Need Some Help

Garnack

New Metal Member
May 15, 2007
My friend and I have been listening to Amon Amarth we are both Norwegian and have become interested In our shared pagan heritage and our wondering if anyone knows how or were to get in contact with a large group of pagans. thanks :OMG: :headbang: :puke: :loco: :worship: :zombie: :kickass: :Spam: :danceboy: sorry but that was way to fun

Thank you Bates, you beat me to it.
Garnack, Google something like Forn Sidr or Föreningen för Forn Sed. Those are the Swedish and Danish equivalents of what you're looking for. There's a very good group called Gimle in Sweden. They can also probably lead you in the right direction. They ought to be able to put you in touch with a group. I can't think of any at the top of my head like this, since I've mostly Swedish and Danish connections. The ones I am familiar with are these Norwegian groups:

http://www.bifrost.no/
http://www.forn-sed.no/
http://www.eutopia.no/Nordic.htm

Somewhat depends on what you consider difficult and which ancestors and/or how far back you're looking. Icelandic is probably the closest modern language to Old Norse, but Swedish, Norweigan, Faroese and Danish are still fairly similar, and as modern languages, are usually a bit easier to learn just due to more resources then Old Norse, Anglo-Saxon, and the like. Not to mention it's a lot easier to find a native speaker, well, except maybe Faroese, not a whole lot of people in the Faroe Islands. ;)
Danish and Swedish are of the eastern dialect of ON, while Norweigan, Icelandic and Faroese are of the western dialect. With any luck, this should start a good argument on who's dialect is better. :p

No, cuz Blodörn and I have already decided that Norwegian and Swedish are superior to all others. Mind you, we've not decided between bokmål and nynorsk. What do you think Blodörn?
Kidding aside, Swedish and Norwegian are quite similar. Both are very difficult to learn unless you can actually find someone to tutor or teach you in person. Old Norse is a bit simpler in its grammatical structure (at least I think it is) and then it also gives you the foundations of the modern Scandinavian languages. I am with Bates, though, that the best choice is probably Icelandic. You might consider Old Saxon, too, if you're a native anglophone. If you can do ON, though, you can usually understand OS (not necessarily speak it!).

WAAAAAAAAARGH! YOU HAVE AWAKEN ME! Feel my anger puny humans!
BATES you must FRY! I hate danes! Go Norway! Swedish and Norwegian are simmular in the way that both languages own.

Hey, Boldörn, I was at the Scandinavian Midsummer thingy outside Vancouver this weekend with my Norse culture group and a couple of thousand Scandihoovians. You'd have been so proud of me - I sang the whole Swedish national anthem, both verses, on my own behalf, and the whole Norwegian one on your behalf. I didn't even know I knew how to do that...I think I impressed myself, even! I did sing the Icelandic one, too, but I ignored the Danish one on behalf of Jarl Haakon and I ignored the Finnish one on behalf of Team Sweden Hockey. Just kidding. I sang them, too, just cause I could. The difference was that I actually sang the Norwegian in Nynorsk - I don't know how to sing the Finnish and Danish ones in original languages...

I'll definitely have to lead an invasion of Norway when I invade Aarhus (sometime in the next year). My in-laws might be moving there, which would be cool, since I'll have a permanent base of operations in the area... all of my relatives still in Europe live down in the Saar, as far as I know. :|

Hey, Boldörn, I was at the Scandinavian Midsummer thingy outside Vancouver this weekend with my Norse culture group and a couple of thousand Scandihoovians. You'd have been so proud of me - I sang the whole Swedish national anthem, both verses, on my own behalf, and the whole Norwegian one on your behalf. I didn't even know I knew how to do that...

Just for me? :D

And Bates, If you try to invade us, guess who will stop you with a giant log in his arms! ME! That's who!