New DT Album

No. In fact, I almost feel bad for DT having to compete with a prog metal release in the same month that totally bulldozed theirs.

It sounds like a step in the right direction, but it's not amazing, not yet. But it's the first time that DT has beaten SX as contemporaries.

It's really bad. No memorable melodies, verses or choruses throughout the album. Bridges in the Sky is the worst song I've heard from them. What moron decided it would be a good thing to put those noises on an album. I mean I listen to Mr Bungle, and noises can be (in that case) weird and funny, but in DT it doesn't work at all. It's just bland. They should have taken this opportunity to spice things up.

Iconoclast is better.

"standing on the back of angels, dicks up my ass, lalalala"
vs
"RISE OF THE ONE!!!! THE DARK ICONOCLAST!!!
Forgin a cuuult of feaar WITH LEGIONS UNSURPASSED!!!"

Jeez, a few jaded Symphony X fan boys in this thread - it's their best since Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence hands down! All great tracks bar build me up break me down, which is ok, but sounds like something from elements of persuasion... Benieth the surface is the best ballad they have written in years.

And if you're refferring to the new opeth postulate, thats great too - although i hope the departure from the growling/metal guitar tone to this new jazz/prog tone isnt perminent!

^I personally find the new Anathema to be the best one of the bunch. Heritage didn't makes as big an impact as most of Opeth's previous stuff, but it's still "good". Iconoclast is on the same level pretty much.

And the new DT? Maybe I should listen to it for the sake of having an opinion on it. We'll see if I have the patience.

Only randomly heard one song from it yet, it was kinda cool but also kinda slow moving. Need to check out the whole thing soon.

Weird thing is that most Anathema fans seem to be hating it.

E: Okay so I listened to the first 3 songs of the new Dream Theater. And hey! It sounds like your stereotypical Dream Theater album! What a surprise! It has James Labrie singing like James Labrie does. It has John Petrucci playing guitar like John Petrucci. It has Jordan Rudess playing the keyboards like Jordan Rudess. It has Mike Portnoy playing drums like Mike Por - wait... Well, someone playing drums like Mike Portnoy anyway. Oh, and John Myung was probably there playing something too.

Oh ffs. The fourth song is the cheesy ballad they do on every album done again.

In conclusion. Fans of their recent output will surely like this. For the rest of us: It's an another Dream Theater album. What did you expect?

Nonsense.

Heritage > Iconoclast > The new DT

The new Anathema album is also awesome, I'd put it next to Heritage.
I would put Heritage first, too, but I think that's a bland album as well. Opeth just don't write very well, and I'm sick to death of the faux-vintage thing. 1970 happened people, yes - now let's move on, 40 years later.

Now, the Arch/Matheos album is something special, I think, and blows the rest of these out of the water.

I would put Heritage first, too, but I think that's a bland album as well. Opeth just don't write very well, and I'm sick to death of the faux-vintage thing. 1970 happened people, yes - now let's move on, 40 years later.

Now, the Arch/Matheos album is something special, I think, and blows the rest of these out of the water.

Yeah I actually read about that being something really good earlier today. Will check.

To me the new dt is just bland and forgettable. There's some good moments here and there, but they are overran completely by sudden outbursts of forced wankery. Plus I can't stand the ballad, it's plain awful. Cheesy and horrid.

Heritage. Well, it's definitely not bad. But as I see it, it's like the leftovers from Damnation. They better go brutal on their next one!

Arch/Matheos. The songs are good, but I greatly dislike Arch as a vocalist. Can anyone be more nasal than LaBrie? This is the guy. They could quite aswell record someone stepping on a cat's tail.

New Redemption can still be pretty good, and I need to check that Anathema too.

To me the new dt is just bland and forgettable. There's some good moments here and there, but they are overran completely by sudden outbursts of forced wankery. Plus I can't stand the ballad, it's plain awful. Cheesy and horrid.

Heritage. Well, it's definitely not bad. But as I see it, it's like the leftovers from Damnation. They better go brutal on their next one!

Arch/Matheos. The songs are good, but I greatly dislike Arch as a vocalist. Can anyone be more nasal than LaBrie? This is the guy. They could quite aswell record someone stepping on a cat's tail.

New Redemption can still be pretty good, and I need to check that Anathema too.

I don't agree that Heritage sounds like Damnation leftovers as there's a lot of that rock thing going on, which Damnation had none of. Damnation, however, is indeed the better album.

Listened to the Arch/Matheos and agree with you completely. Awful vocals that sound strained all the time, which irks the hell out of me.

In fact, I'm surprised myself about saying this, but Cynthesis - DeEvolution is STILL the best prog metal album of 2011. A throughout solid release with great vocals and atmosphere.

For me it's just amazing without the fucking. They could really let one ballad go, but I just can't tell wich one, maybe the third.

I guess the better thing was James Labrie singing in the middle range, but it wasn't a surprise since every review already said that. And WTF is that Dani Filthish growl on the second song? That's new for him, it's digital or did someone shocked his balls? Anyway I liked it, cause it was discrete (looks at portnoy with anger >8-|)

Overall It's their best since 8varium, maybe 6doit but I have to listen to it some more. Definitely better than the last two. They could relaunch the better songs on these and maybe we could call it an album.

Build Me Up brake Me down begins a little lame, but further more we see that it could have been a better song, based on some nice parts in the second half. They've been doing this nu metal stuff since 8varium, I guess someone needs to tell Petrucci this kind of song isn't the Hype between metal youngsters these days. But it fits better than Portnoy's lame "evil" metal attempts.

The rest is pretty awesome, Lost Not Forgotten totally kicks ass, for me it's as better as Illusions. Their weakest besides the ballads and the "nu one" is Bridges in the sky.

For the wankery, it could be worked better, they put too much effort on higher pitch unisons when they should also make it more plural and diverse, but it's a nice return to crazyness anyway.

Last but not least, I expected more for the drumming, and I disliked Mangini's hi-hat sounding, but everytime I listen to the four 10min+ songs I hear something different that I hadn't catch before, like different rythms, but It's very subtle stuff. If he develop that with the band, not trying to sound like meshuggah he will probably top or even pass portnoy's drumming.

Really looking forward to 2013 more than 20.. 20.. wait, is the new SX site Divine-Wings themed? What the heck...

:lol: I'm with all the people bashing it, to be honest.

When people say an album is a "grower", that's another way of saying euphemistically "I decided to find things to like about this awful album that made a bad first impression. These things I found to like help me feel better about the money I wasted on it."

edit: also, fuck the "new" Anathema. I give up on that band until they produce a real NEW album that isn't simply applying the "Anathema filter VST" to all of their previous hits. Hindsight was pretty cool, okay. We're here because we're Here, okay, you had half an album of new songs that were already released on EPs anyway... and now, this. Wake up Anathema and make new music. You're in danger of being included in a DT thread. Oh, wait...

and ANOTHER edit: Redemption's only listenable output is their debut. The rest is a Fates Warning cover band.

I greatly dislike Arch as a vocalist. Can anyone be more nasal than LaBrie? This is the guy. They could quite aswell record someone stepping on a cat's tail.
:(

Also, I didn't know Redemption was releasing a new album! Oh boy!

I have never been a fan of Arch. I just don't like much about his voice, so I passed on getting this album. I heard bits and pieces, and the music sounded good, but couldn't stomach the vocals. I love Fates Warning, too.