New Metal Project, Free Wavs for Mix Practice

This song is so fucking good!

Brilliantly written and recorded :kickass:

Wrapping up my mix tonight. Thanks for sharing this with us bro!

Hey man, its extremely awesome to hear that kind of feedback. Usually, I take WAY too long to record, mix and put out a track.. and its usually met with little to no interest, which is fine because I mostly do it for fun. But its always extremely awesome to get this kind of feedback.

This song, in particular, took us about 8 months to start writing, continue writing, and finish. My guitarist and I, multiple times, stopped working on it all together, for months at a time, due to schedule conflicts.. and we were both almost convinced it was going to be abandoned multiple times. But we finally got it all done.

I need to show my vocalist and guitarist some of these extremely nice comments to help motivate them to put out another track. My guitarist is usually pretty hard to get in contact with, but apparently he's writing some scratch tracks on his own now to bring over for the next track. Since he started tracking Necromancer with me, he really wanted to get into the production thing, so I've been helping him set up a simple little recording rig. So he will be tracking some scratch tracks and I'll go in and see what will be decent for a follow up!

Can't wait to hear your mix man... thanks a ton for the inspiration to continue doing something that doesn't get much recognition :)

Hey man, its extremely awesome to hear that kind of feedback. Usually, I take WAY too long to record, mix and put out a track.. and its usually met with little to no interest, which is fine because I mostly do it for fun. But its always extremely awesome to get this kind of feedback.

This song, in particular, took us about 8 months to start writing, continue writing, and finish. My guitarist and I, multiple times, stopped working on it all together, for months at a time, due to schedule conflicts.. and we were both almost convinced it was going to be abandoned multiple times. But we finally got it all done.

I need to show my vocalist and guitarist some of these extremely nice comments to help motivate them to put out another track. My guitarist is usually pretty hard to get in contact with, but apparently he's writing some scratch tracks on his own now to bring over for the next track. Since he started tracking Necromancer with me, he really wanted to get into the production thing, so I've been helping him set up a simple little recording rig. So he will be tracking some scratch tracks and I'll go in and see what will be decent for a follow up!

Can't wait to hear your mix man... thanks a ton for the inspiration to continue doing something that doesn't get much recognition :)

No worries at all, bro!

All the hard work and what sounds like, persistence really paid off! I'm almost said to hear this was such a labor of love, haha. I would absolutely love a whole album of this stuff.

I've worked with some great bands with well written songs and I have to say; this ranks up there! You're vocalist is absolutely fucking sick. I ran all the vocal tracks individually through my 1176 and aside from a little low/high shelving EQ, HP, delay/verb.... shit sits and sounds ridiculous.

I hope my take on the song inspires yourself and the rest of the dudes to do more! That is, if you like what I've done. I took a break from it last night even though I was basically done; at this point I've just gone into OCD mode; so it's time to bounce this mofo. Haha.

Cheers dude! You should get mad recognition for this!!!! :kickass:

I hope I didn't take *too* many liberties. Ahaha!

I use Cubase 7.5 and managed to discover these tracks after you had posted the fixed MIDI file. TOM1 definitely didn't map correctly and some other things that were supposed to be hats / crashes were mapped to like, choked crashes and the ride bell.

Not a big deal though, pretty easy to listen to the drums and know what was wrong. I did change a few of the parts (only tom / cymbal stuff; left the kick and snare alone) just because I thought it sounded cool as I went through and correct the weird hits. Using EZD2, BTW...

And if you'd like to download it to show your bandmates or just to have; https://copy.com/ty1AOMEOSHvxazT6

Hope you dig it! Again, amazing song and performances. I'm surprised more people haven't jumped on this! I found on this particular song that the BASS DI gave me the most trouble. I had a fucking bitch of a time getting something that sat well with the guitars but didn't eat up all the low-end while doing so, which I usually don't have to demote *so much* time to. I spent the most time on rectifying that and making it work the best I could... the rest was tracked very well.

If there's anything you'd like to know or ask, feel free bro!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks a ton for the share man. I always appreciate hearing these. I always want to remind people that I don't ask to hear these.. I want people to use them for practice.. showing me the mix afterwards is totally up to the mixer, but is ALWAYS appreciated. Thanks a ton for the share man. I'll be showing the other guys all of the mixes shared so far.

No worries at all, bro!

All the hard work and what sounds like, persistence really paid off! I'm almost said to hear this was such a labor of love, haha. I would absolutely love a whole album of this stuff.

I've worked with some great bands with well written songs and I have to say; this ranks up there! You're vocalist is absolutely fucking sick. I ran all the vocal tracks individually through my 1176 and aside from a little low/high shelving EQ, HP, delay/verb.... shit sits and sounds ridiculous.

I hope my take on the song inspires yourself and the rest of the dudes to do more! That is, if you like what I've done. I took a break from it last night even though I was basically done; at this point I've just gone into OCD mode; so it's time to bounce this mofo. Haha.

Cheers dude! You should get mad recognition for this!!!! :kickass:

I sent a few texts out today to my band friends with some of the nice quotes from this thread. They were blown away. They knew little about the fact that anyone enjoyed this song. I'm sure it helped motivate them.

Also, just got word from our guitarist... he's definitely got a bunch going on for scratch tracks and soon we will be getting together to work on it.

I'm dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time :) Mostly because I'm worried about being consistently decent with this song, but we will try our hardest.

I hope I didn't take *too* many liberties. Ahaha!

I use Cubase 7.5 and managed to discover these tracks after you had posted the fixed MIDI file. TOM1 definitely didn't map correctly and some other things that were supposed to be hats / crashes were mapped to like, choked crashes and the ride bell.

Not a big deal though, pretty easy to listen to the drums and know what was wrong. I did change a few of the parts (only tom / cymbal stuff; left the kick and snare alone) just because I thought it sounded cool as I went through and correct the weird hits. Using EZD2, BTW...

And if you'd like to download it to show your bandmates or just to have; https://copy.com/ty1AOMEOSHvxazT6

Hope you dig it! Again, amazing song and performances. I'm surprised more people haven't jumped on this! I found on this particular song that the BASS DI gave me the most trouble. I had a fucking bitch of a time getting something that sat well with the guitars but didn't eat up all the low-end while doing so, which I usually don't have to demote *so much* time to. I spent the most time on rectifying that and making it work the best I could... the rest was tracked very well.

If there's anything you'd like to know or ask, feel free bro!

I have absolutely NO issue with anyone taking any liberty with our tracks! I love hearing remixes with the same material the same as remixes with added stuff or whatever. I wouldn't mind if people added their own solos or did their own vocals or added keys or whatever! Its all for fun and for practice, so there definitely is not a problem with changing it.

This mix sounds DAMN massive man. Super thick.. lots of low end! That kick drum is ridiculously awesome! Vocals are nicely compressed.. totally upfront and not varying much in volume... just the way I love it! My vocalist and guitarist are going to love hearing this for sure. I dig the HELL out of this remix man. The interlude section is excellent too! Also, very very ambient stuff going on with the reverbs and whatnot in this mix... I love it. I'll be back to report on my vocalists' reaction to this mix.

On a side-note... it seems that just about each mix has beaten the overall volume (RMS) of my mix. I need to get some mastering limiting tips from you guys... I'm never able to fully limit a track to commercial volume without killing all the punch that I love about the drums...

Once again, thanks to all.. And thanks 1984 for the share and awesome words. I can verify that what you said really put a spark in my guitarist.. as he's struggling to manage time with school and working on these tracks. He lit right up!

I have absolutely NO issue with anyone taking any liberty with our tracks! I love hearing remixes with the same material the same as remixes with added stuff or whatever. I wouldn't mind if people added their own solos or did their own vocals or added keys or whatever! Its all for fun and for practice, so there definitely is not a problem with changing it.

This mix sounds DAMN massive man. Super thick.. lots of low end! That kick drum is ridiculously awesome! Vocals are nicely compressed.. totally upfront and not varying much in volume... just the way I love it! My vocalist and guitarist are going to love hearing this for sure. I dig the HELL out of this remix man. The interlude section is excellent too! Also, very very ambient stuff going on with the reverbs and whatnot in this mix... I love it. I'll be back to report on my vocalists' reaction to this mix.

On a side-note... it seems that just about each mix has beaten the overall volume (RMS) of my mix. I need to get some mastering limiting tips from you guys... I'm never able to fully limit a track to commercial volume without killing all the punch that I love about the drums...

Once again, thanks to all.. And thanks 1984 for the share and awesome words. I can verify that what you said really put a spark in my guitarist.. as he's struggling to manage time with school and working on these tracks. He lit right up!

Haha, awesome dude. I kept anxiously checking this thread waiting for your feedback, as it's always nerve wracking throwing something out there (at least for me) that you spent an *entire day* on (12+ hours) haha. Glad you dig it!

If anything I'd go back and sculpt / control the low-end a bit as it is probably a bit *too* much and work on the drum sound / balance a *lot* more thoroughly but I had to draw the line in the sand somewhere, haha. I spent a ton of time processing and printing tracks through h/w.

GTR's are the new TSE X50 2.3 which I absolutely fucking love; and this was the first time I got a chance to actually mix a tune using the new version from the get-go.

G-SSL and a pair of 500-series Pultec-style EQ's on 2BUSS, of course along with some other choice plugs. As I said before, vox are essentially all 1176 besides the verb, delays and a tiny bit of EQ (less than you'd think).

:kickass: Rock on dude; I hope this does inspire your other members! I want to hear and work on more "Oath to Anubis" songs! Fuck yes! :Smokedev:

Haha, awesome dude. I kept anxiously checking this thread waiting for your feedback, as it's always nerve wracking throwing something out there (at least for me) that you spent an *entire day* on (12+ hours) haha. Glad you dig it!

If anything I'd go back and sculpt / control the low-end a bit as it is probably a bit *too* much and work on the drum sound / balance a *lot* more thoroughly but I had to draw the line in the sand somewhere, haha. I spent a ton of time processing and printing tracks through h/w.

GTR's are the new TSE X50 2.3 which I absolutely fucking love; and this was the first time I got a chance to actually mix a tune using the new version from the get-go.

G-SSL and a pair of 500-series Pultec-style EQ's on 2BUSS, of course along with some other choice plugs. As I said before, vox are essentially all 1176 besides the verb, delays and a tiny bit of EQ (less than you'd think).

:kickass: Rock on dude; I hope this does inspire your other members! I want to hear and work on more "Oath to Anubis" songs! Fuck yes! :Smokedev:

Totally understandable with drawing the line part... thats how it is with me. I'll get to a point where I'm sick and tired of the song and I'm now second-guessing each and every move I make.. and making millions of minor tweaks.. when I reach this point.. I know its time to finish up and bounce it out.

Another member mentioned that guitar amp sim.. I hear TONS of things about it being one of the best... I'd love to start a group donation (from mac and pro tools users) to help the developer obtain the tools and motivation to develop for us guys.. but I dont think hes going to develop for this combination, which is sad.

I'm gonna keep listening to your version on different sources and report back. But I really dig it.

Also, if we successfully write another full Oath song, I promise to have the stems uploaded for remixing. Its a blast to hear these remixes.. so I won't skip uploading the stems for sure.

Edit: I just read on the TSE Audio forums that they are INDEED porting over to AAX! I'll definitely be giving that plugin a demo when that comes out! Also, anyone else have any other suggestions for decent ITB metal tones?

Totally understandable with drawing the line part... thats how it is with me. I'll get to a point where I'm sick and tired of the song and I'm now second-guessing each and every move I make.. and making millions of minor tweaks.. when I reach this point.. I know its time to finish up and bounce it out.

Another member mentioned that guitar amp sim.. I hear TONS of things about it being one of the best... I'd love to start a group donation (from mac and pro tools users) to help the developer obtain the tools and motivation to develop for us guys.. but I dont think hes going to develop for this combination, which is sad.

I'm gonna keep listening to your version on different sources and report back. But I really dig it.

Also, if we successfully write another full Oath song, I promise to have the stems uploaded for remixing. Its a blast to hear these remixes.. so I won't skip uploading the stems for sure.

Edit: I just read on the TSE Audio forums that they are INDEED porting over to AAX! I'll definitely be giving that plugin a demo when that comes out! Also, anyone else have any other suggestions for decent ITB metal tones?

:kickass: Thanks again bro for the kind words. Means a lot when the person who recorded the song *and* wrote it (to whatever extend) digs my interpretation of it; sonically!

Appreciate you checking it on different sources and such! I mixed it through NS10's at super low level and then spent about 2-3 hours combined time in mono on an old Auratone, then back to the NS10's for final tweaks.

And dude, *yes*. X50 V2.3 is the sickest amp sim I've ever used. I was never a huge fan of any of the sims out there and always felt like I was 'making due' and compromising using Podfarm (which I fucking hate for high-gain; the cleans and EFX are great, especially for my workflow) or LeGion by Lepou because I'm so used to using real amps and reamping (which unfortuntely, I do not have the proper space nor situation to do my own reamps) so I was super bumming about attempting to make any of the available sims work for me. X50 V2 came pretty close and sometimes I'd make PodFarm work but always felt like I was, as I said, compromising.

Not the case with 2.3 If you like that 5150 high gain sound (which is my favorite amp of all time, ahahaha, lucky me) then you're set. Luckily, with the available options for power amp tubes, boost in front of the amp and especially what impulse(s) you use, it's possible to get a myriad of different tones... tones that I thought I couldn't get with a "5150 sim".

Can't wait for your bands thoughts and moreover, the next Oath track! :saint:

Also, I really liked the effects you added. There's some cool things going on during the interlude and intro it sounds like. And the creative panning... I double tracked only for the texture.. Only on a few sections did I use the doubles to pan (during a solo, I panned the vocals to keep things separated, I panned the dubs on any vocals that might of overlapped, for intelligibility, and I panned when lows and highs mixed). But in all honesty, that wasn't that much panning... As I said.. I doubled the vocals for the sound of the double, th texture. Didn't think too much about the panning, but you really used the doubles for some alternative panning.. Which is cool. Danny (our vocalist) already heard it and said it 'fucking sick' haha

On an unrelated side note.. I think I know which direction lyrically the next song will go.

If anyone in this forum was a part of my Beyond the End track uploads (those gross, cruddy stems lol), they know that the 5 tracks of BTE were all one concept EP (A futuristic apocalyptic type of idea). Well, I don't think I will be doing the same with these lyrics. I think I WILL be tying the idea of Necromancer to the idea of the next song, but it won't be a concept per say. In Necromancer, I wrote a fictional little story. The song isn't cohesive at all, it doesn't have a timeframe, mostly just little stories all within one larger idea... the song starts off with a main character losing their faith (Verse 1)... discovering the Necronomicon (In this story, its not the fictional Necronomicon, its the real deal! lol) and becoming overly obsessed. There's a little bit of 'demon conjuring' (Verse 2) and whatnot in some sections.. other sections talk about the book itself (Prechorus), ... there's a possession section (They're now inside you), which happens to one particular individual after the conjuring segment and verse 3 (And as I recite the passages section)... and then there's this person's point of view of the possession, a proclamation to this person's 'new-found god' (Belial, Fallen One) and how this person wants to be dragged to hell.

So in Necromancer, I touched on a bunch of little topics in this fabricated, open-ended story. I think the next song will expand on one of the sections, not tell a linear storyline really, just jump to a section of this story and zoom in. Probably the first-person point of view of the possession (expanding on the last verse of Necromancer).. what it feels like, the mental interruptions, lose of self-awareness, etc.

It all sounds so fucking cheesy when I summarize the lyrics of old and new songs, but I TRY my best to write them in a non-cheesy way. Its just impossible to explain them without being too cheesy.

I am super late, but here's my try did this afternoon:

The raw files are pretty good so it was a pleasure to mix:D

I am super late, but here's my try did this afternoon:

The raw files are pretty good so it was a pleasure to mix:D

Awesome man.. I'll check it out after work on my studio monitors. Thanks for sharing your mix. I'll make another post after checking it out.

Hey what tuning is this in btw? I know you have a bass drop file but I wanted to try and make my own and everything. My first post I believe on this forum ever because i made an account and never did anything with it until now haha. And im about to start mixing the song today! I spent some time getting tones and editing the midi drums because I use a different vsti and I only have up to three toms so I had to rework some of the fills and stuff with the toms

Hey! You asked for comments so i'll too comment. =P I think composition is great for the style, awesome if it had a more virtuoso solo (for my personal taste). I liked the strumming guitar on the break a lot though. And, as I too am a poor producer as i don't know much what i'm doing, judging as a listener and with the few knowledge i have, i'd say it lacks clarity and punch to sound like a totally professional track. I just don't have any tips on how to get there, lol. Either way panning, leveling and the layering of different tracks (i think it's called overdub) are pretty good, just couldn't tell if totally professional cause it sounded a bit dark, but if you're still an amateur producer it's awesome overall. =)

Thanks for sharing for this track Joe! The song, and performance are both killer! I just got Metal Foundry and decided to use this as a test run. The guitars were re-amped through a Kemper, and boosted by a Keeley modded ts-9dx. It's cool to hear everyones different takes on this track. My focus was to stay true to the original, and add some dynamics by modifying the velocities.

Thanks for listening!

-Gabe

Check out this mix! Very clean death metal mix I did. Very fun!

Bit late to the party here!!

I think this came out great tho. Hoping my ears didn't tire out. Great recording to work with:

I'm a bit late to the party also, never knew that you (Chris Clancy) remixed this. This is awesome! I own some of your CDs, crazy to see it go full circle and hear a mix you did of a track we did... so awesome. I realize this was months ago, but I'm only just now connecting it, I'm blown away by the fact! Thanks man.