New Opeth

I thought of bumpin this back to top since I just recently started to get into Opeth. I bought Blackwater Park last sunday and haven't listened to anything else for a couple of days, pretty strong stuff. I really like the mixture of those deep growls and clean vocals, both which are done really really good. So, should I start to save money for the new album or wait till the acoustic one (since I really prefer the mellow-stuff, which I guess the new one doesn't contain that much?)

oh, and how does their older stuff and sound compare to BP?

Don will add some things more about this one for sure, but as far I do know; Still Life sounds quite similiar to BP, the new one Deliverance too, but it's heavier, less mellow moments (there are several of them, even a whole song (from about 2m30)
As Mikael says, "It's the most EVIL stuff we ever did"

Damnation will be played with sevaeral kind of 'weird' instruments... I'm wondering how it will sound and how they're gonna do it live (maybe a double set? one heavy, one easy?) I don't think it will be similar to their present work... I'm curious!

Originally posted by Crack Hitler
I thought of bumpin this back to top since I just recently started to get into Opeth. I bought Blackwater Park last sunday and haven't listened to anything else for a couple of days, pretty strong stuff. I really like the mixture of those deep growls and clean vocals, both which are done really really good. So, should I start to save money for the new album or wait till the acoustic one (since I really prefer the mellow-stuff, which I guess the new one doesn't contain that much?)

oh, and how does their older stuff and sound compare to BP?
Ah! :eek: You shouldn't have started with Blackwater Park! Or.... well, it's not bad or something, but your next Opeth album should be Morningrise, without any doubt. Deal? :)

Originally posted by Forlorn Hope
Ah! :eek: You shouldn't have started with Blackwater Park! Or.... well, it's not bad or something, but your next Opeth album should be Morningrise, without any doubt. Deal? :)

Uh.. ok, I guess :) How is it compared to BWP, cause I really liked the mellow parts too, since they made the growling stuff more effective..

Originally posted by Mariner
Don will add some things more about this one for sure, but as far I do know; Still Life sounds quite similiar to BP, the new one Deliverance too, but it's heavier, less mellow moments (there are several of them, even a whole song (from about 2m30)
As Mikael says, "It's the most EVIL stuff we ever did"

Damnation will be played with sevaeral kind of 'weird' instruments... I'm wondering how it will sound and how they're gonna do it live (maybe a double set? one heavy, one easy?) I don't think it will be similar to their present work... I'm curious!

yes, you can talk to me about opeth any time you like, day and night :p

hitler, first you go ahead the best album that ive ever listened to in my life: still life. it has two whole acoustic songs, which are truly beautiful, and lots of other great heavy songs with a lot of acoustic interludes. this was the album that got meinto opeth and now they are my fave band. a few people and i are thinking of opening a fan club. :)

and, hitler i guarantee the brutal stuff will grow on you...give that a chance. otherwise, you'll be dissmissing a huge part of opeth which they are the best at.

and here's another, incredible (for me, it's the best acoustic recorded by man) acoustic track: "to bid you farewell."

Originally posted by Don Corleone
yes, you can talk to me about opeth any time you like, day and night :p

and, hitler i guarantee the brutal stuff will grow on you...give that a chance. otherwise, you'll be dissmissing a huge part of opeth which they are the best at.

No no no, I wasn't saying I don't like or I dismiss the brutal stuff, just that the mellow parts made those parts more effective and I liked that. I like it more when albums are more diverse as opposed to whole full-lenght album sounding the same u know (few exceptions aside)... That's why I wanna know if earlier albums are more to the brutal side or are they atleast in some way more in the vein of BWP... I think I'll give the album you mentioned a shot or two. That is, when I have the money...

mariner, it should be without a tear i draw my parting GROAN"in your sig! :)
UP THE IRONS! :headbang:

Aye!!!!!!! Iron Maiden is gonna get aaaaaaaaaall of you!!!!!!
:devil:

what is wrong, sol83? i dont feel well, either, but my problem is university...so whats yours? family? money? job? university? friends? girls?
I'm waiting in my cold cell, as the bell begins to chime, reflecting on my past life, as and It doesn't have much time, cause it's 5 oclock, they'll take me to the gallows pole, the sands of time of me are running low :headbang:
cheered up Sol83 ???

Nothing really major..... Things with a certain female are not going as planned plus I'm completely broke since summer and I have to do something about that, I can't keep asking me parents for money, I don't think it's very nice. Anyway, it'll pass soon I guess.... I'll just keep on listening more and more music!!!

Of course. Hope I'm here though. I might go somewhere for a week or so during the Christmas period. Don't know yet...

@ Hitler...

I am growing to the band nowadays...I have listened "To Bid you Farewell" a few years ago and was INCREDIBLY Hooked,i mean this song is IMO the most beautiful mellow metal song ever made!!! This song is unbelievably beautiful...and i heard so many of this stuff cause i love it most - mellow metal sogns rule in fact.

So i DL one opeth albom those days but was totally blown off by their growls....i kinda disliked them from beginning and didnt give the stuff a chance unfortunately... I loved the song but deleted rest....
Well after i got Benighted,Harvest and Credence as an advice to check out mellow songs i thought only: This band cant do bad things. This stuff is SO good that they just can do only good. And now i got all their alboms except BWP and i just love em.
THe best is still Morningrise imo but the easy answer to WHY Opeth is SO loved is very simple- their music is so challengeing and innovative and good that everybody finds his best in smth different. In all official BEST OPETH ALBOM votes ya ll see VERY close results FOR ALL alboms. I mean there is NO single albom that stands out. All are good, usually there is just one ya like best. And for each its a different one. For me its Morningrise so far. Just because of Black Roe Immortal and To bid you farewell...but i love all of it so far! GET ALL- ya wont be dissapointed. Each one has some mellow songs incl. the new Deliverance with the beautiful "A fair Judgement" and "For Absent Friends"....

Btw Anathema is also so good only bec they have no fallouts. Each albom is amazingly good for its part and everybody has its hit. I am between Alternative4 and Eternity. Eternity was the one which brought me into Anathema and perhaps its still my fav though!