NEW BEHEMOTH

well, after hearing most of you guys talking about the mix not meeting the expectations i'm starting to get REAL curious about this one.

if you go back a couple of pages in this thread you'll see all the people (including myself) rave (and rightly so!) about how this will be one of the best sounding metal releases ever, seeing how "allstar" the production lineup is/was...i mean, come on, bergstrand on drums, hertz studios for guitars, colin richardson mixing....sounds great doesn't it?

due to this it's even more surprising (almost shocking lol) to read all the comments above...stuff like "it's like the blackening" etc.....not exactly a landmark album (sonically) as far i'm concerned, and i'm sure most of you would agree right there.

seeing how well their last two albums (even though preference between those is highly subjective of course) worked out with bergstrand being in charge, and the reputation of the hertz studio guys when it comes to plain CRUSHING heavy guitar tone (decapitated comes to mind, amongst others), it does seem sort of obvious where the "weakest link" in the chain of this recording lies...sort of.

once again, i haven't heared the album yet (as it's not officially released....DUH!), so i'm basing this solely on the posts in this thread.....and i gotta say, i'm really fucking surprised. after all, colin knows his shit - he's the guy who did carcass heartwork, BFMV (still has a great production despite of the music's quality...or lack thereof...), or even cannibal corpse bloodthirst which is great imho.....so, let me ask one question to the guys who already listened to evangelion.....WTF do you think went wrong?

Yeah, I hear you and ever since I heard this leaked version, I've been wondering if this really honestly is the fully mastered version of the release, I have a hard time seeing behemoth releasing tracks with clipping, however, the myspace track also is kind of strange mixed(Not clipping, thinking of the lack of bass), and that afterall is an official release. This really bugs me out. I'm looking forward to the lyrics of this though :) Nergal is the shitz with the pencill!

Other than that, I for one reaaaally enjoy this album, finally the "Wall of voices" sound of Nergal is back and you will surely grab on to stuff to prevent the massive force that is Nergals voice to blow you away!

Fragle, the only thing I've heard by Colin recently was Devildriver's "The Fury of Our Maker's Hand", and I find the production on that to be utterly "bleh" to be honest, so I was always kinda apprehensive about him being at the helm for the mixing of this! :erk:

Well if you watch the last video, Nergal is sitting in with Colin on the mix. I would say he had an idea on how he wanted the guitars to sound,afterall he is somewhat of a control freak. And to me the guitars sound similar to the Apostasy , which I think are kinda buzzy and thin. So it does not matter who mixes it, if Nergal has a say he's gonna get what he wants. I still prefer the Recto/5150,xxx from demigod by far. The drums are rockin on this one for sure

Not sure if The Apostasy guitars can be called thin, but they do have this sterile grind that's rather unpleasant.

A few days later with the new record and all I can say is I LOVE 'Shemhamforash'. It is one of the most aurally offensive pieces of music I've ever heard. The way he strains that lead vocal line out is amazing. Nergal has got to be one of the best vocalists in the extreme metal genre. 1:45 of that track.. as it transitions back into the blast on the ride... holy shit. This track is the 'Slaves Shall Serve' of this album. I've always found Behemoth to be best on the fastest, most extreme tracks. I can't imagine how awesome these tracks would sound with Demigod style production..

I've always found Behemoth to be best on the fastest, most extreme tracks.

+1 The title track on Demigod is so god damn brutal! Though I do like some of the slower stuff too, like As Above, So Below. I'm still not sure whether to check this out or not, even when it comes out, I have to say I never really enjoyed The Apostasy, so I'm dubious about liking this new album. Their style on Demigod and Zos Kia Cultus is much more to my liking.

Nah, I love damn near everything Behemoth has done recently, but honestly, if I had to pick ones I don't like quite as much, it's some of the raw, fast ones (e.g. I've never liked Prometherion, definitely my least favorite on "The Apostasy", whereas every slow groover I think fucking crushes)

I'm pretty sure "The Seed of I" is my favorite song as of now; perfect groove/speed balance, and a really heavy riff (though it also highlights how scratchy and unpleasant the lead guitars sound, and the rhythms not much better :Smug: )

so, since it's officially out now, i went ahead and bought it.

can't say a whole lot about it as far as die music is concerned....it seems to be more technical and complex than the apostasy, or even demigod. apostasy was pretty much like hit play, rock out for me....with the new one it's more like you got to LISTEN and really try to grasp what they're doing there.
of course, there's stuff like the seed of i, which is a KILLER track.

now, regarding the mix....tbh, it's not as bad as people claimed! not at all actually. sure, a way different flavour than their previous two, but i personally can neither hear scratchy nasally guitars, nor a lack of bass.
actually, what i'm hearing and what i can read here is so different from each other, that i assume the leaked version has a different (worse) sound than the actual album. good thing to stop piracy, haha.
of course, maybe my taste in tone is just way different than yours.....

all things aside, it doesn't kick me in the butt as much as the apostasy (fucked mastering aside)....apostasy had a very raw vibe that fit's behemoths music perfectly imho, whereas evangelion is very produced sounding. but then again, with all those people taking care of even the smallest things, things were never supposed to sound raw for this one. and for the produced sound they were after, things are sounding really good. it's just not the kinda behemoth sound people are used to, which might also throw a few people off.

Fuck yes.

This is a goddamned Behemoth album, and if you need to question anything after that observation then you should probably shove your hands down your pants and make sure your balls haven't jumped out of your sack out of embarrassment.

Jeff

I agree here. I god damn love this album, probably as much as Demigod and The Apostasy!

Transmigrating Beyond the Realms Ov the Amenti has one of the coolest chorus riffs ever with that sick octave harmony!