New band suggestion plz open to anything

Some good death metal - Miseration, Unmoored, Belphegor, Nile, Kataklysm (new album isn't very good though in my opinion), Scar Symmetry, Dark Tranquillity, and plenty more. There's also pandora.com, which is good for finding new bands.

everyone ive ever known does. even if they hate metal, they love opeth. its a great thing. although, of course, not EVERYONE does. generally speaking though, if youre looking to branch out into heavier metal,opeth is something to listen to. just because they bridge the gap between brutality and melody. a broader audience appreciates their music. and even if you dont end up liking them, there are elements youll probably like and branch out from there. i kind of figured youd get what i mean, but its cool. i have trouble stating exactly what i mean sometimes. lol although IMHO, they are essential.

everyone ive ever known does. even if they hate metal, they love opeth. its a great thing. although, of course, not EVERYONE does. generally speaking though, if youre looking to branch out into heavier metal,opeth is something to listen to. just because they bridge the gap between brutality and melody. a broader audience appreciates their music. and even if you dont end up liking them, there are elements youll probably like and branch out from there. i kind of figured youd get what i mean, but its cool. i have trouble stating exactly what i mean sometimes. lol although IMHO, they are essential.

But then you realize that Opeth can't write songs and really have no significance in metal.

But then you realize that Opeth can't write songs and really have no significance in metal.

Actually id say their song writting is very well thought out and and even more impressivley executed. Even though some might get lost in their technicality and progression, they still have the "catchy" factor that keeps things interesting. And, I'd say they have a lot of significance in metal. Each member is a master of what they do, and furthermore, has in more than one way contributed to the metal scene. Fuck, they currently have Martin Axenrot(Witchery)on drums! And Mikael... he has done soo much. So many collaberations and projects.

I think I should do my patriotic duty and recommend some South African Metal bands that will get you headbanging.

Search for:
Sacrifist, Warthane, Chromium, Erebus, Architecture of Aggression, Agro, Empery and offcourse my band in my signature :)

Hope there's some tunes from these bands that you like :headbang:

I'm kinda new to diggin hard into the metal scene because I try to listen to every genre I can get my hands on. Currently listening for awhile to SOAD, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera, CoB, Sepultura, Anthrax, BLS, Buckethead, Testament, thats the jist of it but I'm looking for any bands you could recommend from thrash to death metal,NO Hair Metal! I'm not extremely into music with screaming vocals, I enjoy powerful vocals more, but I don't mind so any bands would be great. I listen to everything because of the love of music so just throw some names out their I could use some help because top ten charts and the radio sure as hell aren't gona help me discover new music that I like.

well considering you have a bunch of classic thrash bands listed there I would recommend early Kreator.

Opeth

The disjointed songs thing is true in some cases but other than that I've never actually heard a legitimate criticism. TBH though very few metal bands that stray from the typical 4 minute song formula are good song writers so it's a really dumb criticism in the first place.

Other criticisms I've heard from frequent posters on GMD are that their lyrics/vocals are somehow gay - and yet we're expected to pass off all the excessively retarded gore lyrics of the entire brutal death genre as lyrical genius? And then we get comments like "All their albums are the same" which is literally about as true as saying all of Bathory's albums are the same or something. Seriously, when I want to bash a band and call all their fans faggots, I listen to the music first..

Now I'm gonna get flamed and dubbed a "noob" because the Opeth-hater population on this board just happens to be the group with the high post counts so I'm really messin' with the big kids here.

The disjointed songs thing is true in some cases but other than that I've never actually heard a legitimate criticism. TBH though very few metal bands that stray from the typical 4 minute song formula are good song writers so it's a really dumb criticism in the first place.

i'm not sure any other band in the history of music is as compositionally inept as opeth, especially on the earlier albums. i agree that the other criticisms are pretty stupid though.

i'm not sure any other band in the history of music is as compositionally inept as opeth, especially on the earlier albums. i agree that the other criticisms are pretty stupid though.

Meh, that still only applies on a few especially disjointed songs like Black Rose Immortal or The Twilight is My Robe. Imo most of their songs, even some of the earlier ones like The Night and the Silent Water, are fine. And as for the most disjointed songs, if you really like the individual parts you'll begin to appreciate the songs as the random riff fests they are.

And as for the most disjointed songs, if you really like the individual parts you'll begin to appreciate the songs as the random riff fests they are.

the quality of a 'part' depends primarily on its relationship to the whole. throw together a riff from war pigs, a riff from master of puppets, a riff from the trooper and a riff from transilvanian hunger and you'll get a bad song by nearly anybody's standards. but with less obvious stuff like opeth, it becomes less and less possible to like these things in isolation with experience, because you're more and more aware of overall flow, momentum, direction, the building of tension and release, internal logic; the things which constitute the overall mood. i mean i still like some opeth riffs that don't have any relationship to the stuff around them, but it's like reading a well written poetic monologue shoved in the middle of a goosebumps book - it's too jarring and purposeless to be genuinely powerful in that context.

for the record i'm an ex-opeth fanboy so i know what it's like to love this band and to think their every move is gold. but then i also used to think the offspring were the deepest band in existence... it's one of those things that i genuinely believe, based on my own experiences, people move away from as they naturally develop a critical ear.