NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

Daniel: " COB studio report in the current issue of Metal Hammer. "

d858e2dabf.jpg

"Are the Finnish Metal veteran revealing a softer side for album#10?"

Softer, more “rock’n’ roll”, yet still in drop B tuning, with more neoclassical? What is this clusterfuck? I’m both very interested, but also very confused.

Reactions: grenade007
On Heidi Vornan's ig story was something about jewelry going to a band photoshoot, and Daniel had the same jewelry on in his ig story. Seems they were taking promos today?

It’s annoying how poor the band are at engaging with there fans online etc. Especially when they ask us “what do you guys want to see from the studio?” Instead we have to Sherlock Holmes and connect bracelets to a promo shoot

Pretty sad indeed. I think they should hire someone to do this job if they aren't willing to do it themselves, but at least do something... You just finished recording a new album and the mastering is almost done as well... No promoting it? Really?!

They are the same age as my parents, I'm not expecting them to use social media that much. :D Just happened to notice that bracelet thing.

But it is a little strange, they're all like "we are trying to learn it!! we have to adjust to this internet thing!!" and then nothing. Like I get not wanting to share your morning jog like everyone these days but band related stuff?

Last edited:
I really really hope it's in the contract with Nuclear Blast that they can't hiss anything about the new material before strategy allows.

Last edited:
They are the same age as my parents, I'm not expecting them to use social media that much. :D Just happened to notice that bracelet thing.

But it is a little strange, they're all like "we are trying to learn it!! we have to adjust to this internet thing!!" and then nothing. Like I get not wanting to share your morning jog like everyone these days but band related stuff?
Yea, it would be nice to find out around when we can expect the new album to be released... and this whole rocknroll thing has me worried and yet, curious. Yes, I'd prefer the neoclassical and more melodic stuff to come back but I really wonder what exactly Alexi means by this rocknroll thing :yow:

Yea, it would be nice to find out around when we can expect the new album to be released... and this whole rocknroll thing has me worried and yet, curious. Yes, I'd prefer the neoclassical and more melodic stuff to come back but I really wonder what exactly Alexi means by this rocknroll thing :yow:

I was thinking that the other day and it's not necessarily a bad thing. It could mean it's straightforward, but not because they lacked ideas but because they wanted the songs to be catchy by repeating the main ideas a lot. Listen to a song like Ain't Talking 'Bout Love. Or say Pentagram Burns by Satyricon. In these sorts of cases it works. Fact is Bodom has never gained the praise they deserve, because their songs are full of different hooks which come and pass without the inexperienced listener being able to fathom it. I don't mind it if it still works, but I Worship Chaos was not challenging and rich enough for ears that were already enjoying Bodom. What we know so far is Alexi was afraid it would blow, but it turned out better than he thought.

I'm very curious to see the artwork, songlist and album title. Then I think we'll hear one single this summer, which will answer all questions about the musical style...

I really don't understand these mixed messages about "Hatebreeder resemblance" and "simple rock'n'roll".

Btw, if we talk about rock'n'roll in terms of vibe then I think Children of Decadence is strongest in that, just endless headbanging from start to finish like a bullet train. But I don't expect to hear anything as intricate, melodic and rich as that song. Well, You're Better Off Dead is obviously very rockish, but I don't really count that as a serious COB song.

I think in terms of lifting themselves back in the big game the best thing COB could do now is do that purple album with Hatebreeder riffing and memorable melody coarsing thru the songs, sort of back to before they got lost, but how does the simplicity fit into it... What I'm most afraid of is if the album turns out not dark at all.

Last edited:
I was thinking that the other day and it's not necessarily a bad thing. It could mean it's straightforward, but not because they lacked ideas but because they wanted the songs to be catchy by repeating the main ideas a lot. Listen to a song like Ain't Talking 'Bout Love. Or say Pentagram Burns by Satyricon. In these sorts of cases it works. Fact is Bodom has never gained the praise they deserve, because their songs are full of different hooks which come and pass without the inexperienced listener being able to fathom it. I don't mind it if it still works, but I Worship Chaos was not challenging and rich enough for ears that were already enjoying Bodom. What we know so far is Alexi was afraid it would blow, but it turned out better than he thought.

My take on this is that COB isn't capable of producing catchy vocals because Alexi isn't a good singer. That's why more people gravitate to the other albums because the lead playing makes up for that. Usually when I listen to Hatebreeder or FTR I'm humming along with the the melodies. New albums don't really have strong lead melodies to carry a song and so people are looking for the catchyness in the vocals, which aren't good.

I've always said Alexi's music writing peaked when his jackson's got stolen purely because of the tone. That setup he had with his Jackson and the lee marshall preamp or whatever was such a creamy orgasmic lead sound. It begs you to play leads on it. I think since he went to EMG his tone was never the same and when your tone can CHUG CHUG it's really hard to resist the urge to fuckin CHUGA CHUGGA and play leads. Therefore, in my opinion, whichever asshole robbed Alexi of those guitars also robbed the world of more epic COB albums.

Hm, never thought about it like that. It's true, if the Jackson setup had such different sound, then the thief probably is to blame for the change in their style, to a degree.

Alexi has managed some nice vocal performances along the years, but they're now stuck to a standard. Obviously his black metalish vocals were great when he could do them, but that stopped come 2000. But the vocals also depend on the lyrics, the songwriting and the soundworld. Like I've said the last few albums they should do less vocals for the albums now and focus more on music and make sure the vocal sections are good. There's too much vocals on the new material. When they're scarce, they may actually sound good, but when they're everywhere...

Reactions: COB-666
Hatebreeder has a rock vibe (not as much as FTR, but it’s there). RRF was also very rock ‘n roll though at times.

Come on Bodom boys, give us something to go off of here!

I've always said Alexi's music writing peaked when his jackson's got stolen purely because of the tone. That setup he had with his Jackson and the lee marshall preamp or whatever was such a creamy orgasmic lead sound. It begs you to play leads on it. I think since he went to EMG his tone was never the same and when your tone can CHUG CHUG it's really hard to resist the urge to fuckin CHUGA CHUGGA and play leads. Therefore, in my opinion, whichever asshole robbed Alexi of those guitars also robbed the world of more epic COB albums.

I thought the same thing although I bet he would of moved to ESP or somewhere similar purely for who gave him the highest endorsement money like a lot of artists do unfortunately.

Yeah and maybe it's a defense mechanism cos it's hard to accept Alexi's musical taste changed.

Well, I'm pretty sure this album will be better than IWC and RRF, given the references to Hatebreeder, neo-classical melodies and purple artwork... a few years ago people would've wet their pants for these hints. Of course now we know Halo of Blood was described as "between 2nd and 3rd album" so we know to take it with a pinch of salt. That album is still the best that came after Blooddrunk.

But what goes to the rock'n'roll thing, there's been many flashes of great rock licks along the last years. Pat Benatar cover, Local Band, Knuckleduster remake, 100 guitars from hell track, etc, it might actually work as it seems Alexi's getting kicks from that stuff. And rock is great at its best. As long as it doesn't mean shit like RRF and Hold My Tongue.

Alexi's current vocals would blend with the rock guitar sound naturally. Thing about rock is, it can be really great or it can sound like a cheap garage punk band. Let's hope for the best.

What worries me is stripping out small nyances. Even years and years after repeating old Bodom songs you still find details that drop your jaw and you need to enjoy the magic of some 1-2 second clip for a hundred replays, like the song Follow the Reaper for example. That richness is what makes the songs eternal. Just want to remind that... Still, I would be very happy with a rock-influenced Bodom album if it turns out epic. I'm a huge sucker for 80's rock when it's epic. But naturally Bodom fans are bound to dream about a sequel to the green and blue album.

Last edited:
Reactions: COB-666