Nevermore Vs..........iced Earth

Pyrus said:
Not bad. Busy with college apps, getting really fucking sick of politics, but not as angsty as usual. How's shit with you?

been doin good. IOther than the fucking THORN thats stuck between the skin adn the upper side of my finger nail. Im gonna have to go to the hospital im afraid to get this thing out. I just cant get it. I wraped a rubber band around my finger, really tight, to stop/slow the blood flow, and hacked at it with a razor. Just cant get back far enough to get it out. I pretty much pushed it further in. ITs in a bad spot.

SOrry about the rant. Lots has happed since i haqve been here on a regular basis.

REally busy with work, band, etc etc. New pc, new hardware.......

take care, good to see you guys are keeping the trhead alive. ......

LEON

Dear Lord,

Being my first post an all I would just like to say this topic has been drug out a while. Apparently the debate between Iced Earth and Nevermore started out with some good counter opinions and then degraded quickly into a senseless arguement over the posters errors in the arguement. Enough about that BS. Let's get to the real issue, Nevermore vs. Iced Earth.

Musically I would agree that Iced Earth's songs are a bit staler than Nevermores. Iced Earth's riffage over the years has been fairly uncreative and heavily layered in simple but fast tripplets used excessively as far as rhythm goes. In the early days with Randy Shawver on lead; the lead work indeed ruled. During the Shawver records the lead work and song writing were up there. Horrow Show is dry and it showcases the obvious truth that you can only manipulate the same riffs over and over for so many records adding a not here or taking out a triplet there. The compositions are also becoming simplier and less involved musically. While the band works together with Matt Barlow definately being their best vocalist ever, sadly he is out of the picture. Richard Christy on drums rules, defiantely an insane bastard. Larry Tarnowski on lead may just be filling the role of lead guitarist for the sake of having lead guitar. Gotta have lead guitar for a metal band I say this becasue his work may be good but not very creative. That being said, great band, some great songs along the way most noteably Stormrider, Traveler in Stygian, Dante's Inferno, The Something Wicked Trilogy, Angels Holocaust, Iced Earth, and many other good songs.

Nevermore's sound has been more creative and musically redeeming in both riffage and lead work. The band as a whole is musical perfection, with the guitars, drums and vocals all putting in top quality performances. Van on drums owns up with killer technical skill and creative ideas. Jim puts even more low end and some weird harmonics to the music always adding to the sound. Warrels vocals can be intricate and personal yet he crafts them so well that they extent out to the listener quite well. The songs have always been a blend of technical proficiency and simplicity, though some of Loomis's licks are repetative in the shredding, as a shredder this is not all to uncommon to get into a groove with some runs that sound awesome; however, what he does do beyond being insanely quick is most excellent along with the whole band.

Both bands exhert flawless exicution of their styles, both Jeff and Jon are awesome rhythm guitarists. Jon obviously is not a Lead guitarists so comparing him to Jeff in that respect is a waste of time. Jeff Compared to Randy is a bit more doable. Both great players, and both creative with their work it's obvious that they both care to craft original solos and melodies that work with the songs. In the end it's a toss up, I suppose it's up to you whether or not who the better guitar player is as that might affect your opinion over the music and the bands. Personally I find Jeff more interesting to listen to and able to pull off insane technical guitar stuff within the music.

Whatever the case as bands, they are both great and their unique styles have set them up for greatness. They have had about the same number of releases, both keeping strong roots in their respective sounds. The point is they both are good at doing what they do. Iced Earth is good at being Iced Earth. Nevermore is good at being Nevermore. They both have style and have finetuned their sounds to the necessary perfection that really the only thing that could make a difference is who is in the band. Obviously Iced Earth has had more trouble with this than Nevermore. Just like Megadeth with Chris Poland and then Marty Friedman and then John Pattrelli were all quite different in the end so too is Iced Earth. Nevermore not having this problem with changing memebrs other than say a permenant second guitar player they have managed to pull it off because one man writes all the music more or less. With exception to Dreaming Neon Black and Politics of Ecstacy. In the end I like the varied sound of Nevermore to Iced Earth, they are still as bands very elite.

That's my short essay on the matter....

ATGuitar_NInja said:
Dear Lord,

Being my first post an all I would just like to say this topic has been drug out a while. Apparently the debate between Iced Earth and Nevermore started out with some good counter opinions and then degraded quickly into a senseless arguement over the posters errors in the arguement. Enough about that BS. Let's get to the real issue, Nevermore vs. Iced Earth.

Musically I would agree that Iced Earth's songs are a bit staler than Nevermores. Iced Earth's riffage over the years has been fairly uncreative and heavily layered in simple but fast tripplets used excessively as far as rhythm goes. In the early days with Randy Shawver on lead; the lead work indeed ruled. During the Shawver records the lead work and song writing were up there. Horrow Show is dry and it showcases the obvious truth that you can only manipulate the same riffs over and over for so many records adding a not here or taking out a triplet there. The compositions are also becoming simplier and less involved musically. While the band works together with Matt Barlow definately being their best vocalist ever, sadly he is out of the picture. Richard Christy on drums rules, defiantely an insane bastard. Larry Tarnowski on lead may just be filling the role of lead guitarist for the sake of having lead guitar. Gotta have lead guitar for a metal band I say this becasue his work may be good but not very creative. That being said, great band, some great songs along the way most noteably Stormrider, Traveler in Stygian, Dante's Inferno, The Something Wicked Trilogy, Angels Holocaust, Iced Earth, and many other good songs.

Nevermore's sound has been more creative and musically redeeming in both riffage and lead work. The band as a whole is musical perfection, with the guitars, drums and vocals all putting in top quality performances. Van on drums owns up with killer technical skill and creative ideas. Jim puts even more low end and some weird harmonics to the music always adding to the sound. Warrels vocals can be intricate and personal yet he crafts them so well that they extent out to the listener quite well. The songs have always been a blend of technical proficiency and simplicity, though some of Loomis's licks are repetative in the shredding, as a shredder this is not all to uncommon to get into a groove with some runs that sound awesome; however, what he does do beyond being insanely quick is most excellent along with the whole band.

Both bands exhert flawless exicution of their styles, both Jeff and Jon are awesome rhythm guitarists. Jon obviously is not a Lead guitarists so comparing him to Jeff in that respect is a waste of time. Jeff Compared to Randy is a bit more doable. Both great players, and both creative with their work it's obvious that they both care to craft original solos and melodies that work with the songs. In the end it's a toss up, I suppose it's up to you whether or not who the better guitar player is as that might affect your opinion over the music and the bands. Personally I find Jeff more interesting to listen to and able to pull off insane technical guitar stuff within the music.

Whatever the case as bands, they are both great and their unique styles have set them up for greatness. They have had about the same number of releases, both keeping strong roots in their respective sounds. The point is they both are good at doing what they do. Iced Earth is good at being Iced Earth. Nevermore is good at being Nevermore. They both have style and have finetuned their sounds to the necessary perfection that really the only thing that could make a difference is who is in the band. Obviously Iced Earth has had more trouble with this than Nevermore. Just like Megadeth with Chris Poland and then Marty Friedman and then John Pattrelli were all quite different in the end so too is Iced Earth. Nevermore not having this problem with changing memebrs other than say a permenant second guitar player they have managed to pull it off because one man writes all the music more or less. With exception to Dreaming Neon Black and Politics of Ecstacy. In the end I like the varied sound of Nevermore to Iced Earth, they are still as bands very elite.

That's my short essay on the matter....

Very well said. Well done i say.

some of teh forst posts on this thread were just fooling around. I was pulling the flame out of ppl. And it worked.

but as i said, WELL DONE with your essay.