New DEATH ANGEL

MYT

May 27, 2009
Any of you guys heard it yet? Looking forward to hearing it. New DEATH ANGEL and ACCEPT released on the same day:headbang:

The title of the album and artwork are very compelling. I haven't listened to it but have high hopes indeed.

Bumping this one out as the album has leaked and I just finished listening to it.

It's a mixed bag, have some definitive thrash songs but also have weird stuff as 'Claws In So Deep' a 7:44 tune with voice collaborations and an extended acoustic outro that goes progressive (yap), and serves as an intro actually to the most DA song of the album IMO, 'Truce'. Also there's the acoustic ballad (yap), 'Volcanic' that despite the name is nice but far from heavy. The opener 'Relentless Revolution' sins of a heavily triggered drumming (present in some other songs) that feels more like Euro-power metal than thrash.
Besides these points the band sounds alright, it still a DA album in many ways and if it's not going to make the top ten of 2010 I'm sure fans of the band will like it.

I'll check it out but the last 2 didn't do much for me. The Art of Dying was OK for what it was, I guess. I always thought the fact that these guys were "family" was the coolest thing and now that a couple of them are gone - especially Andy - they seem to have lost a little of the magic they had. They will never top Act III, but nothing wrong with trying...

I say then that you will not like the new one as TAOD is their best album IMO, way better than "Act III" for my money.

After a second listening, my favorite tune will be 'I Chose The Sky' but my early impressions haven't change, the album is kind of mixed but still a heavy metal one

I say then that you will not like the new one as TAOD is their best album IMO, way better than "Act III" for my money.

What did you think of Killing Season, Wyvern? I quite liked Sonic Beatdown and Dethroned.

Only just gave the new album a download, will probably listen to later today.

Wyvy and I were talking about the album at diner last night...this is the first DA I really dig after Act III:lol:

I love the lineup change, I dig this new drummer way even more and the band sounds tighter. Heavier songs and better hooks. Good effort but not on the level of Heathen or other thrash releases yet, IMO :)

The only other thrash release I am waiting for now it's the Omega Wave :headbang:

What did you think of Killing Season, Wyvern? I quite liked Sonic Beatdown and Dethroned.

Me too, but that's most of it. KS lacks the freshness of the comeback and lies somewhere between TUV and FTTP. Actually I would have took KS and the new one, weed the fillers and have one good album.

I'm going to have to agree. Some of the new songs just sound plain weird.

Claws was just a fucking nightmare for me. It was almost like they went Metalcore. Volcanic... like you said wasn't very Volcanic at all. I think I saw an interview with them where they said that this album they just wanted to play what they wanted regardless of what the Metal scene thought... but really?! Who wants acoustic on a Metal album? Should've been like a bootleg single or something. Where They Lay was very average too...

As for the better songs on the album... for me it was:
River of Rapture
Absence Of Light
Death Of The Meek
Relentless Revolution

I think it's pretty good,some strange parts as has been said but it still sounds like DEATH ANGEL.

My copy arrived yesterday. After a throughly listening my mind hadn't changed radically from my previous posts.

The album wrecks basically at the mix-up songs and the excess of fillers IMO. 'Claws In So Deep' works except for the unnecesary outro, 'Truce', 'River Of Rapture', 'Where They Live' and 'I Chose The Sky' (the best song) keep the album barely afloat, but tracks 4,6-9, 11 are just making space without a significative contribution

Just heard "Claws In So Deep" today. I'm gonna have to pick this up. If it's anything like their last two cds I'll be happy.