Nationality...

Tyra said:
Yeah, back to how it was when Eirik Raudi first named it - GREEN! But what will the Muslims do without Danes to annoy??
I thought it was just as cold and frigid then, he just named it so to trick people into living there? :lol:

:worship: Amon Amarth :worship: VIKING metal
im from morocco and i know evrything about AA i got all there albums even the last one (with oden on our side)
i saw them in a concert in france that was great :Smokin:

darcy said:
I thought it was just as cold and frigid then, he just named it so to trick people into living there? :lol:

It was cold and fridigd, but not relative to Iceland. Sure it was a PR ploy, but consider that back then, Greenland was a whooooole lot warmer and greener than it is today. So was Europe. The climate goes through cycles of hot and cold, which impacts history in tremendous ways. It dictates where people settle, what their economy is based on, the movement of people and therefore wars etc. When the climate swung back to the much colder climate of today, the Greenlanders did not adapt like the native Inuit population (I think their're Inuit, cannot remember the tribes and such for sure, so no offense if I am wrong - the natives, anyhow - as if that has a less colonial ethnocentric ring to it...), and they lost their natural resources by such things as over-grazing, and because of the climate. When the ships from Iceland did not come to re-stock, they just died. We don't know how exactly. There are traces of bad famine, such as human teethmarks on dog skeletons (=those people are of a culture that would not have eaten their dogs unless they were severely distressed).
Anyhow, it was relatively warm at the time Erik the Red named it, and it really was green, especially in comparison to some other places. It was also a PR ploy. One cannot be the highest dude on the totempole if there is nobody to put under you, so he needed someone to come with him and someone to trade with.

Ah, understood. Thanks again! That makes sense along with the name "Vinland" for where they landed in the Maritimes, I've heard that with the retreating snows they've found evidence that grapes grew where there is only ice and snow now. It seems there's been a mini-ice age somewhere in the past 1000 years. Peculiar!

Celtik Militia said:
i love you.
i'm sure you have a sweet spanish accent too, those are hot. :)

ummm...yes, i do have an spanish accent,however i´m from the north coast,so it´s not really the kind of accent that people quote as "nice"..it´s strong, we do pronounce every single letter from a word,remark "r","s","g"...

ummm, after a week the post still in here..well,anyway, my question is still unsolved, but hey, why is that people always love to call countries as "stupid"...that is fact is a very stupid act itself, USA is USA for the good and the bad, so it´s Belgium,Sweden or Spain..which is then an intelligent country,and why...

Australia is an awesome country but nobody comes here for concerts XD
And Sweden is the second best ;)

Off topic: Any aussies know where to buy all of their albums from?

well...I'm not 100 % certain but...Frende is friend....and if we look at the Language tree...we can se that Norwegain is liked to the west germanic language I think..so It would only make scence that it looks the almost the same

hehe your right..but I think we are talking about the same thing..cause german and norwegain is language related:) that why is may be very close to what they say in germany:)