New Dragonforce due in August

In fact, I would like to see MORE metal appear on Guitar Hero, Rock Star, Sing Star, etc...

Cool.

Consider DragonForce's presence on Guitar Hero to be a gateway, then. Like it or not, they have raised awareness of speedy power metal Out There.
Y'know, the same 'Out There' that doesn't give two shits about the types of bands who play ProgPower, and won't give them a column millimeter of press coverage or two seconds of attention on screen.

--The same 'Out There' that has suddenly sat up and taken note of an incredibly fast, catchy metal band on Guitar Hero.

As the saying goes, "A rising tide lifts all boats."

If metal can be brought back more into the mainstream -- yes, even if it's by DragonForce appearing in Guitar Hero -- then maybe, just maybe, the artists we know and like can actually get some of the credit (and cash) they deserve for their talent.

and then we, the devout, can turn our collective backs on them crying about how they sold out.

Unless I missed a post somewhere in this thread, I don't believe anyone here accused them of selling out. People here, myself included, have indicated we don't like DragonForce because they are sloppy, boring, redundant, etc...but "sell out" hasn't entered into the vocabulary. In fact, I think a GOOD metal band deserves any popularity they gain.

Unfortunately, I don't believe DragonForce is a good metal band. They're just a sloppy bunch of players who cover up their weaknesses with speed. It works out well enough on studio albums, but fails to translate well live. In short, they don't deserve the recognition they have recieved. The only reason they got this recognition is because they were seen as an amusing novelty to the Ozzfest crowd. And, like any fad, they will soon fall out of the public eye.

This will leave the few, the "devout" as you call yourself, as their fanbase. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing...*shrugs* that, like every sentiment expressed in this thread, is a matter of opinion.

In short, they don't deserve the recognition they have recieved. The only reason they got this recognition is because they were seen as an amusing novelty to the Ozzfest crowd. And, like any fad, they will soon fall out of the public eye.

The fact is they DO deserve the recognition because they've succeeded in many areas where most other metal bands have woefully failed. They've gotten their music to a larger audience, they've established a reputation for putting on an entertaining show, they play on festivals or on bills that increase their fanbase, and they don't take 5-6 yrs between albums. There's more but perhaps you get the picture.

The fact is they DO deserve the recognition because they've succeeded in many areas where most other metal bands have woefully failed.
1.They've gotten their music to a larger audience,
2.they've established a reputation for putting on an entertaining show,
3. they play on festivals or on bills that increase their fanbase,
4. and they don't take 5-6 yrs between albums.

I've numbered your points for ease of response:

1. thanks to Ozzfest and others in the mainstream business who found them to be an amusing novelty.
2. Yes, they jump on trampolines and play fast. Showboating is a poor replacement for true skill, which they lack.
3. See #1.
4. Quality over quantity, and DF has the latter, but not the former.

Gee Rocky, I didn't realize you were such a devoted DragonForce fan.

Jesus Christ - if jumping to conclusions or jumping the bandwagon were Olympic events, some of you would be taking the fucking gold metal here!

I'll admit that I did see Dragon Force live at Jaxx a couple of years ago, and thought it was a fun show. Hell, I even was sharing drinks with Sam and Herman, as well as the keyboardist later that evening after the show and thought how cool these guys were. Probably ending up being a very rare thing that I managed to get to do. Yes, I remember listening to these guys back in the glory days of MP3.com (I still have some of those old tracks that I've downloaded from there some 10+ years ago on my server).

Yes, the music is formulaic, and they may be sloppy on some of their live shows, but I still enjoyed them. At the same time, there are indeed many bands that I've enjoyed much more, such as Sonata Arctica, but still.

I'll probably still go and pickup this new album, if not to at least keep my collection complete, despite the admittedly stupid name and probably same-ol-same-ol sounding music. Still a fun listen, though, in my opinion.

I've numbered your points for ease of response:

1. thanks to Ozzfest and others in the mainstream business who found them to be an amusing novelty.
2. Yes, they jump on trampolines and play fast. Showboating is a poor replacement for true skill, which they lack.
3. See #1.
4. Quality over quantity, and DF has the latter, but not the former.

Gee Rocky, I didn't realize you were such a devoted DragonForce fan.

1. Thanks to Ozzfest? Perhaps, but only because it's just common sense that most any band achieving success must do it with the help of others.
2. Where in any post has anyone implied trampolines and playing fast is a replacement for skill. Furthermore, outside of you own opinion, your comments regarding their "lack of skill" carries no merit.
3. Quality over quantity is again, an opinion.

So what we've got here are a few opinions, and based on them, you have determined that Dragonforce is not deserving of their recognition and success. But, I'm sure you could give us all a laundry list of much more qualified bands who truly are deserving, right?

Edit: And it's not that I'm such a devoted DF fan, far from it. It's more that I can't stand reading the constant/predictable spewing of garbage from haters/non-fans such as yourself. Most just seem jealous that "they're" favorite and thus, more deserving bands don't receive the same recognition.

So what we've got here are a few opinions, and based on them, you have determined that Dragonforce is not deserving of their recognition and success. But, I'm sure you could give us all a laundry list of much more qualified bands who truly are deserving, right?

Everything you have said, not just this particular quote, I can easily turn back on you, and we can go back and forth all day (when not working, anyway.) You also stated your "few opinions" and based on them, you have determined that DragonForce IS deserving of success and recognitiion. *eyeroll*

We could go on and on, but as I said, this is, after all, a matter of opinion on both sides. But I can refute your so-called "facts" all day just as much as I'm sure you'd continue to try and refute mine. It's not hard to see where this is going.

@shaq: :lol:

You prefer quantity over quality? How sad.

What's sad is how threads like this routinely attract the poorest examples of tolerance and acceptance for others' preferences in music.

In fact, start any thread on this forum about DF and it's like instant fly paper. All the same people simply cannot resist stopping by to make the same tired comments. That's sad.

In short, they don't deserve the recognition they have recieved.

Because surely a band who gets on any major festival and tours basically all year long trying to promote their albums/band doesn't deserve any respect they get. You are incredibly ridiculous. You dont like them beacuse they played Ozzfest, but WAIT, they played Wacken AND Graspop before Ozzfest. Have you listened to the previous band, Demoniac? They played black metal fast too, I think it's the style they prefer, is that wrong? That he wants to play fast? Why the fuck can't he? Who cares if he's sloppy live? It's not like he's so ridiculously bad(from what I have ever seen on YouTube) or live where I am unaware of what song is actually being played. The fact that the band probaly has the best stage show out of any band, and you merely put that off as because they cant play their music they cover it by having a good stage show, you're such an incredibly negative nancy and tbqh none of your posts lead me to believe you hate them because they're mainstream.

They were perfect when I saw them play live. They were also very nice to all of us after the show and took plenty of time to pose for pics, sign autographs,and just chat with all of us after the gig. I couldn't ask anything more of these guys.

Once again I'll just point to this thread. This was immediately after PPUSA VI, prior to DragonForce breaking big in the summer of 2006. Contrast that with this thread, which was posted in the Fall of 2006.

It is interesting the difference in tone between this thread, and all threads regarding DragonForce after they gained popularity. That thread happens to contain this gem:
I'm considering attending Ozzfest, there's some good 4 bands that I'd wanna see, Dragonforce being the main one.

I'm happy and pissed at the same time. It's one of those thoughts "But... they're OUR band, not THEIR band".

Fuck, I'm a fan since they were on mp3.com under the name of Dragonheart. Still not ready to see them "making it" big.

DragonForce was also on their way up prior to Ozzfest, not because of Ozzfest. Don't take my word for it:

You have to give Roadrunner credit here. They noted the type of crowd they drew in the States (young hot-topicers) and how well the tour went without a proper domestic release or even any hype/advertisment on a national level. They have really stepped up to the plate when you consider the buy-on fee for Ozzfest.

Plus, Dragonforce really is that popular.

Glenn H.

I agree 100% with EVERYTHING Rocky has stated in this thread. Sounds like a lot of jealousy over their success.

Its funny actually, considering DF never changed their sound or did anything to "break big", "sell out", etc....

It happens every few years or so where an underground band of any genre gets opportunities to break big. DF played killer live shows and toured their butts off. They are certainly deserving.

For those who say, "There are more deserving bands!!" Well, maybe that is true. No one, not even the band themself, would say DF are the best power metal band in the underground and deserve it more than others. Call it right place, right time, or whatever. It is what it is......

What I don't understand is how the majority of you who slam DF could support a band like EDGUY who have tried VERY hard the past couple of years to go the more "cock rock" route. I bet if they broke it big instead of DF, you would be saying the same things. Furthermore, I think the whole "sell out" cries would be more applicable in that case due to the altering of their sound.

Dragonforce: They're not good at everything, but what they're good at, they're very, very, very good at.
Dragonforce is very similar to Iron Savior in terms of song repetition, lets face it, and I don't see the hate extended that way.

I agree 100% with EVERYTHING Rocky has stated in this thread. Sounds like a lot of jealousy over their success.

Its funny actually, considering DF never changed their sound or did anything to "break big", "sell out", etc....

It happens every few years or so where an underground band of any genre gets opportunities to break big. DF played killer live shows and toured their butts off. They are certainly deserving.

For those who say, "There are more deserving bands!!" Well, maybe that is true. No one, not even the band themself, would say DF are the best power metal band in the underground and deserve it more than others. Call it right place, right time, or whatever. It is what it is......

What I don't understand is how the majority of you who slam DF could support a band like EDGUY who have tried VERY hard the past couple of years to go the more "cock rock" route. I bet if they broke it big instead of DF, you would be saying the same things. Furthermore, I think the whole "sell out" cries would be more applicable in that case due to the altering of their sound.
Amen, Jasonic! Great points!:headbang: