Never gave myself a proper introduction/misanthropic rant thread

Mephi, your hair is longer than mine, and yes that does make you more epic and give you more sexual dominance in this pack than I have, and I agree and need to pay my respects to that, but I never bashed Sneap, since I personally believe that he's just working with what people are giving him. It's just a problem of not enough artists caring anymore, because everything just boils down to dollars and cents around this industry nowadays, and you can't get away from that no matter what you're into... Sneap has been mixing since the early 90's from what I recall, and I'm sure he got his trial by fire through analog gear, I just hate kids around here who go to metalworks or trebas (local overpriced colleges that teach you how to stick your thumb up your ass while smartLive graphs the room for you) for audio engineering and then as soon as they see an ashly or brooksiren crossover, they just piss their pants and say "OH SHIT, IT'S GOT KNOBS AND BUTTONS AND NO USB OR FIREWIRE INPUTS, FUCKING RUN!!!1!"

Plenty of studios around town here with plenty decent 1-2" tape machines and analog boards charge $40/h> for studio time, and if you get the right mixer and mastering facility, it'll sound like whatever you want it to sound like. Analog recording isn't synonymous with "fuzzy 70's vinyl" or "black metal in a church crypt distortion" sound. If being ahead of the curve means that every jackass with a $1500 mac laptop, logic express, and a manual can call himself a "producer", then I'll gladly volunteer to be thrown off this boat.

and dude, just a heads up for future reference, I usually strike my posts with sarcasm towards or at the end of my brainfart(s).

Fair enough, but I'm already enough of a douche without pointing out my sarcasm and puns in posts

funny-pictures-emo-emu.jpg

Hey, don't look at me, I'm happy as a clam, I'm going to cuba on tuesday, Karmic's the one with the crying gothgirl avatar.

I never thought I'd see the day where 18 year old children who took a class on how to position mics, run cables, and turn knobs turn elitists.

The sounds we need cannot be created without breaking the bank on analog equipment. Judging by your vehement ranting against digital equipment, money is probably not an obstacle in your life. I could be wrong, as I know nothing about you but I have a feeling Mom and Dad are supporting your hobby that you take so seriously. It's quite easy to be elitist when you have nothing better to do and it's not your money you're spending.

Please tell me I'm wrong because if I'm right, your elitism is akin to an 18 year old with a Ferrari bashing on other 18 year-olds who have to ride the subway. You're an exception and most definitely not the rule.

I hope for your sake that I am completely off base and wrong, because if I'm right, that means you're just an O2 to CO2 converter, and that you should GTFO immediately.

I'm broke dude, I take the subway, the only money I'm getting right now is the chump change my bands throw at me after my live sound gigs, which is barely enough to take care of my packs of parliaments because Canadian taxes on smokes have just been rapage since the late 90's. The bottom line is, if you can't lay down a couple of grand to record a decent album, then you're not passionate enough about being an artist. That's how I see it. You can get the money from somewhere. As soon as I get outta Harris in october, I'm grabbing a full timer somewhere, and gather up enough to fly the hell on out to the UK somewhere so that I can put a band together and start writing and recording what I want to do. You of all people should know that this industry is cutthroat through and through, and you gotta have drive. The worst thing I hate about digital is the lack of human effort and drive needed to operate, manipulate, and ultimate create art with it. Operating and maintaining analog gear is fucking tough and expensive, you're right, but that gives a person a sense of responsibility and efficiency in terms of decision-making, both technical and creative. We listen to Nevermore, whose many lyrical subjects revolve around skepticism of the rapid evolution of automated machinery. Digital is taking the art out of recording and mixing, you can't deny that, and if this continues on being this way, the future of music is gonna be more bleak than it already is.

Maybe if you cut your fucking hair you'd have a job. You might consider getting one before shooting your mouth off about what other people need to do.

I'm broke dude, I take the subway, the only money I'm getting right now is the chump change my bands throw at me after my live sound gigs, which is barely enough to take care of my packs of parliaments because Canadian taxes on smokes have just been rapage since the late 90's. The bottom line is, if you can't lay down a couple of grand to record a decent album, then you're not passionate enough about being an artist. That's how I see it. You can get the money from somewhere. As soon as I get outta Harris in october, I'm grabbing a full timer somewhere, and gather up enough to fly the hell on out to the UK somewhere so that I can put a band together and start writing and recording what I want to do. You of all people should know that this industry is cutthroat through and through, and you gotta have drive. The worst thing I hate about digital is the lack of human effort and drive needed to operate, manipulate, and ultimate create art with it. Operating and maintaining analog gear is fucking tough and expensive, you're right, but that gives a person a sense of responsibility and efficiency in terms of decision-making, both technical and creative. We listen to Nevermore, whose many lyrical subjects revolve around skepticism of the rapid evolution of automated machinery. Digital is taking the art out of recording and mixing, you can't deny that, and if this continues on being this way, the future of music is gonna be more bleak than it already is.

It's nice to see you're passionate about what you believe in. That's always a good thing, even if it's a bit idealistic and naive. But you're young; you have the rest of your life to become jaded like the rest of us. You'll soon discover that your passion won't be so important when you move out on your own, pay your own way in life. Being hungry is much worse than being frustrated because you can't buy a Moog. There's a difference between passion and starvation.

I'm with you on the whole people not being passionate about making music anymore...I've been trying to get this thing off the ground for over 2 years and I can't even find people with enough dedication to assemble a live setup, much less record everything. That's why we've decided to just make it our own project, just me and him, live as well.

I also enjoy the "purity", for lack of a better word, of analog. However, I share no faith in the human race; I don't believe we have a higher calling and we have no destiny, except to suck the life force out of everything we come into contact with. I'm all about taking the next step, shedding this disease we call humanity and technology is the way...at least in my opinion. The less human we can be, the more perfect we can be.

Maybe that's also why I don't feel threatened by technology, even in music. I'm all about the next big step and I want to take full advantage of it. I have no patience for looking back. It sounds a bit far-fetched and melodramatic, but it ties in with my point of view.