NEW BEHEMOTH

^ Well I think that much is obvious in that the Behemoth mix is almost identical to 'The Blackening', sans the being mastered hotter and being a bit clearer and punchier.

Everyone has their own take on this but to me, imprinting one's own sound over each band is the cardinal sin of mix engineering. It homogenizes the artists, and only serves to aid the mix engineer by consolidating their 'trademark sound' which ensures repeat clientele. Half the battle is working out which sound world that particular band belong in. Where is the challenge and appreciation in using cookie-cutter, go-to methods that obviously don't work for the band in question? It's actually ridiculous to me just how much the Demigod production pisses on Evangelion simply in terms of being more suitable to the artist. I'm almost inclined to say I like the horrid production on The Apostasy better because it's at the very least more suited!

I think one thing that's commonly forgotten in the modern era is that there are qualities to a production that go beyond being clean and slick. Those two qualities don't make an album timeless. In most cases they date it.

Honestly when I listen to Evangelion it feels to me like Machine Head went for a lunch break and Behemoth stepped in and tracked the rest of the album. The fact that it's so ill-fitting makes it incredibly difficult for me to enjoy the album musically, and that's probably what angers me most. When the engineering gets IN THE WAY of good songwriting because it doesn't evoke the correct soundworld. Honestly it seems like a waste to have had so many big names on the record. Next time they should just do the entire thing with Bergstrand, or finance Nordstrom to track and mix the record, analogue style and recapture some of that timeless fatness.

Sorry for the rant, and I know many of you will disagree. I just feel strongly about this. I get no joy from seeing guys in this profession going through the motions. It's soulless, and one of the many things that are wrong with the industry, IMO.

PS. Honestly, who's idea was it to have those fizzy rhythm guitars on this record? Surely the Hertz guys must have captured something that pissed on this tone? What happened to the 6 tracks, rectifiers etc.? This isn't Behemoth.

PS. Honestly, who's idea was it to have those fizzy rhythm guitars on this record? Surely the Hertz guys must have captured something that pissed on this tone? What happened to the 6 tracks, rectifiers etc.? This isn't Behemoth.

Well I think we've already answered that question, assuming once again that Colin did in fact re-amp! (I'm being cautious to totally believe that, just cuz I don't exactly know where the source of said info is). And I can't say I feel quite as strongly as you Ermz, but then again, I've never heard the Blackening, so if the similarity is as big as you say, then it'd probably irk me even more!

I want to know too

^ Well I think that much is obvious in that the Behemoth mix is almost identical to 'The Blackening', sans the being mastered hotter and being a bit clearer and punchier.

Everyone has their own take on this but to me, imprinting one's own sound over each band is the cardinal sin of mix engineering. It homogenizes the artists, and only serves to aid the mix engineer by consolidating their 'trademark sound' which ensures repeat clientele. Half the battle is working out which sound world that particular band belong in. Where is the challenge and appreciation in using cookie-cutter, go-to methods that obviously don't work for the band in question? It's actually ridiculous to me just how much the Demigod production pisses on Evangelion simply in terms of being more suitable to the artist. I'm almost inclined to say I like the horrid production on The Apostasy better because it's at the very least more suited!

I think one thing that's commonly forgotten in the modern era is that there are qualities to a production that go beyond being clean and slick. Those two qualities don't make an album timeless. In most cases they date it.

Honestly when I listen to Evangelion it feels to me like Machine Head went for a lunch break and Behemoth stepped in and tracked the rest of the album. The fact that it's so ill-fitting makes it incredibly difficult for me to enjoy the album musically, and that's probably what angers me most. When the engineering gets IN THE WAY of good songwriting because it doesn't evoke the correct soundworld. Honestly it seems like a waste to have had so many big names on the record. Next time they should just do the entire thing with Bergstrand, or finance Nordstrom to track and mix the record, analogue style and recapture some of that timeless fatness.

Sorry for the rant, and I know many of you will disagree. I just feel strongly about this. I get no joy from seeing guys in this profession going through the motions. It's soulless, and one of the many things that are wrong with the industry, IMO.

OMG. You took the words off my mouth. :guh:

(I hope I translated the expression correctly haha)

I haven't heard the record yet, but based on the feedback in this thread, I expect that I will agree with this above, unfortunately.

Is anyone else's copy clipping ridiculously?

Nope, not really here!

EDIT: Actually, I take that back - whenever there are those epic tom things, I feel like I can hear a bit of distortion setting in, but it's more subtle than on "The Apostasy"; that said, in every other way I find "The Apostasy" aurally superior! :(

+1 to everything you said. Especially the quote in bold.

I'm quite interested to hear Nergals opinion on this.

EDIT: lol "this" being the final outcome of the album that is.

Wouldn't it be interesting if this was a honeypot mix to track where the leak came from?
Over hyping a record makes for a big let down.

i can hear some epic clipping at the weirdest times
parts where there's ONLY distorted guitars, no specific transients to pick out for clipping, just what is basically a solid block waveform
apart from that it seems pretty clean as far as clipping goes
every time i listen to this i am less impressed production wise
tracks 4 through 6 bore me too D:

parts where there's ONLY distorted guitars, no specific transients to pick out

Tell-tale sign of a TC Finalizer, IIRC.

I love the album, musically... still not sold on the mix. It's clear, defined, has balls, sounds pretty big, toms clip like a motherfucker.

But, like Ermz mentioned, it sounds exactly like The Blackening. Only without the shitty songwriting. :hotjump:

i can hear some epic clipping at the weirdest times
parts where there's ONLY distorted guitars, no specific transients to pick out for clipping, just what is basically a solid block waveform
apart from that it seems pretty clean as far as clipping goes
every time i listen to this i am less impressed production wise
tracks 4 through 6 bore me too D:

Yeah...I really notice it the most during the "quieter" parts of the album.

Musically, some of this is really good. A lot of it beats out Demigod, IMO. Shemhamforash is an insane track. That verse gets me going apeshit. It's kind of like listening to Behemoth crossed with Annihilation of the Wicked. Nergal's vox are as offensive as ever.

well, after hearing most of you guys talking about the mix not meeting the expectations i'm starting to get REAL curious about this one.

if you go back a couple of pages in this thread you'll see all the people (including myself) rave (and rightly so!) about how this will be one of the best sounding metal releases ever, seeing how "allstar" the production lineup is/was...i mean, come on, bergstrand on drums, hertz studios for guitars, colin richardson mixing....sounds great doesn't it?

due to this it's even more surprising (almost shocking lol) to read all the comments above...stuff like "it's like the blackening" etc.....not exactly a landmark album (sonically) as far i'm concerned, and i'm sure most of you would agree right there.

seeing how well their last two albums (even though preference between those is highly subjective of course) worked out with bergstrand being in charge, and the reputation of the hertz studio guys when it comes to plain CRUSHING heavy guitar tone (decapitated comes to mind, amongst others), it does seem sort of obvious where the "weakest link" in the chain of this recording lies...sort of.

once again, i haven't heared the album yet (as it's not officially released....DUH!), so i'm basing this solely on the posts in this thread.....and i gotta say, i'm really fucking surprised. after all, colin knows his shit - he's the guy who did carcass heartwork, BFMV (still has a great production despite of the music's quality...or lack thereof...), or even cannibal corpse bloodthirst which is great imho.....so, let me ask one question to the guys who already listened to evangelion.....WTF do you think went wrong?