New Meshuggah album guitars using VST's??

Dunno, I'm a huge, huge Meshuggah fan but I haven't remotely dug any of their tones since '98. The fact that they're even dropping mic'ed cabs now in favor of straight soft-sims is not exactly inspiring news.

Yeah, their tone has not exactly been ace since the 90's. Its been all downhill since DEI for me.

Every single Meshuggah album sounds like shit except DEI.

These guys would be much, much bigger if they didn't make the mistake of trying to produce their own stuff.

^ That mentality baffles the shit out of me, I really don't understand what difference it makes? A band's production doesn't equate their popularity, or alter the level on which they reach their audience (most band's audiences being comprised almost entirely of non-producers/musicians, you must remember).

Having said that, I fear that the only reason for them announcing the VST route is to be innovative and stir up some shit. I really couldn't give a fuck what people use so long as the end result is good, and it will be good, because it's Meshuggah. I actually quite liked the vibe of ObZen, it was bizarre, and that made it interesting. This band simply isn't for everyone, and their music wouldn't fit into any mix that was even remotely conventional, and I think that's what makes their stuff take so long to settle with some people.

Crazy huh? Actually I'm wondering: if they use VSTs, why not one of that great free ones. Legion and X30 are perfect for djent ;o

Maybe they're wanting to cash in on all that preset-selling business. Can you imagine how many up & coming, 8-stringing djentbags would give an arm and a leg to sound even more sterile, lifeless and uninspired?

^ That mentality baffles the shit out of me, I really don't understand what difference it makes? A band's production doesn't equate their popularity, or alter the level on which they reach their audience (most band's audiences being comprised almost entirely of non-producers/musicians, you must remember).

Keep recording and mixing. Just do it over and over and over and over again until one day - when it all clicks - you'll realize that you as engineer/producer have the distinct power to either diminish or enhance the connection between the artist and the listener depending on the choices that you make all throughout the production process, but especially during mixing.

Production can, and often does, make or break artists. There's really no question about that.

Keep recording and mixing. Just do it over and over and over and over again until one day - when it all clicks - you'll realize that you as engineer/producer have the distinct power to either diminish or enhance the connection between the artist and the listener depending on the choices that you make all throughout the production process, but especially during mixing.

Production can, and often does, make or break artists. There's really no question about that.

def agree.
put this chick with the lady gaga producer, better production, she would be famous, sadly :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

No I agree totally that you have to fit the style of production with the style of the band, you can't just hit record and release it. But when you have a band like Meshuggah, who have so much of their own sound in their music, and the instrumentation etc, they wouldn't/couldn't fit into anything else, so I strongly believe no other producer could make them any more/less popular. It's not like if they hook up with someone new they'll all of a sudden grab 25000 new fans.

Haha! TERRIBLE choice of words Toxic... UNLESS... you actually DID hear it.. and now you're trying to backtrack...
TELL US ABOUT IT GODAMN IT! :p