new katatonia...i'm intrigued...

I happen to love the "techno" as some people call it, direction that Katatonia has taken. Songs like We Must Bury You, and Chrome seem to demonstrate an almost poppy sound that I reallly like, but I don't think ANY other band could really pull it off...

A lot of black metal guitarist are good players, Ihsahn and Blasphemer for example. I just find the production adds to the whole overall atmosphere.
i know that the shitty production CAN add to the atmosphere, i'm just saying it probably started out as a way to cover up shitty playing.

No. While black metal guitarists may not be spectacular, bad production shows them for what they are. Good production covers up bad guitar players.
you know, when all the notes just sound like buzzing its hard to hear if they are hitting a wrong note or not. however, if you run the guitar through a machine to fix errors its hard to tell if they hit a wrong note during the actual recording. it goes both ways. i'm just saying that bad production could be a crutch for black metal bands like how guitar effects are crutches for nu-metal bands.

I don't think a band has to have horrible production to have good atmosphere. I think "Bergtatt" had very good atmosphere with okay production. "Nattens" on the other hand, has rancid production, that I can't even bare to listen to it.

You mustn'y forget that "Nattens Madrigal" was recorded with a special purpose, as a kind of tribute to Darkthrone and old-school black metal, so the production wasn't a surprise. Anyway it didn't bother me much (but then I cannot be very objective).

As for the bad production used to hide the lack of skill, I don't believe that this is the case since many of the bands that used that kind of production has shown later that they are very good musicians.

And to return to the main topic of the thread, I wouldn't mind seeing Katatonia either experiment or return to their roots. I just don't think that a doom/death sound would be very interesting. They left that style many years ago... But doing something like "Discouraged Ones" wouldn't be disappointing...

"Katatonia are NOT taking a softer turn, as this is by far the most hard material we've ever written"

Don't all bands say this? Can't they say anything original?

Last Fair Deal Gone down either sucked ass, or I just wasn't able to get into it for whatever reason. I loved Tonight's Decision, but Brave Murder Day is the best so far. Though Mike did BMD's vocals, Renske does death metal vocals really well. See October Tide's "Rain without End" it'd be cool if he tried to incorporate this back into Katatonia.

Originally posted by Metal88
Last Fair Deal Gone down either sucked ass, or I just wasn't able to get into it for whatever reason. I loved Tonight's Decision, but Brave Murder Day is the best so far. Though Mike did BMD's vocals, Renske does death metal vocals really well. See October Tide's "Rain without End" it'd be cool if he tried to incorporate this back into Katatonia.

Nah...they've finally found themselves as a band and you just want a regression? I think they're doing what they should be right now, and that's exactly whatever the fuck they want to do. October Tide is a band with death vocals, Katatonia isn't. I wouldn't like it if they put death vocals on the new one.

Regression??? After Brave murder day, they changed their sound. Note they didn't IMPROVE their sound as I"m hoping you weren't trying to indicate,(or else you'd be a silly dumbass for thinking that is something you can scientifically determine) but simply changed it. I like it both styles, of course. I'll assume you didn't mean anything of the sort I speak of above and therefore also assume you have some sense. ;)

Katatonia has as many death metal cd's as OT does. I realize they've changed and never indicated they hadn't. The context of this thread is the bands new cd being "Heavy" Is it not appropriate to mention that their current heaviest cd happens to be my favorite? (BMD) And to point out that Renske has death metal skills and that personally, I like them? Are opinions not welcome to you? Your skull should be crushed while you're alive, just my opinion, of course. Hehehe ;-)

Originally posted by Metal88
Regression??? After Brave murder day, they changed their sound. Note they didn't IMPROVE their sound as I"m hoping you weren't trying to indicate,(or else you'd be a silly dumbass for thinking that is something you can scientifically determine) but simply changed it. I like it both styles, of course. I'll assume you didn't mean anything of the sort I speak of above and therefore also assume you have some sense. ;)

Katatonia has as many death metal cd's as OT does. I realize they've changed and never indicated they hadn't. The context of this thread is the bands new cd being "Heavy" Is it not appropriate to mention that their current heaviest cd happens to be my favorite? (BMD) And to point out that Renske has death metal skills and that personally, I like them? Are opinions not welcome to you? Your skull should be crushed while you're alive, just my opinion, of course. Hehehe ;-)

I'm no jackass. I wouldn't say that they definitely improved, but in my opinion of what makes music good, they got better. That's just an opinion, no scientific proof anywhere in sight, and none required. I didn't mean for that last post to seem closed minded. I should have put IMO somewhere in there, and you're certainly welcome to your own opinion. I don't think he's bad at death vocals, nor would I be extremely put off if he threw some in there on the next one. Musically though, I think the band is more passionate now than in their death metal days, but again, thats just my opinion.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
"Katatonia are NOT taking a softer turn, as this is by far the most hard material we've ever written"

Don't all bands say this? Can't they say anything original?

:lol: How tr00, how tr00 ...

Originally posted by Monsterxman
technically they are inferior to a lot of other bands (at least the one's mentioned above - Opeth, Devon Townshend/SYL, Porcupine Tree and Ulver).

I personally think that Anders writes some amazing guitar parts.

Katatonia have morphed. Now doubt about it. The atmosphere they produce however has stayed the same, IMO. This seems to be a pretty good indication that they've got that down pat. The ability to render a listener, well, catatonic with depression I guess. Which is pretty cool, in controlled doses. I for one love the direction they've chosen, as I don't think they've compromised on their sound, just by singing clean vocals.

Anyway, looking forward to anything further these guys put out.