Need more stuff like Rust in Peace, Alice in Hell, or Never Neverland

WTF...I bought Master Control about two years ago for like $7. The cheapest CD copy I could find for you is $22 + $4 shipping on Music Stack. :zombie: Jesus fuck, when did this happen?

yeah, you know you're in trouble when even Sentinel Steel don't even carry it

@Ken -- will check that Mekong Delta tonight / this weekend :kickass:

I knew there was a reason I connected with this thread! From a post I apparently made in 2004:

Though there could be something in there I might like, as I do like some albums that I see classified as "thrash", like Artillery - By Inheritance or Megadeth - Rust in Peace, or the first two Annihilators. But I get the feeling that those are really at the borders of true thrash anyway.

I also mentioned Arch Enemy in similar context elsewhere in that thread.

For my complete snobbish and rage-inducing dissertation ("Thrash: the kind of music people made before they discovered how to make good music"), see http://www.tpom.com/pmboard/wwwbb_arch_msg.php?m=159915

Neil

Neil said:
Though there could be something in there I might like, as I do like some albums that I see classified as "thrash", like Artillery - By Inheritance or Megadeth - Rust in Peace, or the first two Annihilators. But I get the feeling that those are really at the borders of true thrash anyway.

:kickass: I've ALWAYS maintained this myself, hence this thread. To me, there is a difference between "speed metal" and "thrash metal" and the Artillery, Megadeth, and Annihilator releases are much closer to speed than they are thrash.

Amazingly, there's not actually that much else out there that fits this "in between" place. It's either straight up speed or straight up thrash -- which is fine, but this territory of 'threed' or 'sprash' is not too prevalent.

Also, Neil, have you heard Liege Lord's "Master Control"? I would recommend it to you.

Neil said:
All I know is that when I listen to an album like "Twisted into Form", I don't find a single thing in there that catches my interest. Certainly not in the riffs, and even not really in the melodic vocals, because I don't find the melodies to be all that great. And why listen to that, when I can listen to something like "The Jester Race" that's probably more intense and heavy, AND more melodic and catchy?

Neil, let me ask, would you like Jester Race more if it had clean'ish vocals? In other words, wouldn't it make it even more melodic and catchy?

Also, Neil, have you heard Liege Lord's "Master Control"? I would recommend it to you.

After checking out some of the stuff in this thread, I realized that while I like some of it, and I like the referenced albums I already own, I don't really have a desperate need for *more* of it. But I shall note Liege Lord for future reference if I ever change my mind.

Neil, let me ask, would you like Jester Race more if it had clean'ish vocals? In other words, wouldn't it make it even more melodic and catchy?

It's hard to say without hearing it, but yeah, there's a chance I could like it more. The challenge would be integrating vocal melodies with the guitar melodies (would they be harmonized? completely independent?); hardly anyone has ever made metal like that, so it's almost a moot question. Even the 'threed/sprash' bands basically kept their vocal and guitar melodies segregated.

Neil

Sure, read my previous posts in this thread! :loco:

I'm not holding out on you or anything, I really don't have a whole lot in this vein, because I apparently don't need a whole lot (and as we've discovered there's not a lot of it to begin with!) I hadn't previously mentioned that Artillery, but I guess that's because I was directed to it as "the closest thing to s/t & 'Stormrider'-era Iced Earth" (rarely will you find an album with more galloping riffs), and I figured Iced Earth-ish stuff wasn't really what you were looking for.

Neil

I hadn't previously mentioned that Artillery, but I guess that's because I was directed to it as "the closest thing to s/t & 'Stormrider'-era Iced Earth" (rarely will you find an album with more galloping riffs), and I figured Iced Earth-ish stuff wasn't really what you were looking for.

That said, I don't think I've ever heard Stormrider. I've only heard some of the material on my Alive in Athens 3xCD set.

Artillery also reminds me a little of Nevermore fwiw.

oh yeah, well...it didn't really click for me. :erk: I got to track #3 and decided to quit while I was ahead. But of course, this means little in the grand scheme of things. I'll just give it another spin tomorrow!

Hah..oh well perhaps he will like the post "Dances Of Death" Mekong albums (maybe "Dances Of Death" too) more. It's not a band for everyone though, keep that in mind. Btw you (and every M.D. fan...or not) should check "Deception Ignored" by Deathrow..not that the other Deathrow albums are not kicking tender butts, but this one has kinda similar riffing with M.D....and some of the most inspired guitar work in the genre.