new katatonia...i'm intrigued...

bleedingskeptic

boo hoo
Oct 13, 2001
i read this today on the katatonia site today, not sure if anyone else has read it. it says that katatonia's upcoming album will be the heaviest yet...

Here's guitarist Anders to deliver the goods on the commenced album making -- "Our process of writing/pre-producing the new album has started to take off well now. This nocturnal obedience has left us with about 12 tracks so far, of which some are already complete and some are still being purged and thrown around. We hope to be able to record around 15 songs of which about 10-11 should land on the album."

Anders continues, "As for speculations on what the new album will sound like, we can confirm that the people who guessed it would be HARDER & DARKER were correct, yes that's right! Katatonia are NOT taking a softer turn, as this is by far the most hard material we've ever written, but make no mistake, it does NOT link to a "back to the roots" retrospect. Getting into details, I could mention that an overall upbeat pace has been applied to the main songs, we've dropped tuning from D# to C, more arrangements go beyond the repeated verse/chorus chain and even a few double bass drums parts appear!!! As for the synth/electronic part, there's been some strings, piano and mellotrone used as well as a few incorporated loops, but its not dominating, whats dominating are the crushing guitars, the real deal drums and the vocal patterns. Stay tuned..."
i'm not sure what to make of this yet...

Yeah, but I have been intrigued by this album for months, I can't wait. Considering the fucking great progression on LFDGD (even though it's the only one I have I have heard some of the others) I think that this album will be spectacular. LFDGD is one of my favorite CDs of all time, I can't wait!

Katatonia is fabulous. I loved their last three, and I'm sure the next one won't disappoint by any means. If they continue to mature like they have been, it should rival the new Opeth, Porcupine Tree and Devin Townsend/SYL for greatness.

Their heaviest ever...that makes me uneasy. Heavier than their work on Dance of December Souls and Jhva Elohim Meth? I hope not. Heavier than their work on For Funerals To Come, Brave Murder Day, and Sounds of Decay? Ok I guess.. Heavier than Saw You Drown and Discouraged Ones? Good. Heavier than Tonight's Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone Down? I hope that's what they mean.

Originally posted by Furious B
I just hope they don't pull an Ulver and go all techno on us ...

She-it, Perdition City is one of my favorite cd's, but then, Ulver went from bad metal to great trip hop. Katatonia would likely go from great metal to shitty techno.

I'm a huge fan of all Katatonia.. no matter what they do they seem to do it well. Discouraged Ones is one of my favorite albums of all time, and they keep makin quality work. All bands try to put spins on their new albums before a note has been herd.. we will just have to see :) they havent done me wrong yet though.

Heavier? Well unless they go back to growling vocals... it's not too likely that most people will think it sounds like their heaviest... I have to be honest, most of the songs I liked on their last two cd's were the ones with heavy guitar... Heavy may be just what they need... because technically they are inferior to a lot of other bands (at least the one's mentioned above - Opeth, Devon Townshend/SYL, Porcupine Tree and Ulver). Just my opinion, but heavy will be good for them.

Originally posted by IanDork107
it should rival the new Opeth, Porcupine Tree and Devin Townsend/SYL for greatness.

erm

Considering the Porcupine Tree is the only one of the albums in question that people have heard... how do you know any of the others are going to be great, eh? ;)

Originally posted by Jim LotFP
erm

Considering the Porcupine Tree is the only one of the albums in question that people have heard... how do you know any of the others are going to be great, eh? ;)

Because they're Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Katatonia, and Devin Townsend, you fool :lol:

Originally posted by IanDork107
She-it, Perdition City is one of my favorite cd's, but then, Ulver went from bad metal to great trip hop. Katatonia would likely go from great metal to shitty techno.

Ulver is bad metal? Bergtatt is an awsome cd and Nattens would have been good if not for the shitty production. I don't have kveslenger (or however it's spelled) but from what I hear it is really good too. Plus, I'm not into the whole techno thing ...

i think shitty productions started to cover up black metal bands' inability to play guitar, but that's just my opinion.

anyways, back to katatonia. i just hope they aren't going back to a heavier style just to please fans but because they feel its the right direction to go. it sounds like they aren't just going to just record a dance of december souls clone, but do something different, so maybe they really are doing this just because they feel its the right direction for musical reasons. i'm excited, but i just hope it doesn't turn out to be a dissapointment.

Originally posted by bleedingskeptic
i think shitty productions started to cover up black metal bands' inability to play guitar, but that's just my opinion.

No. While black metal guitarists may not be spectacular, bad production shows them for what they are. Good production covers up bad guitar players.