from the net, though, so that you can see that not all agree with this:
"Geopolitically, North America is sometimes used to refer to Canada and the United States together (plus Greenland, Bermuda, and St. Pierre and Miquelon), while Central America is mainland North America south of the U.S.
The UN geoscheme includes Mexico in Central America (subregion) (defined as all mainland states of North America south of the United States), but the European Union excludes Belize and Mexico from its definition of the region.
The term Middle America is sometimes used to refer to Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean collectively. The island of Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory but functions as a commonwealth with its own representative government."

Not so simple and way the hell O/T. I am not sure that I can think of any language that calls citizens of the US anything other than "Americans".

Well I'm Irish, but live in the UK.....I had a Swedish Mother & my Dad is Irish.

I also have not been on these boards for ages.....so I had to re-register!! anyway I was called Irish......something!!

Tyra said:
I guess I am just an Earthling.
That's all I claim to be. In this infinite universe, which is still expanding millions of billions of miles each day, i kind of find it hard to believe that my geographic origins on a wet rock, floating in an outer spiral arm of the milky way galaxy are really very important.

...btw, All of the Canadians can stop complaining about the heat now...thanks, love, the Floridians.

Ikki said:
why the swedish people do not think you are swedish,just because you dont live in sweden, then what about the people that have been living in sweden for ten years but were born in Morocco,are they swedish,are more swedish than you???dont think so..

i love you.
i'm sure you have a sweet spanish accent too, those are hot. :)

Warrior of Death said:
But it is really cool to see so many American AA fans! It seems like that AA gets more popular in USA than in Skandinavia nowadays...
You'd be surprised if you knew how popular they are here in Croatia :kickass:

Belgar said:
I like how Tyra is always so precise in her replies. Reading her posts must be such a hard task for so many on the boards (rip burnt brain cells). I am sure she will know what I mean.
Comes from being anal retentive and from having studied too many languages for my own good.

Tyra said:
...and not so good. Mind you, it's better than Molson No-Longer-Canadian...

Have you tried beer from quebec? If you like very strong beer try basicly anything from Unibroue brewery. If not there is some other micro-brewery like RJ that as some great beer. :)

Yeah, I'm just pissed because Molson and Labatts both sold out and we no longer have a major beer label here. It's really all about the micro breweries anyhow. We have some good ones in BC. Anyhow, as you know, Pyaemia, I am partial to mead and especially my own homebrewed stuff. Beer doesn't really turn my crank. Not very Norse of me, I know.

Tyra said:
Yeah, I'm just pissed because Molson and Labatts both sold out and we no longer have a major beer label here. It's really all about the micro breweries anyhow. We have some good ones in BC. Anyhow, as you know, Pyaemia, I am partial to mead and especially my own homebrewed stuff. Beer doesn't really turn my crank. Not very Norse of me, I know.

Well you were right. There alot of different mead in Quebec you just need to know where to find them. I have tried maybe 5-7 different now and only one was with fruits. Still have a few to go... I always drink alot of water INBETWEEN cause it dehydrates you at a ridiculous rate!!!! :) Tell me how to make mead :)

Yes, it dehydrates something awful, and between that and the amount of honey that's in it, it gives awardwinning hangovers if you don't watch. Maybe that's why the Vikings were so nasty? LOL.
Mead is made plain and simple by warming up water and honey to finger warm temperature and adding yeast to it. Some people like to use wine yeast, some beer yeast, and some prefer champagne yeast. Then you have to let it ferment before you bottle it, the same way you do with wine. I do this with a carboy, but that is not how the Norse uesd to make it...they used an open vat. You can add fruit or spices for flavour to the liquid for this part of the process, and then strain them out before you bottle. The difficulty lies in that different fruits have different acidity levels, and if you add acid, your yeast won't always do it's thing. Then you have to either add more honey or add tannin (depending on how sweet you like your mead). Tannin can be bought in bags similar to the bags the yeast comes in, but I just use a black teabag. Tea has all sorts of tannin in it. If you do not add any fruit to the mead you need not worry about that step, but it's worth the hassle. Go on the net and find one of the many recipes and it'll tell you exactly how much tannin to add per liter and so on! Once you've bottled the mead it has to age in the bottle, like wine. The longer the better, but it'll taste rancid if you drink it before 12 weeks. I make my mead in the fall and drink it in late spring. It is quite simple to make. I started out making small batches, 5 litres at a time, so that it was less space consuming, until I knew what I was doing. Now there is no point in making small batches, because then "someone" always drinks all of it before I get to sample any of my own product. The old Norse mead didn't have much similarity to the stuff you buy in wine bottles in the store today. The home made stuff is more like it. The mead was thick and black and full of imporities from the fruits and spices back then. Mine tends to be somewhat thick, yellow to amber in colour (unless it's got fruit or something in it, but then it's technically speaking melomel or pyomel rather than mead) and I try to get as much gunk out as possible, or the gunk will start to ferment once you've bottled the mead, which ruins the mead.
Check the net, there are tons of recipes some really good stuff. Then when you get better, you can make up your own.

Ikki said:
what?..i´m afraid i dont understand that..My question is how are we supposed to called naturally born in the USA people, as we tend to called them north americans, but canadians are also north americans,and...i´m not sure if Mexico and greenland fit into that..anyway, if USA where the only country in the north area,then Ok,no prob, but they are not,so how are they supposed to be called???

The latest (and only I think hehe :lol: ) fashion is calling them "usonians."

And if ye pay attention, the US doens't actually have a name. You know, because they're just called the US of America. So what? We still have "República Federativa do Brasil" (Federative Republic of Brazil) which is divided in states, and EVEN MORE, , Estados Unidos Mexicanos
(United Mexican States).

So the US is as a matter of fact a name-less country. They're so stupid they couldn't even think of that LOL :lol: :p .

@ darkkiuba: Cuba isn't own by the US, that's just plain stupid.

Tyra said:
Yes, it dehydrates something awful, and between that and the amount of honey that's in it, it gives awardwinning hangovers if you don't watch. Maybe that's why the Vikings were so nasty? LOL.
Mead is made plain and simple by warming up water and honey to finger warm temperature and adding yeast to it. Some people like to use wine yeast, some beer yeast, and some prefer champagne yeast. Then you have to let it ferment before you bottle it, the same way you do with wine. I do this with a carboy, but that is not how the Norse uesd to make it...they used an open vat. You can add fruit or spices for flavour to the liquid for this part of the process, and then strain them out before you bottle. The difficulty lies in that different fruits have different acidity levels, and if you add acid, your yeast won't always do it's thing. Then you have to either add more honey or add tannin (depending on how sweet you like your mead). Tannin can be bought in bags similar to the bags the yeast comes in, but I just use a black teabag. Tea has all sorts of tannin in it. If you do not add any fruit to the mead you need not worry about that step, but it's worth the hassle. Go on the net and find one of the many recipes and it'll tell you exactly how much tannin to add per liter and so on! Once you've bottled the mead it has to age in the bottle, like wine. The longer the better, but it'll taste rancid if you drink it before 12 weeks. I make my mead in the fall and drink it in late spring. It is quite simple to make. I started out making small batches, 5 litres at a time, so that it was less space consuming, until I knew what I was doing. Now there is no point in making small batches, because then "someone" always drinks all of it before I get to sample any of my own product. The old Norse mead didn't have much similarity to the stuff you buy in wine bottles in the store today. The home made stuff is more like it. The mead was thick and black and full of imporities from the fruits and spices back then. Mine tends to be somewhat thick, yellow to amber in colour (unless it's got fruit or something in it, but then it's technically speaking melomel or pyomel rather than mead) and I try to get as much gunk out as possible, or the gunk will start to ferment once you've bottled the mead, which ruins the mead.
Check the net, there are tons of recipes some really good stuff. Then when you get better, you can make up your own.

WOaa.. , so ill really have to "train" before I can make something decent? Must take long to test your own product because U need to wait minimum 12 week? I guess in the long run its worth it moneywise and authenticitywise :) Ill look it up. sorry I dont want to hi-jack the thread.

The country does't have a name because at the time of it's creation all of the states were individual colonies, each with their own name, virginia, mass, new york, etc. Each colony had it's own government and customs, and as is still present today, dialect. When the colonies became independent from england, they chose a loose alliance of sovreign states, known as confederation. As such it was not one country under one government, but several equal states agreeing to defend and trade with one another, and allow open passage from state to state for citizens. Essentially, however each state was it's own country, and so wouldn't have any business in changing it's name, a sign of the fierce individualism upon which the country was founded. This is the same reason our capitol is not in a state, but it's own district, because allowing any one state to have the capital of our country would elevate that state to the most important instead of one among equals. I don't think it was particularly stupid at all.

So, T., at what point did it become a country, with a sovereign (federal) government and all? Or didn't it? I thought that it must at some point have become that, because at one point you had certain things, such as a military draft and bussing of black children to schools, where what the federal govenment says over-rules what the state legislation says. Or am I wrong? I am not sure if there is a point when the state over-writes the federal government... Canada was known as The Dominion of Canada back then, but we also have/had a system of more or less independent provinces with their own governments and laws under one federal government. Our system is different, though, as we were subsidiaries of the British crown that whole time. We still have QEII on out coins, and she still has a representative here (let's not even start on that st#&%* f*"#%& institution, OK?) and has to sign all amendments made to certain types of laws etc for them to take effect. I'm just curious of how that works in the US...

I love how the threads in this forum start out in one spot and very quickly turn into something different. Are we ever off topic... Not that I really care, as long as I'm learning and/or having fun.