new mix challenge ???

That's cool stuff CFH, but I'd say keep an eye on your compression. It sounds like the guitars are ducking in and out of volume the whole way through. There's definitely something suss going on on one of your dynamics processors.

Anyhow, there was an issue with the low-mids on mine that was really starting to annoy me, so I've revised the mix a little. I think the entire thing may still be a bit bass-shy... I'm not sure, can't really tell.

So version 2, uploaded in place of the old at:

http://users.tpg.com.au/afiteam/ronnie_sneaplapse_mix.mp3

By the way, I'm really starting to grow tired of the Sonic Timeworks mastering limiter. I've done everything I can to tame transients with compression and other limiting up to it but the thing HATES toms. It just wants any reason to clip. Sure it's great for saving your transients and not getting that pumping sound, but it just clips way too often.

That's cool stuff CFH, but I'd say keep an eye on your compression. It sounds like the guitars are ducking in and out of volume the whole way through. There's definitely something suss going on on one of your dynamics processors.

Yeah you are right. I'm pretty sure its my buss compression. I hadn't been watching the meters and it was compressing like 6-7 db....a bit much LOL.

Its a start anyways, I was just worried about the drums sounds more then anything...guitars need to be brighter I think, and the bass needs a little more edge...but drum wise...I got no clue. I'm a drummer so I always want the drums too loud and too attack heavy...any comments in regards to that?

Nice work there, bro!

What made me freak out is how similar mine turned out. I was actually going for a ripoff Sneap sound for shits and giggles.

Here it is:

http://users.tpg.com.au/afiteam/ronnie_sneaplapse_mix.mp3

Great job on the tracking, Ronnie... I love that rhythm guitar sound. Seriously I have a huge boner for Mesa and GT75 speakers... I just love that shit. Meshuggah for life \m/

I hope you'll post the vocals and leads once they're tracked on here too man, I wanna make this a complete mix!

Not bad. Quite Sneapish indeed. I was expecting more of your toms to be honest :p

Okay, I think I've just done the last mix I care to do... spent way too long tweaking this shit! Haha, same link as before.

I love these mix contests. You get to see how different everyone's take is on the exact same song, and the variance usually astounds you.

Can't wait for the vocals and leads!

Don't know what you changed, but it sounds a bit more refined than before.

I should say a sorry to all the people who've uploaded their mixes on the free file share sites. I no longer trust them, so I tend to stay away from them where possible.

Gr8 job CJ! i like the mix alot!

haha, thanks bro!

good job on the tracking as well. I didn't really have a problem with the OH stereo imaging, when you add in the additional china, ride and hat mics it all comes together nicely.

BTW, your playing was awesome! super tight. What kind of guitar/pickups did you use?

haha, thanks bro!

good job on the tracking as well. I didn't really have a problem with the OH stereo imaging, when you add in the additional china, ride and hat mics it all comes together nicely.

BTW, your playing was awesome! super tight. What kind of guitar/pickups did you use?

thanks mate!

i use a very rare Ibanez American Master USA Custom w/EMG 81 & 85 pickups.

regarding stereo image, i didn´t have any problem as well. it´s not the greatest OH mics in the world, but they do there job. i have ordered a pair of 414´s now.

i tried out a pair of Earthworks SR77 mics. they sounded killer dude! crispy clear oh. expensive thou. $2100 a pair i think.