New NEVERMORE album!

It's funny how subjective all this stuff is. People can say they prefer realism instead of fake sounding productions when its purely idealogical, but when a SUPER high quality real production hits it's not enough. I absolutely love the production of this album. You can hear wichers influence throughout, which I love, and andy stepped up the game massively here. I love the difference compared to tge. Material and production are completely different. Warrel is perfectly warrel on this album. He's hit his strides and is creating lyrical masterpieces. Pained angel, seriously. I believe when a band that can throw out technical like its toast (go watch loomis play tge live....seriously thats just disgusting) an album like this refines the brilliance down into a tighter package. Selection of notes and structure are eminently more important! They truly showed they can bring what we already knew they could, but did it in an entire album form. People I know on the fence about nevermore are digging it moreso then the last. So some technical metalheads won't like it as much...which is a big part of their audience, and Loomis stated it was a gamble. But when a gamble sounds this good it's gonna pay out bigtime!

Also cannot praise the box set + tshirt deal. Super cheap compared to buying the cd here ($27 cd only vs $40). Digipak edition, amazing case/artwork, and the coolest thing ever, that targets the very audience that supposed gamble was missing. The guitar cd. As someone whose posted a youtube vid of himself playing the tge arps to a backing track I made myself I gotta seriously throw down the appreciation for this stuff!

Basically; Holy shit a massive modern metal production that has....SPACE!

edit; better add this to the wall of text. If you're listening to the early rip that was released, delete your posts please. Every low bitrate, potentially premastered/test rips cause alot of unnecessary opinion around here. Judge the disc if you gotta judge!

Kind of OT, but I wasn't sure if there was already threads about this or not...

Did anyone ever enter into the Obsidian Conspiracy lyrics/vocal contest?

Did anyone hear Matt Smith's (Theocracy) entry? Gawd the chorus is amazing.

Nice to see a fellow Sneapster giving this a go. :kickass: Anyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm still not over the fact that his vocal lines seem to suit the song better than warrel's actual vocals lol.....maybe a tad to happy/powermetal-ish for a band like nevermore. actually that reminds me a lot of the jon schaffer/hansi kürsch solo project demons & wizards.

musically, i've grown to love the new album just as much as the other ones....loomis simply can't fail. i do not however like that it's very vocal centered, especially with the vocals sounding somewhat odd and underproduced. i'm sure andy would have made this record much much better if he also produced it.
that rhythm guitar tone is fucking sick though. i still want to know what amps ended up on the record dammit ^^

Yeah, I don't even like power metal and can happily say nobody touched Matt on that track. I was really underwhelmed hearing the actual version of 'Obsidian Conspiracy' after his.

Needed a touch more Blind Guardian in the choruses tho...

Finally got the vinyl in the mail today. There are a few standout tracks on the album, most notably the title track, but the song order is very strangely chosen, and it's hard to get into the album as a whole because of that. It feels to me like there's an overabundance of slow/depressing ballad-like tracks, but it may simply be an issue of pacing.

Loving the guitar tone, solos, as well as the bonus cover tracks. The t-shirt is nice too, this was a killer deal.

you're all set up now then shane? :kickass:

i'm still not over the fact that his vocal lines seem to suit the song better than warrel's actual vocals lol.....maybe a tad to happy/powermetal-ish for a band like nevermore. actually that reminds me a lot of the jon schaffer/hansi kürsch solo project demons & wizards.

musically, i've grown to love the new album just as much as the other ones....loomis simply can't fail. i do not however like that it's very vocal centered, especially with the vocals sounding somewhat odd and underproduced. i'm sure andy would have made this record much much better if he also produced it.
that rhythm guitar tone is fucking sick though. i still want to know what amps ended up on the record dammit ^^

Yes I'm curious about the amps used to track the guitars, to me sound like a 5150 blended with another amp, I can't hear the recto wibe in those guitars, but I could be wrong.

Hearing Matt Smith's vocal take over that one song has really ruined Nevermore for me... Now that I can envision the music with a great (IMO) singer, Dane's vocals really kill it for me :\ I can tell he's a good vocalist but his tone, phrasing, and overly dramatic delivery don't do anything (positive) for me.

Hearing Matt Smith's vocal take over that one song has really ruined Nevermore for me... Now that I can envision the music with a great (IMO) singer, Dane's vocals really kill it for me : I can tell he's a good vocalist but his tone, phrasing, and overly dramatic delivery don't do anything (positive) for me.

+1,000,000!!!! :)

Me thinks Jeff Loomis should do guitar on Theocracy's next album. Yes? lol

I bought it today. Dane's vocals ruin it for me. Matt's version of The Obsidian Conspiracy was maybe 10x better than the final vocals on the album.