NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

Yeah, "uninspired" is the word for this. Starting at 2:03 things improve slightly. Still, not much stands out here. The video is actually better than most lyric videos.

While my initial impression was not great after a 4 or 5 listens it started to grow on me. Overall I like this track but I agree with the general sentiment. It's not necessarily one of their weaker songs, feels like it would fit in Halo Of Blood. One thing that bothered me was that something about this mix sounded muddy, is that just me? Really like the solo at the end though. Other than that it was solid.

Yeah, "uninspired" is the word for this. Starting at 2:03 things improve slightly. Still, not much stands out here. The video is actually better than most lyric videos.
The video? lol, I'd say its probably the cheapest, cringiest AE stock footage lyric video edit that Nuclear blast has put out in a while. Nothings tops WT's Ice Queen, but that's another topic.

Trust me, you can create hypnotic songs that demand replay, using minimal riffs / sections. It comes down to creating a deep feeling. Take Burzum's Dunkelheit for one example. For me songs like This Road are more about the guitarist's technical display than actual art. Then again I dislike most thrash.

Not a bad song but doesn't have any stand out moments imo- I actually really like Under Glass and Clover same as Morrigan but usually the first 1 released is the catchier song on the album recently (melodic guitar wise)

While not necessarily a "bad" song, "This Road" doesn't feel like CoB song. For me it's lacking energy, that punch of epicness which makes me want to replay those songs. Both singles imo have been average, my expectations are not high, but let's hope rest of the album packs that punch for kick ass album.

Reactions: rj rl
While not necessarily a "bad" song, "This Road" doesn't feel like CoB song. For me it's lacking energy, that punch of epicness which makes me want to replay those songs. Both singles imo have been average, my expectations are not high, but let's hope rest of the album packs that punch for kick ass album.
Well, at least Knuckleduster kicks ass. I like the new singles, but as COB-songs they're really mediocre.

The new Knuckleduster duration is 5:41, so it's over two minutes longer than the original.

There is no 1 minute song on the album, despite what the band said.

Unless there's a hidden intro for Knuckleduster, explaining both mysteries.

Reactions: COB-666
One thing that bothered me was that something about this mix sounded muddy, is that just me?

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. The mix is awful.

Another thing. This is the album's first song. Usually first songs tend to be much better than this.

" Frontman, guitarist, and mastermind Alexi Laiho comments: "'This Road' was actually the last song I wrote but it ended up being the opening track and also one of the singles which makes me happy cos it's one of my faves. It's different from anything we've done since Follow The Reaper" but it's still new. Check it out and you'll know what i mean." "

http://metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=35191

" Frontman, guitarist, and mastermind Alexi Laiho comments: "'This Road' was actually the last song I wrote but it ended up being the opening track and also one of the singles which makes me happy cos it's one of my faves. It's different from anything we've done since Follow The Reaper" but it's still new. Check it out and you'll know what i mean." "

http://metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=35191
Funny how hard it seems to analyze your own music. It sounds like something from HOB with the guitar tone of IWC, nothing to do with FTR.

"It's different from anything we've done since Follow The Reaper but it's still new. Check it out and you'll know what i mean."
I dunno what you mean Alexi. Or was that the standard bit where an artist says "I think it's our strongest album to date. Very fast, agressive, back to the roots, blah blah blah". It's a meme at this point.

"This Road" My review :

After Several listen of this new single "This Road" i have to say it's really a masterpiece. Very progressive song with some catchy parts and stands easily to Bodom standards. This song is a mixture of HCDR attitude and Sinergy old gold days in general.
The song's structure is very progressive starting with a fast riff intro blown in your face which is good.
Second Riff 0:25 reminds sinergy "the fourth world" verses
Pre chorus 1:19 reminds "Alexi Laiho - Sioux city Sarsaparilla" and "Paul gilbert - technical difficulties"
Chorus 1:41 : this as a very HC ish part with a very beautifull lead guitar runs (reminds Sinergy)
Interlude 2:03 : this reminds instantally Trashy parts of Hatebreeder album (Black Widow & Wrath within). This interlude takes the song is another time signature
keyboard solo : no comment about Janne's warman. its sick as usuall. the final notes that brings the song to original tempo is just fabuleous
Guitar Solo : this is one of the best alexi laiho solo in years. reminds also Sinergy - I spit on your grave.

Global note for this song : 8/10

Yeah, I also remembered Sioux City Sarsaparilla. There's no time signature change at 2:03, sadly, not even a tempo change. And I honestly don't hear anything progressive in this song. What do you mean by the term?

Yeah, I also remembered Sioux City Sarsaparilla. There's no time signature change at 2:03, sadly, not even a tempo change. And I honestly don't hear anything progressive in this song. What do you mean by the term?
i mean from triplet to standard 4/4

What the heck... One song at the time? With the first two being the singles everyone already listened to??? Come on guys, you can do better than this marketing-wise....
Let's hope we get at least a bit more of each song in this format...