new CD's.......

Evil is Forever or Astralism, IMO. Though the first song I ever heard from them was Cloudbreaker, off their first album (I think?)... And I was hooked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI3fxDMcVV8

Their lead singer's voice is just awesome, for some reason. :worship:

I hear their newer albums are bad, but haven't gotten that far...

check out Wuthering Heighs and the past few Lions Share...same singer. both great stuff

The following are rocking my ass this week:
SEVEN WITCHES - CALL UPON THE WICKED(straight ahead classic US metal, possibly their best!)

AMORPHIS - BEGINNING OF TIMES(I haven't been keeping up with them once Pasi left, but boy is this the way melodic dark metal should be played. Lots of hooks)

Disappointment of the year:
HELL - HUMAN REMAINS(Sorry, this isn't the same HELL who recorded the amazing SAVE US FROM THOSE WHO WOULD SAVE US single, which is a NWOBHM classic. WAY too polished for this type of music, and just because it is on Nuc Blast does not mean every song has to have piped in samples.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The following are rocking my ass this week:
SEVEN WITCHES - CALL UPON THE WICKED(straight ahead classic US metal, possibly their best!)

AMORPHIS - BEGINNING OF TIMES(I haven't been keeping up with them once Pasi left, but boy is this the way melodic dark metal should be played. Lots of hooks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y47xX85cVEY

I tried listening to that Seven Witches. I couldn't stand it. Probably due to the vocalist.

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Jason, you really need to check out the previous three Amorphis albums. While I like the new one a lot, the previous three are superior.

Seven Witches dont do anything for me. Stuff that Jason usually raves about is never to my liking. I will check some out on youtube later tonight.

The HELL disc is one of the biggest disappointments of the year. Even the bonus disc was not that good.

Fair enough.
I like high range US vocalists, and Bob doesn't.
No big deal.

Not sure Simon how you can say you don't like Seven Witches vocals. That is James Rivera on vox, you know, the guy from that band HELSTAR you claim to be a big fan of??? :)

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Jason, you really need to check out the previous three Amorphis albums. While I like the new one a lot, the previous three are superior.

Yeah, not sure I like it enough to go and get previous ones, considering all the other stuff which came out recently I still need to check out. I have heard good things about it, I just haven't checked it out personally.

Aren't Abattoir Canadian????

Yeah, there are tons of good US high range vocalists.

Umm, seriously though Bob...............
You say the singers I listed above come from bands who write generic music, and fire back with Twisted Tower Dire and Cage???

I like both those bands too man, but come on.......... LOL!

Aren't Abattoir Canadian????

Yeah, there are tons of good US high range vocalists.

You say the singers I listed above come from bands who write generic music, and fire back with Twisted Tower Dire and Cage???

Abattoir are from LA.

Not sure Simon how you can say you don't like Seven Witches vocals. That is James Rivera on vox, you know, the guy from that band HELSTAR you claim to be a big fan of??? :)

I think I may be confusing it with another band as I just listened to a couple off the new album and liked it. Not as good as Helstar though. Speaking of which, I won't profess to be a diehard fan of Helstar but I do really like the three albums I have of theirs. With the talk of them coming to Chicago I did make a purchase of the new one. Don't know what delayed me on that actually. I may have to pick up Seven Witches though.

I had to chuckle at that comment too...at least in terms of Cage as I've only listened to a couple of tracks off the new Twisted Tower Dire disc. At least in terms of the "generic" tag. I can understand not liking some singers that are somewhat similar as vocalists are a weird thing. Some appeal to me and yet others who are similar, don't grab me.

Also, to save me from making a new topic (since odds are at this point I'm not going to write a review; suffice it to say a good time was had and the bands kicked ass, even if I only had heard of maybe 1/3 of them going into it)... Days of the Doom Fest swag/merch haul (the CDs I know I already talked about):

263589_666408130915_31404079_35522957_4574716_n.jpg

267481_682531858835_31404079_35561978_2712130_n.jpg

Finally got around to listening to all of the CDs; some killer stuff in there. The new Argus and the Sinister Realm albums are especially badass. Except the "Shooting Chemlock" sampler is pretty... Well, meh.

got a copy ( CD Burn ) of

Witch Cross - Fit For Fight - this is super out of print. Hells Headbangers is going to release a 3 LP set this year. No CD version though. This thing is amazing from start to finish. I have listened to it like crazy all week.

Hammer - Contract With Hell
Blacksmith - Strike While The Iron Is Hot
Heavy Load - Death Or Glory
Pharoh - Ten years EP
Oz - Roll The Dice
Dealer - First Strike
Salem - In The Beginning 2 CD Set
Heavy Metal Obscurities:NWOBHM years vol 1 - Traitors Gate / Warrior plus 5 more.