new mix challenge ???

Awesome, I had a feeling it was. It was that SVT simulator wasn't it? It's my choice for re-amping all bass DI tracks. I love it to bits.

Ahhh, dude! You've GOT to get the Ampeg SVX plug! I love it for DI tracks, it really, REALLY sounds like an SVT rig. You can't get a ton of grit from it but it sounds huuggggeee! I used it on my mix blended w/Ronnie's distorted sound.

What's also really cool is that it was mix AND phase controls so that you can blend the SVT signal with the DI signal all within the plug.

here's mine
Have a listen, remember it's a 4 hours mix/mastering work!
I think I could fix better that double bass drum.
Anyway I wanna say to Ronnie that he's done a very pro tracking, I hadn't no issues with triggering the kick and the separation on this tracking is killer.
Those drum track are really well recorded!
I didn't apply too much eq on the guitars those sm57 tone is killer as well!!!

By the way, I'm really starting to grow tired of the Sonic Timeworks mastering limiter. I've done everything I can to tame transients with compression and other limiting up to it but the thing HATES toms. It just wants any reason to clip. Sure it's great for saving your transients and not getting that pumping sound, but it just clips way too often.

I used to have this problem with Timeworks when it first came out a long time ago. Basically I wasn't making very balanced mixes and using too much compression on the toms. You really have to use the EQ to get the toms to cut through to mix instead of just making them loud because this will fuck up your mix everytime and I think that this is your problem but you're only seeing it when you hit it hard with a limiter. I usually set the out to -.03, release of ~50 and try not to hit the limiter much more than 4.5-6db. I think this will help making Timeworks not do this for you. Also, try optimizing the low mids in the mix before hitting the limiter. I use Waves C1-comp sidechain for this when mastering a lot.

Question about the tracks:

The track "harmonies 3 1" is this stereo guitar stuff (room mic maybe?) with drum bleed and such and is fine, but I was wondering if you had that track with the upper lead tones (the dissonat stuff) because it's kind of buried in that track and i don't hear it in any off the other stuff. Do you have a more clear version of just that? I want to bring it out at the end more.

Real nice mix there Kaomao! Actually it's pretty close thow hat I've got at the moment. I just ca't decide wether I should replace the drums or not. I'm tempted to leave it all natural.

CFH, your maxed file is pumpimg like a mofo, monitor it quietly and listen to the top end pull down when the kicks hit.
I like CJwalls a lot, no complaints, possibly a little (very little) more bass
Tut your mix is in mono
guitargodgt I dont know what soundclick does compression wise but the top is funky (in a bad way) I bet its soundclick and MORE GUITARS its reall bass guitar heavy too

kaomao, seems slightly narrow and a bit low-middy

daunt, pretty nice, seems a tad bright in the cymbal hits, but overall cool, maybe back the snare down a db or 2

whoever named their file "fight with the snare", imported it to 44.1 it's pitched slow and down

moonlapse, the sneaplapse mix is very good, but again MORE GUITARS!, (Im must be a guitarist. I can hear the cymbals pumping a bit. this is my favorite mix next to cj's (and mine) nice snare
mx582, its real real bright, all top end man. pumpinf too.

I figured if I gave you fckers some feedback somebody might listen to mine

http://www.allcapsrecording.com/media/septic_ashes_ex_mix.mp3

funky ashes just listened to your final its still slow, convert your session 48k

Xes, I dunno, seems weird in the mids, I would say phasey for lack of a better description, a bit of mid eq on the 2 buss would help