New possible spins on upcoming Opeth record...

The Hubster said:
Many people here know how much I hated GR, so I wont go into my routine bash of it. I know I will get a bashing for what I'm about to write, but so be it. So, in a "shorthand" version:

What are some of the things would I like to see on the next album?

- bring back some of the dark romance and fantasy of their earlier works... no more supermarket music!

- cut back on the keys

- get RID of those fucking cheap ass chugg riffs, I don't want to hear rock music of suburbia

- expand on the psychedelia i.e. the RECORDED version of Closure, bring in a journey aspect to the sound, create spacials and some vastness, more experiments with Eastern instruments and sounds

- cut back on polished production, find a balance between raw and "finished", bring in some TEXTURE for gods sake: I want to hear the instruments, not a fucking *constructed, merged wav file*

- cut back on the major keys please, enough of the happy vibes!

- up the lyrical structure: the lyrics on GR were appallingly expressed. One thing I loved about Opeth was the complexity of the lyrical expression, more poetics dammit - I want intelligence in lyrics, theyve done it before!

I agree with most of the above...
For me, the first 4 Opeth cd's are the only ones that get listened to any more on a regular basis. History shows, youthful energy (and the natural aggressiveness that goes with it) is key when you are a heavy metal band.
Sadly, I see a lot of similiarities between Opeth and Metallica...

The Hubster said:
Many people here know how much I hated GR, so I wont go into my routine bash of it. I know I will get a bashing for what I'm about to write, but so be it. So, in a "shorthand" version:

- bring back some of the dark romance and fantasy of their earlier works... no more supermarket music!

- cut back on the keys

- get RID of those fucking cheap ass chugg riffs, I don't want to hear rock music of suburbia

- expand on the psychedelia i.e. the RECORDED version of Closure, bring in a journey aspect to the sound, create spacials and some vastness, more experiments with Eastern instruments and sounds

- cut back on polished production, find a balance between raw and "finished", bring in some TEXTURE for gods sake: I want to hear the instruments, not a fucking *constructed, merged wav file*

- up the lyrical structure: the lyrics on GR were appallingly expressed. One thing I loved about Opeth was the complexity of the lyrical expression, more poetics dammit - I want intelligence in lyrics, theyve done it before!

i dont agree completely, but i have to admit i feel mostly the same.

Monsterxman said:
Sadly, I see a lot of similiarities between Opeth and Metallica...

I really cannot see Opeth releasing something as lacklustre as St. Anger. I really hope they have more pride in their music than that. I don't think there's anything wrong with the more recent albums, just they've strayed from the areas that they're strongest in. I applaud the band for trying to evolve to stop their music from stagnating which has happened to so many bands. If you want an example, look at Tool. Chances are, the next album will hit the new Opeth sound right on the head and blow us away.

Don't forget, Opeth have copped a lot of shit for GR. A lot of undeserved shit. I don't know if this will effect the way the next album is written, or if RR will take it into account and ask them to do something different. Who knows?

The Hubster said:

- cut back on the keys

I completely disagree on those points ^

And wtf do you mean by '*constructed, merged wav file*'????

This is taken from bravewords....

"We're trying to fix the visas for the Gigantour. Gonna start rehearsing eventually but we don't know how much time we'll get on stage. Have a few cool songs for ya if you're going. Done a little bit of writing too and it sounds...twisted."

It's nice to know that he has started to write...even though "twisted" might mean anything.I guess he again has high hopes of doing a truly eeevil album:Smug: If I remember right the same time before Ghost reveries Mike described the material so far with word "sick".But it'll probably be very much akin to the latest release with even more flavours from Mikes idols.

FuneralPortrait said:
I completely disagree on those points ^

Back up what you say. Why do you completely disagree?

Hammurabb said:
I guess he again has high hopes of doing a truly eeevil album:Smug:

What's wrong with that? My Arms Your Hearse was evil, and it's an absolute must have for any metal fan.

Hammurabb said:
But it'll probably be very much akin to the latest release with even more flavours from Mikes idols.

What, isn't it ok if he takes inspiration from people he's looked up to since he was a kid?

biggsy said:
What's wrong with that? My Arms Your Hearse was evil, and it's an absolute must have for any metal fan.

What, isn't it ok if he takes inspiration from people he's looked up to since he was a kid?

You got me all wrong,I would love to hear a dark album such as MAYH but I think
it's not gonna happen.Mike said before ghost reveries that the coming album would be sick and evil but that's not how it sounds to my ears (Love the album anyways...) and I didn't say that there's anything wrong in taking inspiration from your idols.Chill out :saint:

I think on this aspect of things also.... (as much as I would love a darker tone to current day Opeth) consider, Mike's a family man now... it softens you up, and i don't mean in a bad way. So his outlook on music would be even more different than before.

This is hard, saying what you'd do if you were your idols, i hope they don't listen to any of us. BUT...

I'd like the complexity and loving attention put back into the riffs, like in When or Leper Affinity, and i'd like a heavy heavy album, in mood more than necessarily music. GR doesn't really hit emotionally. I also didn't like the production on it, it's like metal-lite. I think they should leave eastern textures alone, i thought Atonement was reali poor...

Ideally i want to know what mike would write NOW if he was trying to do a big sprawling black metal album. All this soft stuff creeping in has been at the expense of the music rocking, and I want one more vicious album before it consumes them. Alternatively I'll have a stab at writing it, but it probably won't be as good...

Hammurabb said:
You got me all wrong,I would love to hear a dark album such as MAYH but I think
it's not gonna happen.Mike said before ghost reveries that the coming album would be sick and evil but that's not how it sounds to my ears (Love the album anyways...).

That's fair enough in retrospect but honestly, I have no idea what Mike's gonna do next. The man is crazy. Whatever people think he'll do, he does the opposite. I'm really hoping for that evil "MAYH" sound again, and perhaps because a lot of people expect the prog thing to keep going, he'll write some sickeningly evil shit:kickass:

"Twisted" has more a chance of meaning "psychedelic" than "evil" given the direction they have been going. Honestly, I don't know which I would prefer.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say I WANT OPETH TO BRING THAT JAZZ! I feel that something is missing since Still Life although Deliverance was sort of a nod to all of Opeth's Jazz idols.....hahaha.....!!