New Maiden

I like it. Obviously it won't top the 80s classics. Number through SSOASS is still the greatest streak in the history of heavy metal. There are very few bands that can dominate a whole decade like maiden does.

They usually pick one of the more rockish less exciting songs as a single (or thats been the trend on the post 2000 albums). If the trend continues I'm super pysched for this album (though I would like anything maiden put out, most important band to me by a longshot).

In terms of production I haven't been impressed with anything post FOTD. I think Piece of Mind through SSOASS has some of my personal favorite production though.

Nobody is talking about "commercial Bullshit" you got it all wrong, I mean, The Rime Of the acient mariner is a GREAT 13 minute long song, Alexander The great is great too, so as 7son of a 7 son, they are long songs but still they felt so natural.

El dorado doesn't have the same expression, It doesn't feel that natural, especially after the 4.30 minute, Maybe it should be a shorter song. IMO.

You said "DAMN man I totally agree I HATE the boody ten minutes songs" not "I hate El dorado, it should be a 4:30 minute song". Now you're talking about how great these other +10min songs are and telling me I've "got it all wrong"?

This and I wanna do a cover of this fuckin song!!! :headbang:

Do a 30min cover! I'd listen to it (probably only once!).

Anyone else here rate Killers as one of their best? Or is it just me....

You know it's not just you... :D
One of my favorite Maiden productions topped with great songwriting = killer(s) album! :headbang:

I think they've gradually began to lose it after Adrian's departure in '89, and especially after Bruce leaving... Maybe it's a coincidence but they've failed to release a worthwhile album after Birch stopped working with them - maybe he was an authority enough for them to stop them from overdoing the songs and stretching them beyond the point of listenability...

Too bad he retired... :bah:

For me the best maiden is Somewhere in time...but all the 80's mainden albums are masterpieces
I remember when I was a child and go to the shop in 1988 to buy the seventh son vinyl....I don't like at all all the maiden albums after seventh son....

I´m loving the songs of the "Killers" Album. It sounds so rough and aggressive! Steve Harris is playing like a young god. I also think, the entire album sounds better than "The Number of the Beast" record soundwise. It´s anyhow brighter and crisp!

Jind: Do you ever listen to just some track off of AMOLAD or do you listen to the whole album every time?

For me there's only one song that I can listen to on it's own, Out of the Shadows. I don't know why, but when I feel like listening to AMOLAD, I just have to play it from the beginning to the end. For some odd reason it forms some sort of big entity that works best as a whole.

I do tend to listen through it completely and completely agree that it is better when approached that way. It has these dark underpinnings and progressive elements that when listened to in smaller increments just do not have the same impact as when listened to as a whole. I'm serious when I say that it has become one of my top Maiden picks, right up with "Piece of Mind" and "Powerslave". As I noted earlier - I find some of the riffs to be so damned catchy in that subconscious sort of way that they find their way into my playing when I'm just screwing around.

It's definitely the better of the two Di'Anno era studio albums and up their in my top 5 Maiden albums. It was also the beginning of the Martin Birch era which would go on to produce so many great Maiden discs.

I was just explaining to someone at dinner last night that most dedicated Maiden fans will dearly love one or both of the first two albums (stemmed from the topic of Paul DiAnno's imminent Aus tour and the fact that he's playing the full first album and some songs off Killers exclusively).

Also No Prayer for the Dying is probably in my top three as well :wave:

After listening to the song a couple of times, I think that, as the previous 2 albums, it is very raw and live. Not as tight as the bands we are used to talk about in this forum.

And yes, 'Killers' is fucking epic. It was my first Iron Maiden album, and the first time I smelled vinyl -the album still smells llike the first time-. Everytime I smell of vinyl it reminds me to Killers and my childhood's heavy metal defloration.

Killers was actually the very 1st tape I bought with my own money when I was 10 ... was also my 1st exposure to Maiden. I bought it cause I liked the cover :D I had to re-buy it several times cause I kept wearing the tape out

love that album to this day

This thread put myself on an Iron Maiden vibe. Bruce Dickinson should make a metal classics album before he retires, like Iced Earth did on "Tribute To The Gods". Everytime I listen to Bruce singing Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Perfect Strangers I think "the world would be a much better place if there was at least 90 minutes of this material". Come on Andy, convince him! : D

AMOLAD was a grower on me - at first I felt the same as it seems most do, but these days I listen to it at least once a week and find myself playing riffs from it when just doodling around. As for DOD it's like most Maiden albums - I'll always find something to like about it, on a bonus side, I love the "Death on the Road" DVD - the sound is great and even a song like "Dance of Death" comes off wonderfully.

Oh yeah that Dvd is awesome, their performance is top notch (as always) and the scenery and theatrics are amazing, plus the wardrobe chick in the documentary is beautiful, I want to fuck her in Iron maiden's closet

Edit: Killers is just too awesome, that album slays from beggining to end, I love it with a passion

I liked the song and I also liked that it is somewhat different from other stuff they've released lately. I have to say that I love BNW and AMOLAD, but the Birch era is unbeatable. My fave record from Maiden is Piece of Mind.
*EDIT* And I liked the cover as well. But it doesn't erase the fact that Riggs shouyld be the one doing the covers for Maiden UNTIL THE VERY LAST FUCKING RECORD!!!!