Need- Orvam: A song for Home (aka "a F*cking Amazing Disc")

Thanks for sharing your music with us! Welcome to our community!

nice to find you all guys here...thanx for the welcome!

we got some really cool news...we finally have a proper US distribution via Laser's Edge Music so if you could spread the word over there we would really be grateful!!

here's the link to the site
https://www.lasercd.com/cd/orvam-song-home

and the quote from Ken Golden on their website :D

"Now here is a band that singlehandedly may be turning prog metal on its head and giving it a good kick in the ass at the same time.

Need is a Greek prog metal band that has been around for a bit but like most bands from that country they don't get much attention outside of their homeland. Orvam is their third album and it finds them stepping up their game quite a bit.

Orvam: A Song For Home blends a variety of influences and dishes up something completely mesmerizing. The band's musical DNA includes Fates Warning, Tool, Nevermore, and lots of prog rock. All of these influences will crop up but tossed together in a unique way. Its heavy but complex - ethereal and hypnotic. Hell the band even weaves in some Mediterranean themes revealing their real roots. Vocalist Jon V. is the anchor to the musical and he does a phenomenal job, sounding like vintage Ray Alder. I love how amid all the grinding guitar riffs the band mixes a splash of old school Hammond organ. Cap this monster off with the 18 minute title piece and you've got an instant classic. The whole production was expertly mixed by Neil Kernon and masterfully mastered by Alan Douches. BUY OR DIE!"

This band is to Fates Warning like Lethal is to Queensryche. It's a good album and probably would have been huge during those missing years in FW's history.

I can't get over how damn good this is. I enjoy every aspect of this outside of the spoken track. I just hit skip and joila! I'm into the long tune. It's borderline criminal this band doesn't have a lable outside of their homeland. This and Speaking to Stones Elements are the best albums I've heard in the 2010's. Where I've read a bunch of MEH on other boards, this one just grabs me.

Saw them live a couple of weeks ago.

You can't imagine how good the s/t song is coming out live.

Just as a side note, I really enjoyed speaking with Jon and Ravaya. they're good guys, who come across as genuine and passionate about their music. They're truly psyched for their ProgPower performance and I fully expect them to bring it. I have a sneaking suspicion that if you miss this performance, you'll have missed the performance everyone else is talking about for the rest of the weekend.

second batch of "Orvam" cd's sold out from Laser's Edge website!
third batch is on the way :)
thank you SO much everyone for your amazing response and support!

second batch of "Orvam" cd's sold out from Laser's Edge website!
third batch is on the way :)
thank you SO much everyone for your amazing response and support!

Jon, wait until you see the response you get in Atlanta in September. :worship: Can't wait for you to bring the house down! Make sure you pack some t-shirts to sell at the fest. We're a rabid bunch

"second batch sold out...third on the way..."! That's just too freakin' cool! Just another example of the PP nation helping take care of our own. NEED is part of all that now. Thanks Milton and Glenn!

"Orvam A Song for Home" is a pretty solid album, except... I've got a real problem with the sixth track "Hotel Oniro". When I listen to an album I want to hear music, not someone telling a soap opera. At least its a relatively short track.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know some people skip that one-act play, but I like it and always listen to it. I think it adds to what Orvam is. You can find other examples of this type thing, Moody Blues, Vincent Price on "Thriller", just two examples. But I understand your position here.

This year, at least for me, has been stellar. Orvam from Need is still the best one released in 2014. It'll take a near perfect album to knock this from my top slot.

thanx so much Scott!:worship:

Jon, wait until you see the response you get in Atlanta in September. Can't wait for you to bring the house down! Make sure you pack some t-shirts to sell at the fest. We're a rabid bunch

oh, we will bring it down :D
our "Orvam" shirts were also sold out a coupla weeks back and we just got a new batch so I think we'll have everything we (and you) Need hehe!

"second batch sold out...third on the way..."! That's just too freakin' cool! Just another example of the PP nation helping take care of our own. NEED is part of all that now. Thanks Milton and Glenn!

Chuck, you cant imagine how much we appreciate everybody from the PP community for spreading the word!your input on this has been so great!