New Decapitated Song.

Carrier Flux said:
saying a mid-scooped sound is more processed is kind of silly. different amps, in fact the SAME amp in different settings can give you vastly different levels of midranged sound. take my rectifier recording pre for instance...in "vintage voicing" there's a huge midboost over the "modern" voicing. if I record in "modern" I don't need to scoop the mids at all, if in fact that's the sound I'm going for.
silly, eh? well pardon me for voicing an opinion based on 19 years of touring and recording experience and 11 years of engineering.

my point was quite simply that scooping a guitar sound with EQ is, in fact, processing... eq is processing , period. i understand implicity that different amps have different mid range characteristics... as i may have mentioned, i wasn't born yesterday. any amp that has a signifcantly scooped mid range inherently is utterly useless unless it has other modes that don't exhibit that characteristic. i also don't believe that mid range only contributes to clarity if the player is good, as you stated in your post.... that was a silly statement, if you ask me.

So, for the record, i am not a fan of "scooped" guitar tones. i like my midreange, thank you very much.

for purposes of clarity, as i've learned people love to think they are internet empaths on here, i am not upset.... just somewhat taken aback.

James Murphy said:
silly, eh? well pardon me for voicing an opinion based on 19 years of touring and recording experience and 11 years of engineering.

my point was quite simply that scooping a guitar sound with EQ is, in fact, processing... eq is processing , period. i understand implicity that different amps have different mid range characteristics... as i may have mentioned, i wasn't born yesterday. any amp that has a signifciantly scooped mid range inherently is utterly useless unless it has other modes that don't exhibit that characteristic. i also don't beieve that mid range only contributes to clarity if the player is good, as you stated in your post.... that was a silly statement, if you ask me.
first off, fair enough in your explanation...I was taking your initial statement differently than you intended it. It originally looked to me like you were making a statement of absolutes to the effect of "if there's a midscoop in your guitar tone, it's been heavily processed". I see what you mean now though.

and I didn't mean to imply that midrange frequencies only enhance clarity when you have a good player, of course if the player is bad clarity still exists, but to the detriment of the listener ;)

btw james, I really appreciate your presence in the internet world, so please don't take my comments as if I were a know-it-all berating your opinions.

Carrier Flux said:
first off, fair enough in your explanation...I was taking your initial statement differently than you intended it. It originally looked to me like you were making a statement of absolutes to the effect of "if there's a midscoop in your guitar tone, it's been heavily processed". I see what you mean now though.

and I didn't mean to imply that midrange frequencies only enhance clarity when you have a good player, of course if the player is bad clarity still exists, but to the detriment of the listener ;)
ok, cool... all good, sounds like we are actually on the same page then. in my case though, if a player is that bad i would likely just take the guitar and play the parts myself. ;)

James Murphy said:
ok, cool... all good, sounds like we are actually on the same page then. in my case though, if a player is that bad i would likely just take the guitar and play the parts myself. ;)
I've heard of other producers/AE's actually doing this as well. or something akin to it: if the musician does a poor job on a part and the AE still has their gear set up, they might go in and fix the part themself when the band has gone home. heh..

shit, if you were tracking my album I'd let you play all my parts. (ok maybe not my dirty man-parts, but my guitar parts yes). *snicker*

Carrier Flux said:
I've heard of other producers/AE's actually doing this as well. or something akin to it: if the musician does a poor job on a part and the AE still has their gear set up, they might go in and fix the part themself when the band has gone home. heh.
funny... one very famous rock bassist, who shall remain nameless, that i tracked on two different albums in the 90's had a very interesting way of dealing with his tracking difficulities (he was quite sloppy and had shockingly poor timing, especially when drunk... which was always)... he would get up, after having managed to lay down very little in the way of usable takes over a couple hours, and say something like, "ok james, i'm going to get going... i'll just leave my bass plugged in and leaning here against the chair, and perhaps tomorrow when i come in my parts will sound much better to us, ok?" Then he would leave and i would re-cut whatever he hadn't done well enough, which was most of it, and when he came in the next day we would just move right away to the next songs without reviewing the day before's work at all.... and the process would start again.

don't bother trying to guess who it was, as i will neither confirm nor deny any such guesses.

Don't be silly. we all know who that was!
Jaco.jpg

"These were worsened by heavy drug and alcohol use. There are dozens of anecdotes and stories about his outlandish behavior and eccentricities, though some were just highly exaggerated. His musical performances also suffered as a result. During this time period he played in various solo acts and many night clubs in Fort Lauderdale and New York City. He fell out of public favor and became an outcast in the music business. In 1987, he was beaten into a coma after an altercation with a bouncer at the Midnight Club in Fort Lauderdale. He suffered irreversible brain damage and died on September 21 of that year. Miles Davis honored the late bassist in his Amandla album with the Marcus Miller composition "Mr. Pastorius."

jao died in the late 80's.james said that he recorded with person in the 90's.you might be wrong or I might be wrong.

mindfull said:
jao died in the late 80's.james said that he recorded with person in the 90's.you might be wrong or I might be wrong.
I'm pretty sure it was a joke, since many people consider jaco to be the best bassist to ever live...

Seizure. said:
steve Digiorgio!!!:loco:
first, i said don't bother guessing. second, even though i said i would neither confirm nor deny, this guess was just so obviously NOT correct that i'll go ahead and deny it outright. and again i say: it was a ROCK bassist(and obviously not a good one), derp:erk:. steve is known as an excellent metal bassist. i will not respond to any more guesses... tough.:Smug:

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
i think he was kidding
ya think? .. lol... well, i'm not thick so the "!!!:loco:" clued me to that. i just still felt iike saying what i said anyway... for clarity, if nothing else.
:D

hehehhe...

yeah, steve's awesome, Individual Thought patterns was the first "Metal" album i got and it still is the one i play regularly just because of the awesome bassplaying.
it's also pretty prominent in the mix.. Good thing they did!!

From what I've commonly heard, guys like Steve DiGiorgio or Sean Malone (ex-Cynic) are a nightmare to mix because they think that bass is a lead instrument (which is cool) and want it very loud (and I mean : it's never loud enough for them... hence rule number 1 while mixing a band : never EVER listen to the bass player), while the whole song is lacking of low end (which is the primary use for the bass).