new gear day - some problems though!

as for the stereo vs mono thing, i actually recorded in mono, but reaper rendered the file to stereo due to me being too dumb to change it to mono :D

well, i'll try and download another DI and reamp that one.

guitarhack, i boosted the fader level to +21,6db for these files, and while it did work, i guess that's not how it's supposed to be.

regarding the master volume, as i said i already disabled the master volume (which is cranked anyways) for all outputs and manually cranked the volume on output 3 (the one i sent to the reamper).....
guess i'll have to double check, as it seems like i must have accidentally fucked up some setting or so....

But what's the problem? That the reamps done with your DI's are quiet? Or that the DI's are quiet?
Because the way to record is:
- guitar -> DI box -> audio interface
- preamp level setting (look at the meter in reaper, play hard and find the pot level where the meter peaks at -5/-3 dB
- record the track
Reamp:
- send the DI track to an output (for example output 3) ...... it was here my problem. My interface volume controlled all the outputs levels so out3 was quiet because my volume was low.
- Interface output -> reamp box -> amp (possibly with a short cable)

So, if your DI's are quiet, you have only to raise your preamp level.
If your reamp are quiet or undegained, the problem is that you have to raise the level of the signal between interface and amp (don't know if your reamp box has a level pot...I have it cranked on my redeye).
The master knob setting is in the M-Audio Panel - Settings - Master volume knob (I checked it only for out 1-2).
I don't crank the output 3 of the amp but I set it to 0 (no change).

well, the problem is that the DI tracks are ridiculously low in level once they reach the amp, resulting in a very undergained sound.

the pro RMP has a level pot which is cranked all the way. other than that, there's nothing between the interface and the amp.
anyways, i just downloaded some of metaltastic DI's, i'll go and check whether these are working better than mine.
i'll also go and double check (and note down) the settings in the m-audio control panel.

stay tuned :)
and thanks a bunch!

I was having a similar problem with my Redeye, but I fixed it by disengaging a practically hidden pad in the device. That fixed the problem. I would take the reamp box out of the equation and see if the Profire direct to amp has any gain problems. If it does, then you can eliminate the RMP from the list of possible problems, and if the problem is gone, well, you know where to look!

alright.

first things first, the problem didn't disappear when using third party (namely metaltastic's) DI tracks.

when i plugged the profire right into the amp (w/o the pro rmp), i was getting decent saturation with the output on the profire control panel to default (=cranked), and the track volume in reaper around -5db or so. i also got a lot of background noise and stuff.
when i plugged the reamper back in, the volume dropped to what i described above....btw, i also get the noise when running the reamper, but engaging the ground lift takes care of that. there's no change in output volume when compared to ground lift off btw (just like it should be obviously).
i was under the impression that one has to use a reamper in order to compensate for the too hot signal coming out of the interface (also the resistance issue of course).....but to me it seems like the signal strength on the profire output is just about right, maybe a tad too hot (5db as i said above), but when using the reamper i'm getting way too low signal level??

well...maybe it's a stupid question:

could it appear because i'm using an unbalanced ts->xlr cable to connect from the profire to the pro rmp?

maybe the sigal just isn't transmitted properly? after all, i'm also a LOT of background hiss (ground loop?) when the ground lift on the rmp is not engaged..?

you have to use a balanced jack->xlr. But when I had my problem I tried to use a normal instrument cable (in another input of my redeye) but it didn't solve the problem.
And the interface's output have a line level...you can't drive and amp with a line level (and it's so noisy)

you can't drive and amp with a line level (and it's so noisy)

Yes, you can... FF400 output -> marshall VS100 -> mic's -> FF400 input

http://www.myspace.com/winterlunium

If he doesn't get anything near an ok sound just going from line out directly into the amp - The audio interface is not giving the right level signal.

EDIT: ... Maybe this is different with a 5150 .. in that case I'll shutup ... My VS100 did not mind the line-level at all, though...

as i mentioned above, without the reamper, straight line out -> amp, i'm getting a decent signal level (about 5db too hot when compared to a guitar actually), so i'd rule out the interface tbh....

Yes, you can... FF400 output -> marshall VS100 -> mic's -> FF400 input

http://www.myspace.com/winterlunium

If he doesn't get anything near an ok sound just going from line out directly into the amp - The audio interface is not giving the right level signal.

EDIT: ... Maybe this is different with a 5150 .. in that case I'll shutup ... My VS100 did not mind the line-level at all, though...

I know it works, I tried it also with my Engl. But it doesn't sound good as with a reamp box.
@Fragle: You can use the line out of your interface, but probably also if it's 5dB too hot, this signal is low. And when it pass through the reamp box it becomes too low.
For me you have to check if it's all right in the control panel OR in the reamp box (switch, pads, etc.... the redeye for example has an internal switch to get an hotter signal)

so you're saying that going straight from the interface->amp the signal should be louder than just 5db too loud?

as for the reamper, the pro rmp has a level pot which is cranked all the way. no pads on this one though.

i'm considering returning the pro rmp (as well as the pro 48 DI, see my other thread) and getting a x-amp.....since it's active there should be more volume on tap, and consequently it should work fine, would it?
but then again, if you're saying that my interface output is too low in volume, i guess there are other problems to be solved.

frankly, i have no idea...as i said, i tried panning things around, both in the control panel and in reaper, double checked that everything was turned up just as supposed...still getting low signal.

edit: you know what? I'll go and take some screenshots of the control panel as well as the settings in reaper...maybe i'm overlooking something.

Don't know if you output level is too low...but I think it is, because if we take apart the proRmp (it's cranked) the only weak point could be the output level.
Here is my Profire control panel:

Settings page

Router page

Make sure that Output 3/4 is assigned to Sw return 3/4
Make sure that Master volume know is assigned to OUT 1/2 only

I don't know if the profire's panel is the same but hope it helps

alright, done.

www.drop.io/DI_shootout files labeled 1-3 jpg

for these i routed the DI to profire outs 3/4 (stereo basically), and cranked both 3 and 4 all the way on the control panel. they are panned hard right because they were loudest at that setting (hard left would be no volume). in reaper i played with the send panning, but it didn't make any difference.
i purposely left the hardware send at 0db, so you can see the level that arrives at the control panel....
in my eyes, it seems like the profire software return receives a rather low level signal. when i boost on the hardware send in reaper to around +15db to get decent saturation when reamping, those meters on the out 3/4 are up into the red...is that how it's supposed to be?

btw, while i routed it to 3/4 for these pics, routing it to just output 3 does not make any difference.

Ok I tried Reaper.
I set my track, I imported on it a Marcus DI and I route it to Output Software Return 2 / Output softwre return 3 (the second one on the list). I didn't change any fader and it works perfectly.
Try to set all your control panel's pans at 0 and all the fader at 0 (expecially those software returns)... Make it simplier as possible.
Track -> out3 -> reamp -> amp and all sends,pans,aux unchanged.

Uhm...Probably my panel is different. Because the faders on the mixer work only as monitor faders...if I max a fader I can only monitor it, but it doesn't change the output of my track. I assigned to one of my fader the software return 3 but it changed nothing on my amp signal.
I don't know...in my panel I can assign everything to any analog output. I set SW RETURN 3/4 to my ANALOG OUT 3/4 so Interface's out3 has only what I send though swOut 3.
For me, the problem is in the control panel. It's the only solution