new mix challenge ???

I bet a lot of you guys are monitoring HELLA LOUD, turn it down a little and gain some clarity. fletcher munson is the devil.

Im not slamming anyone BTW just giving some honest feedback its just my opinon. peace and love and all that shit

machinated
all right dude, I think it could use some low end (think 200hz and down, to fill it out. kick and snare are righteous, I think I heard a mistrigger a second ago on the kick (just one)
bigger guitars (whatever that means)
I think its not bad kick, toms and snare are way forward and dry, but thats a judgement call. they sound kick ass
the 2 buss is pumping but really just noticeable in the intro, did you automate it?

if you can catch the guitars up to the drums you're rockin

LOL i posted some hours ago - but in the wrong topic (too confuzzing that there are actually 2 mixing contest topics) :zombie:

I wrote:

Hi,

just listened to some of the allready posted tracks! Keep up the cool work!

My fave so far is CJWalls mix. I absolutly like the guitars, i don't like the drums. Cool in some way (sounding a mixture of oldschool (snare) and modern (chrash-cymbals)) - but still room for improvement.

Gavin, the ballance is great, but what's that on the guitars? Sounds kind of phasey. Is it a short reverb? I would remove/reduce that. Or some phase problems with room-mics or different amp mics? If i interprete the pics right then there was used more than one mic. (wich is that what i prefer!) The drums are too room orientated as well. But i absolutly like tha ballance bass/guitars.

I hope i find some time after christmas to put my hands on that. When will the vox will be availeble? Mixing a song without vox makes not much sence for me...

cheers,
brandy

Gavin, the ballance is great, but what's that on the guitars? Sounds kind of phasey. Is it a short reverb? I would remove/reduce that. Or some phase problems with room-mics or different amp mics? If i interprete the pics right then there was used more than one mic. (wich is that what i prefer!) The drums are too room orientated as well. But i absolutly like tha ballance bass/guitars.

Cheers man!

What it might be:

I'd just bought Voxengo lampthruster and was testing it out so ran an instance on each of the 4 guitar busses i'd set up... Might have contributed.

I did this mix on the weekend, but only just got time to post it.
SoundClick MP3: StrakAudio - Band page with free MP3 music downloads on SoundClick
I tweaked it a bit today too, it use to be very snare and tom heavy. I tried to keep the guitars and bass pretty agressive and the drums natural, but phat.
I can't say that i'm as happy with the mix today as I was when I first started it, so maybee you guys could help me out a bit.

I did this mix on the weekend, but only just got time to post it.
SoundClick MP3: StrakAudio - Band page with free MP3 music downloads on SoundClick
I tweaked it a bit today too, it use to be very snare and tom heavy. I tried to keep the guitars and bass pretty agressive and the drums natural, but phat.
I can't say that i'm as happy with the mix today as I was when I first started it, so maybee you guys could help me out a bit.

Your session is running in the wrong sample rate. The track files are 48khz, your session sounds like its in 44k, making everything slower/lower pitched.

kaomao, seems slightly narrow and a bit low-middy

Listened to it yesterday... yep it sounds like ass!
You mean in general or just guitars sound low-middy?
To me to get a clear tone out of a boogie it's really difficult, I have to work hard and most of the times I have to boost frequencies.
Boosting it's something I don't do always on guitars, I do it just on boogies.... well a different mic placement maybe could fix that thing.
It was a very fast mix and I didn't listen to any cd's.
I'll do it better, I need to clear those guitars !

Thanks anyway for your feedback!

My favorite mixes are : Moony's one and Daunt's one
Clear stuff :) indeed

I've been sort of listening over to mine over the last few days and I dislike it the more I hear it. There's some mids in there that need to be gone. It's that eternal balance of low mids... too little and your mix sounds small, too much and it sounds boxy and dead. Also a lack of low-end... can't seem to find a way to get any more low-end into it without sacrificing clarity (and causing the Timeworks to shit itself with clipping).