Nazi, rasicm etc...

I pay no attention to that
unless they say something like: latin americans are filthy pigs and deserve to be burned to ashes
that would upset me a little
but racist people is ignorant people who believe themselves as superior as someone else

and for the storm part
I don't think the guy is nazi,maybe anti semithic(I don't know how to spell it in english,you dislike jews) because there's lots and lots of people who are like that and not nazi. thru history the jews have been kicked out of every country they have been into and people weren't nazi back then. I agree with what someone said about medieval times that bluemen were the arabs and the moors(sp?) and that includes the jews.

This is what I think:
It realyl does NOT matter what people think, they can have whatever ideas they want. Why should it matter? I don't really see why.. For me it sounds stupid to stop listen to a band just because the members have different ideas than yourself..

I won't consiously go out and spend money on an album knowing that part of the money is helping racially motivated music to continue spreading their BS propaganda. (And yah I know that I'm just 1 person..and my not buying the album does nothing to help the cause)... But it's just for me to do my 'little' part.

Hmmm, I do not buy albums of bands that put either racial / nazistic lyrics in their music, and I mostly avoid bands of whom I know that they have racistic approaches. Ultima Thule is a good example for that, and there are also some bands that are called Viking Metal, too.

But I really dislike that "normal" bands of the same genre have to suffer from those racistic ones, when all that right-winged crap shows up at the concerts, this really pisses off some good bands I have met after some gigs... and me, too :/

This is a difficult subject... I despise Naziism, racism and prejudice, and religiously themed music, satanic or otherwise annoys me. But I still listen to some... If a band has differing views to me I will not respect them for it and hence lose some repect for them as people, but not necesarily as musicians. When I listen to music, like Blacksprit, I don't listen to lyrics (the music says much more to me than the best lyrics ever could); therefore the content isn't so much a problem, if I could hear the lyrics maybe it would be.

Now music with religous themes - I listen to several satanic/pagan metal bands, and several christian rock groups. As long as they approach their subject matter in a way I respect it doesn't bother me really, even if I disagree.. And I would definitely be less inclined to get the music if their views contradicted mine, but if I did, and liked the music, I would still listen.

When it comes to music that contradicts what I believe as greatly as Naziism and racism does, I would avoid the music as I would have no respect whatsoever for the artist, and it would feel like I was supporting them.. luckily I've never found such a politcally (or whatever) motivated band with music I like, so I'm fine...

At the same time however, I believe people should be able to make such music due to artistic freedom, as long as it doesn't lead to violence etc.

Hmm, its hard to decide really.. And Morgana, good for you, patriotism is understandable... but where do you draw the line between patriotism and racism? It is often blurred...

Originally posted by ~UlvedaL~
"Racism is not fear of strangers, hate, or inferiority complexes. It is a sign of spiritual health and love to oneself and ones race.."

(from thread : http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27129&pagenumber=1)

Well, about patriotism... it's not really necessary, in my eyes... it's as needless as natinalism is nowadays. It was useful in it's time (in the 19th century) but it's merely an obstacle nowadays. The thinking does not evolve as fast as our society does, it seems.

Originally posted by AnsuzAstral
Well, about patriotism... it's not really necessary, in my eyes... it's as needless as natinalism is nowadays. It was useful in it's time (in the 19th century) but it's merely an obstacle nowadays. The thinking does not evolve as fast as our society does, it seems.

It isn't a quality I respect, but I understand for many people their country/ more significantly culture is important to them...

However with the relatively modern influx of new cultures into much of Europe (the place where patriotism seems to be at its highest, along with America) I don't think it is as important as it once may have been (it's debatable it was in the first place)..

Obviously keeping one's culture alive and evolving is very important, but it really boils down to whether you consider the love of native culture, whether the people who have moved into a new country or the original inhabitants, patriotism..

Culture shouldn't have something in common with nationalism/patriotism, it's something more spiritual and from the people, and cultures mix up anyway, they ever did. The people who lived in Thüringen in the middle of Germany, had ancestors whose culture was a mix of Celtic and Norse/German culture, and German tribes adopted to Roman living and culture, too...

I don't think it's too good to just aim for preserving one's own culture, but bein open for others'...

Originally posted by Tyr
It's a very hypocritical thing to not listen to bands just because of their political orientation. Besides , do you not listen to bands like Morbid Angel etc...? Where the lyrical fundament is highly anti-religious?

HUGE difference. Race is not something chosen. Sexual orientation is not something that is chosen. Religion is chosen.

And not listening to a band like Nokturnal Mortem, and listening to Morbid Angel, isn't necessarily hypocrisy (might have been if David Vincent had gone a bit further...) because I think religion is shit. :) But I'll still listen to a band like Believer or Virgin Black because even though their message isn't one I agree with, it doesn't hurt a damn thing either.

People die because of racism. I see it all the time that people who aren't white are afraid to go to certain shows unless they are with a whole group of white power skinhead fuckers are always looking for someone to beat the shit out of at concerts. It's not abstract politics, differences in philosophy, it's a real life, flesh and blood problem. I feel horrible enough when I don't help someone getting kicked 10-on-1 (when I probably couldn't beat up anyone 1-on-1), I'm certainly not going to support in any way, shape, or form anything that supportive of these people's viewpoints.

Culture shouldn't have something in common with nationalism/patriotism, it's something more spiritual and from the people

I agree, not every-one does... patriotism is very close to the love of one's race, which can be close to patriotism ;)

and cultures mix up anyway, they ever did. The people who lived in Thüringen in the middle of Germany, had ancestors whose culture was a mix of Celtic and Norse/German culture, and German tribes adopted to Roman living and culture, too...

I don't think it's too good to just aim for preserving one's own culture, but bein open for others'...

Yes, personally I like mixes of culture, just like I like mixes of genre in music, it is very important for some though, to maintain their culture - they are proud of it and don't want it to change...

Originally posted by Jim LotFP

Religion is chosen.

Not nescessarily , for many people , religion is one of the major factors in their ethnic background. And discrimination against reliogious beliefs , are in most western countries , just as illegal as racial discrimination.

Ultima Thule is a good example for that, and there are also some bands that are called Viking Metal, too.
They are called Viking Rock I think.
Have you read thier lyrics sometime? I have and I could not find anything nazi in them.. I don't like them though, they are poor. But I think it is wrong to call bands nazis without any proof.

Originally posted by Tyr
Not nescessarily , for many people , religion is one of the major factors in their ethnic background. And discrimination against reliogious beliefs , are in most western countries , just as illegal as racial discrimination.

I disagree with discrimination laws for private individuals and private organizations.

And associating religion with an ethnic background is something that can be changed in one generation, it just requires children to be taught differently. A choice made by culture that an individual can choose to leave. The only person that I know of that can change their race is Michael Jackson.

Originally posted by Tyr
I listen to lots of music where I do not agree with the lyrical content or the political/religious orientation of the persons involved , because these topics does not nescessarily have anything to do with the musical quality.

Thanks for a wellwritten post bringing some fresh new blood
to this "story" :eek:) I have to agree with the above statement
that I quoted, and say you're right.

But! Where do we draw the line? I think I draw my line when
it comes to supporting the band's ideas. I like to use Storm
in my example since I just realized what they sing about...

Now, Storm has two songs with racial stuff in them. That's
not a lot and I would still buy their album, know what I mean?
But, if all their songs were like "Kill all black people" it first
of all would suck lyricswise (cause yeah, I am actually able
to pick up SOME of the words!!) and I do not want "propaganda".

And I will refuse going to a gig watching a band live that
shouts nazi stuff and does nazi signs. What the fuck is up
with that? I will not support it, I guess that's my point here...

While I might listen to and enjoy the music I will not walk
around and give the band any credit for their beliefs.

I don't know why I accept satanism in black metal, but I think
it's cause most of black metal used to be all about that.
Hell, now we all run around with 666, pretending to be tr00,
and all that bullshit just for fun :eek:) It's so overdone it's just
fun. It's not taken seriously, while racism is deadserious.
Catch my drift? Hehe...

You're born with a colour, your religion is somewhat "chosen" :eek:)

Edit; Typo's, oh how I love them >:eek:)

I like bands for the music. And if they are against religion or are racist/nazi... I don't mind, because what they say won't make me change my mind. Sure... I may think differently, but I agree with Tyr at this point, that whatever they think is their opinion. I don't mind if you guys don't agree with me.

But I still love all of you here at the boards! :)

I have to agree with some of the posts already made.

Usually I don't pay a lot of attention to lyrics, but if I am conscious of hearing openly racist or hateful lyrics then I stop listening to the band.

I don't care too much though about a musician's personal opinions though, if they keep them more or less to themselves (unless asked). They would lose my respect for being racist or whatever, but if I appreciate their musicianship, then that stands apart from their personality somewhat. If they keep their hate out of their music, I can appreciate the music apart from the artist.

i listen to a lot of bands with nazi or racist backgrounds 'cause i don't care, i believe that everybody is entitled to have and express their own beliefs, i don't fear brainwashing ;)