New Opeth

Originally posted by Strangelight
Morbid Tales is best

UUUUUUHHHHHHHH!!!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

The new one is gonna be really strange Warrior said..... I like innovations but I don't want Cold Lake II.

Originally posted by sol83
UUUUUUHHHHHHHH!!!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

The new one is gonna be really strange Warrior said..... I like innovations but I don't want Cold Lake II.

He's been saying that for the past 10 years. I hope it's good anyway. Hey, I'm off to Greece tommorow, I'll play some Frost on Sunday in a club in Athens:cool: come down

New CF album
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "demands made" past and present relate directly to our artistic freedom and - perhaps even more to the point - our artistic integrity. These topics are extensive (and not: "expensive"), and they are usually connected to a trade-off of control of an album between the record company and the band. The company is usually afraid the band will go too far (especially in the case of CF) to still attain any commerical success and the band is usually concerned about the record company compromising an artistic concept or vision.

This process is magnified in the case of the new album, because it incorporates an *extremely* wide range of musical material, and some very radical views. Needless to say, this is why the "Probe" album we are working on right now pushes all these principles to the max. As did every other unusual album CF ever did, TMT and ITP.

As for the financial contents of the contracts on our desks right now: the 1980s are long gone, my friend, and the monetary amounts that are realistic now are outright meager in comparison. Especially for a high-risk album like ours, for which nobody - especially not the band - can guarantee any particular sales figures.

By the time the album will see the light of the day in 2003, we will have invested *at least* as much money in it as the record company, if not substantially more. We, and I in particular, have been financing the travelling, equipment, writing, and many recording sessions for this new CF album for over two years now, and we will still finance a significant amount of the production ourselves until industry money will come into play. And there is no way in hell any record company will ever reimburse us for all of this, unless the album will be an outstanding success.

in the name of the the entire band

Tom Gabriel Fischer, Zurich, Switzerland

Originally posted by Strangelight
He's been saying that for the past 10 years. I hope it's good anyway. Hey, I'm off to Greece tommorow, I'll play some Frost on Sunday in a club in Athens:cool: come down

Thanx, but I live in Salonika which is like 300 miles to the north, plus I'll be completely broke for the next week or so (I have to find a job soon:( ). I'm sure you all are gonna have a blast down there.... Next time come with Mick and co. and do a gig!!!:cool:

Originally posted by Forlorn Hope
:eek:Have you actually ever heard allmighty Morningrise??? There's no single other album that comes even close to it, except Metallica's Master of Puppets (imo ofcourse)

Yes, and BP is justy more diverse :p :p :p
Now I want to say something else: how many people are saying the early work of bands are the best and the new things sucks! eh? Like I'm the fan of the first hour, don't mess with me :p :yuk:

Originally posted by Mariner
Yes, and BP is justy more diverse :p :p :p
Now I want to say something else: how many people are saying the early work of bands are the best and the new things sucks! eh? Like I'm the fan of the first hour, don't mess with me :p :yuk:

thats a poor generalisation. doesnt work for ALL the bands in the world.

Originally posted by Don Corleone
thats a poor generalisation. doesnt work for ALL the bands in the world.

True, but sometimes its just like that. And I'm not saying the peeps saying negative thing 'bout new opeth are like that...

Okay! I have the new one, finally! It seems strong at first ear, we'll see later one how it developes... but I guess it won't exceed Blackwater Park... BP was faster, and a bit more acoustics. But that's probably because this is the heavy one, and the mellow one will be released in march. Anyway, sounds great!
Anyone else have it already?

I don't like the solo in the first song... sounds like a punkrocksolo...
the titletrack is really good, and the one after it (a fair judgement)

I've ordered it through a website. Haven't got it yet though.

@Mariner: There shouldn't be many acoustic parts on Deliverance because of Damnation being released in a few months.. you got it.
And Opeth isn't actually soloing that much. There are like 10 solos in their whole discography... it's their rhythms that lead the way..

Originally posted by TheMindzI
And Opeth isn't actually soloing that much. There are like 10 solos in their whole discography... it's their rhythms that lead the way..
It's not, is it, :confused: I remember more solos on the last disc: the punkrocksolo on 1.Wreath (5:08 (good one!)/ (8:00 (that one!)) 2 solos on 2.Deliverance (4:00/ 8:15) 3.A Fair Judgement (5:15/ 6:20) 4.Far Absent Friends (whole song in fact, this one is dicutable though) 5.Master's Apprentice (4:45 / 5:30 / 8:20) 6.By The Pain I see In Others (3:30 / 4:30)
So it seems there are a pretty lot of solos in it ;), I count 12! It probably is also on the other discs... (with newer stuff)

Well, there are some solos (a few) but it's still their rhythm sections that kick ass. None of their songs is actually based on some solo part, and a lot of (if not most) songs don't even have a solo. That's what I meant. I didn't listen to all the albums and found out there are "10" solos or something. That was pretty much just an example to help you get my point. AND I haven't listened to Deliverance but I'm pretty sure what I mentioned goes for this one as well.

If you like solos, you certainly don't listen to Opeth.. there are excellent soloists out there, and Akerfeldt/Lindgren aren't that good.

Hope that was clearer :)

Originally posted by Mariner
Okay! I have the new one, finally! It seems strong at first ear, we'll see later one how it developes... but I guess it won't exceed Blackwater Park... BP was faster, and a bit more acoustics. But that's probably because this is the heavy one, and the mellow one will be released in march. Anyway, sounds great!
Anyone else have it already?

i ordered it from amazon.com along with the special edition of blackwater park: the one that has the two acoustic bonus tracks and the video. i just cant wait. boy, do i love this band.

Originally posted by TheMindzI
Well, there are some solos (a few) but it's still their rhythm sections that kick ass. None of their songs is actually based on some solo part, and a lot of (if not most) songs don't even have a solo. That's what I meant. I didn't listen to all the albums and found out there are "10" solos or something. That was pretty much just an example to help you get my point. AND I haven't listened to Deliverance but I'm pretty sure what I mentioned goes for this one as well.

If you like solos, you certainly don't listen to Opeth.. there are excellent soloists out there, and Akerfeldt/Lindgren aren't that good.

Hope that was clearer :)

yeah, thats true, mindzI. opeth are not the best soloists ever, but i must say they come up with very good ones.

and of course, as you said, they are amazing at riffs and tunes and stuff. very original, indeed.