New Meshuggah album guitars using VST's??

Maybe they're wanting to cash in on all that preset-selling business. Can you imagine how many up & coming, 8-stringing djentbags would give an arm and a leg to sound even more sterile, lifeless and uninspired?

Sigg'd.

I want to hear a Meshuggah album produced by Andy Sneap..... with guest solos by Jeff Loomis, Emil Werstler, Devin Townsend, and Paul Masvidal...

Actually, I want to create an album that sounds like that. haha :eek:

Maybe they're wanting to cash in on all that preset-selling business. Can you imagine how many up & coming, 8-stringing djentbags would give an arm and a leg to sound even more sterile, lifeless and uninspired?

That is one of the best sentences ever.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

First of all, they used Cubase Amp Rack because they loved the sound from it. Actually, they can use whatever they want in the whole world when it comes to amps, right? No limits at all. So they'll use what they like the most. In this case: Amp Rack.

I haven't heard the album. I've actually moved out of Fear and Loathing Studios. Couldn't afford it anymore. I'm really looking forward to listen to it without hearing all those riffs/ideas a year before. ;)

Daniel Bergstrand mixed the album, AFAIK.

It comes back to the old saying "if it sounds right, then it is right".

BTW: I love the sound of Obzen. To me, it fits the music perfectly.

Is this Amp Rack something relatively new in Cubase or has it been around a while?

Just wondering, because I don't use Cubase and haven't really heard anyone else talk about it...

This is a cool thread and I find it interesting to discuss how production can make, break, or plateau a band.

To put some things into perspective, according to Soundscan this is the order of the albums based on highest sellers:
Nothing - 120,741
Obzen - 82,586
Choasphere - 72,483
DEI - 64,353
Catch 33 - 60,335

This doesn't coincide with production quality as many seem to believe. IMO DEI is their best produced but that is my opinion. I agree with those saying that they should definitely have someone else produce their stuff, and go back to an analog approach to tracking. That would be ideal for me as a fan.

They are doing well because they push the boundaries of what "metal" is supposed to be and NEVER do the same thing twice. They keep you guessing. On top of that they are exceptional musicians and always do something surprising. DEI is to me the best Metal Record of the 90's. Every time I listen to it I hear something new. My issue with the self produced stuff is not only the that the production is not ideal, i dont think its horrible but its not ideal, but that they lost something when veering too far away from traditional song writing techniques. They are almost like a Metal Jazz band, lots of long lines and patterns with hooks and themes that come back every now and then. All just my opinions. I've been a fan since '95 but my favorite record is still DEI.

I'd love to hear another Bergstrand album, or even a Colin Richardson version of Meshuggah. That would be cool to me. I still love to hear anything they do as no one else comes close to their out of the box style.

cubase vst amprack i played with on bass yesterday and quite surprised how good it was - on guitars it didnt work for me, for guitars I really think the amp needs to move air.....

Just wondering, because I don't use Cubase and haven't really heard anyone else talk about it

I guess that's because AmpRack doesn't sound good, compared to other simulation software...
If they really used AR, i wonder how they managed to get a good guitar sound...

Does anybody here use AR?

I guess that's because AmpRack doesn't sound good, compared to other simulation software...
If they really used AR, i wonder how they managed to get a good guitar sound...

Does anybody here use AR?

You know what.. I'm just going to say it right here...
The guys are AMAZING as a band, amazing as a live show and write incredible one of a kind music...

But they thought that the tone on ObZen was GOOD... They DEFINITELY know music... But when it comes to tone/ production, they don't know their arse from their elbow!

I'm hoping bergstrand goes NAH.. DI me RIGHT NOW! :p

They're Meshuggah, they're allowed to use any amp in the world etc. etc. of course - but it's their track record of using digital tones over the last decade that worries me. There hasn't been a single one I'd consider 'good', or even 'average', so hearing that the approach to this album has gone even further into that direction is what bothers me.

I love their music, and for once I want the power of it to actually translate on an album.

Wait & see, I guess.